Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RollaLevin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Fri, 15 November 2002 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark is still correct. I try to think of it like one of those top-down spaceship games where all you can do is steer and thrust.

Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 16 November 2002 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose that makes all us opposition, 'full-on wannabe dorifto tossbags' Very Happy

Nark wrote on Thu, 14 November 2002 15:54

The front wheels should be pretty much straight.

So you retract this statement?, for if the wheels are piointing 'pretty much straight' ahead there can be no understeer

Nark wrote:

Err... If you decelerate midway through a corner you push the weight to the front and you will lose traction to the rear...

Err... not quite. Fair enough, if jump off the throttle it will swap ends, but reduce the torque transfer to the rear wheels and it will generate more friction, pushing the car into its effective steering angle.

I also very much doubt that the rear wheels are generating anywhere enough friction to overpower the fronts lateral grip. Try a standstill with some steer, i believe that setp off the brake and the car will just lauunch into some well formed donuts rather than plough understeering in a straight line.

Yes in a slide you are moving but the general principle remains

Nark wrote:

Without the understeer, there's only a certain amount of power that you can put down before the car spins.
Understeer allows you to put down more power. And if the wheel is straight, you're putting down the maximum power that's possible.

Once again I disagree

Well you've all heard what i have to say there shall be no more (unless someone really asks for it Very Happy ). If Those of you who wish to live in your magical fairy land continue to choose blissful ignorance then by all means do so.

And if im so wrong, how come is your momma such a bitch Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 16 November 2002 13:19]

tofu_ricerboy
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 16 November 2002 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CheeseCake_Bandit wrote on Mon, 11 November 2002 11:57

Just Curious,

Are there any readers, or posters out there that have Drift Spec Toyotas, or any info on the minimum requirement add-ons for some cool sidewayz action

Drifting in a standard OLD car is not exactly the best and doesn't do wonders for the standard hardware

Oh, and you don't have to be a RWDriver to go sidewayz, FWDrivers have just as much fun ^^; - Just a friendly thought ^^)

i drive a panda Hachiroku trueno with Fujiwara tofu shop decals (just like the initald D) it runs a 4AGE20V with motec computer, plus full tein suspension and urethane bushes all around, 9 point roll cage, stripped interior bride bucket seats and harnesses, 3 inch titanium exhaust heaps of camber 17in Volk engineering rims + yokohama advan tyres, carbon bonnet, air horn and hello kitty gauge faces. Cool
i drift because my car is good at it, i love getting it sideways well before the corner and drift all the way through to well past the corner. Very Happy

Rex: why do you make fun of something that could out drift you whenever it wants to? i will try and post some photos but i dont have a digital camera so it could take a couple of weeks to get some photos for you.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 16 November 2002 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you can see what nark is trying to say.. you do stil have some form of steering in the direction that you intend to go, but the front wheels will slip outward in the turn...

as far as I go, drift is being sideways into the corner.. not at the end.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 16 November 2002 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, this thread sure got out of hand in a hurry! Take it to the race track boys, theory is all well and good but it has little relevance when the rubber hits the road. I've yet to see any real drift in this country, so get out there and show us all how it's done! I'm especially interested to see Nark perform this "understeering while oversteering" trick, should be entertaining to watch. Wink
tofu_ricerboy
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 16 November 2002 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not in Australia!!!!!!!!!!! So how will i show you all up??????????
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 16 November 2002 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Sat, 16 November 2002 23:48

I suppose that makes all us opposition, 'full-on wannabe dorifto tossbags' Very Happy

Nark wrote on Thu, 14 November 2002 15:54

The front wheels should be pretty much straight.

So you retract this statement?, for if the wheels are piointing 'pretty much straight' ahead there can be no understeer

Nark wrote:

Err... If you decelerate midway through a corner you push the weight to the front and you will lose traction to the rear...

Err... not quite. Fair enough, if jump off the throttle it will swap ends, but reduce the torque transfer to the rear wheels and it will generate more friction, pushing the car into its effective steering angle.

I also very much doubt that the rear wheels are generating anywhere enough friction to overpower the fronts lateral grip. Try a standstill with some steer, i believe that setp off the brake and the car will just lauunch into some well formed donuts rather than plough understeering in a straight line.

Yes in a slide you are