Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » what should i get for my first car??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 06:20 Go to next message
hey all,
ive been thinking about my first car... im thinking of a 1989 galant turbo but i really want something i can drift in, i want something affordable, fast(ish) and that i can upgrade. i dont want a skyline and not a rotor.. not for my first car anyway:) ohh i also have a 9 grand nz budget Razz !
  Send a private message to this user    
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift + first car = bad

buy something cheap, learn to drive properly and in a few years buy your drift car.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I has in the same boat as you for a while but now I have gotten a Sprinter. If you want some thing that would be cheap and in your budget that it turbo I would go for a S13. You should be able to pick up one with an SR20DET engine in it but if not you would still be able to get the CA18DET that would still have a bit of power. you might even be able to get a 180sx with a CA18DET but I found the the 180's were generally more expenseive when I was looking at them. Then If you want to go for some thing that you would need to spend money on to get it in a repectable state there is The AE86, as you should know they vary on price depending on what they have. Then there are the older soroars (sorry spelt wrong) which are supposed to be pretty good.
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
learn to drive first dude, i'm 17 and ive already had 2 accidents in my first car and im damn lucky its only an ae82 rolla, cheap to fix. Keep the crazy driving to the track and skid pan and dont think you are invincible and can do anything.

As for choices, a bmw e30 318i, a nice holden gemini, ae86, s13 silvia, do up an older celica... the choice is yours depending on what you like, old school or whatever

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 09:01]

rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhaha yeah, i know how to drive all good and im getting used to the drift Razz, the only accident ive had was in a twin turb legacy wagon on a gravel rd doing 110kph in second gear.. and that was when i was 14 Smile apart from that i can drive all good and im getting better at drifting. a s13 is good and so is a 180 same with teh ae86 ill look into them a bit more and keep the ideas coming in Very Happy
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rotor_life wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 20:26

ahhaha yeah, i know how to drive all good and im getting used to the drift Razz, the only accident ive had was in a twin turb legacy wagon on a gravel rd doing 110kph in second gear.. and that was when i was 14 Smile apart from that i can drive all good and im getting better at drifting. a s13 is good and so is a 180 same with teh ae86 ill look into them a bit more and keep the ideas coming in Very Happy

Surprised who drives a twin trub legacy wagaon at 110kph on a gravel when there 14..thats bullshit Razz

NOLAN
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was driftin triton utes when i was 13, that was hell fun.
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you rate yourself like that, you're only gonna get laughed at when u have an accident
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate you are in NZ, so cars are cheap, and readily available. Get a SW20, they can be had for well under your $9K budget, you could probably get a Turbo if you were crazy enough. I'd stick to a N/A just for your first year driving.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Wed, 09 February 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about insurance ????
has the thought ever crossed your mind ?
I must admit i was drifting when i was younger.
it wasn't on tarmac tho.
it was doing it in a v8 landcruiser and a datsun 120y.
I promise you now you can't drive aswell as you think you can !
Get something light with plenty of parts available and unless ur a "mummy can i use the credit car to fill up my car" person then something cheap on petrol.
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmmmmmmm Confused im not sure i think i might go after a corrolla DX an older one maybe 1982, i like them and there crome bumper and also ive seen guys with rotors in them : D!! so i could save money with one of them and get it looking good and see were i go from there. i might even get round to putting a rotor in it later on, but first i need to find one that is in resonable condition Sad
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thinking you are a good driver does not make you a good driver.
Rather than become a statistic wait a year or two before you buy your dorifto car.
What are you currently "drifting" in if this is to be your first ride?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Billy Carts"
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u wanna drift in something go for the ma61 supra, there cheep to buy and would make a good drifter coz there light.
there non turbo but the inline 6 should be enough to get the wheels spining in the wet...
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get something dirt cheap like an RA60 Celica or something...and no, nor rotaries for you yet...you don't want them to get any rarer do you?
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, corolla DX is my choice i think, its true im probibly not the best driver in the world and i dont want to screw up anything valuble or rare and the the car ive been drifting in is my uncles s13 Razz thanks for all your opinoins
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
83'ish ae70 rolla, cheap to pick up and modding potential is good. Other options are something like a datsun 1600, Chrysler galant etc.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want to pick up a few mechanic skills grab a 120y and throw the 180b motor in it.
parts are cheap and best of all the cars so light that when u roll it, it hardly does any damage.
that's what i used to fang around my paddocks.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres only one thing that can be stupidider than buying a turbo car for a first car, and thats buying a V8.

Not to mention the fact that you want to "drift".

i was hot into the turbo cars and all that crap, but i chose a van for my first year of driving, and beleive me, this thing has more than enough power to slip the wheels in the dry, and WAYYYY too much in the wet..

its not like the cars are going to run away, theyll be there for later..

get something cheap on petrol and manual, and youll be a happy chappy, best to spend 9k, on a cheap car in good condition, than a more expensive car in poor condition..

again, this is only my opinion, but you asked... its up to you whether you take it..

i vote for the ae86, cheap, reliable, manual, and you can drop in a better motor or upgrade completely when you learn to drive..

whatever you choose, be sensible and take care of yourself...

cheers,

Eldar.O.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just buy a shitbox commo learn to drive in that then save up a bit sell it off and buy soemting better after you have a bit more experience
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmmmmm ae86's dont come buy that much, i saw a dinged up one sell for 6 grand and one with a cracked chassis sell for about 2500, if i found a good one for 3 or 4 grand i would buy it without a doubt but that isnt that common :/!
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont go wrong with a AE86!!
that would be a crazy thing to drive!!
always liked them...
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Thu, 10 February 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try posting on an NZ forum, there is a huge difference in price and availability of cars compared to Oz. Most of the advice you get will be wrong.

Callum
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i will. but how much do ae86's cost over the ditch??
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im kind of in the same boat, my younger brother is now ready to buy his first car, but we have limited him to a $5000 limit. so far the list for him has been :
AE92 SX or GTi (seca or rolla)
E30 BMW 318i or 323i
Toyota Celica SX
Nissan Pulsar SSS or Q (series1 N14)
Mazda Astina SP (1991)
Daihatsu Charade (i reckon the 94 model 4door dumped on 17s looks really sexy)

but then again its all on your tastes.
goodluck dude.
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i'd get a bmw but they start falling to peices once there 10 years old :S i still want a galant turbo just because i like the look of them when there sacked on 18's and go hard with little modifications. but i think i really should get more exp on the road so i think i should keep working and save and in the mean while my friend has a warrented 1980's rwd starlet up for sale and should give it to me for under a grand, is that a better idea then my origanal one Razz??
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we had an e30 323i 4 door, slammed on the floor, rolling on 18s, not once it gave us problems only that the oil sump would crack (car was to low). however you fall upon some really f**ked up ones but hey theres a little box with approx 8lights that tell you whats up with the car.
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmmmmm, this box.... lol Ive only herd this from people and my grandmas ones head cracked from granny driving :/!! ummm im not sure if its true or not but i think it is
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the "box" Razz is mounted inside on the roof of the car, in the middle above the front windscreen. i dont know if there on 318i's. it probably cracked from over heating as bmws tend to that when there cooling system isnt up to date, they need to be maintained but pay back with long fun years of thrash Razz. Note: manual + 323i = fun

im trying to get my little brother to go for a rolla or pulsar i reckon these were the best 1st cars made
rotor_life
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: what should i get for my first car?? Fri, 11 February 2005 07:13 Go to previous message
older palsars are bad im not sure if there called pulsars though i think there called an exa Razz but the turbo ones are cool Razz they arnt to fastt runing in the mid to late 15s Smile but i think a rolla is better
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:"Viscous LSD". Can someone please explain the "viscous" in this sense.
Next Topic:Engine Manual? - 2tg
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 15:44:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068440437316895 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.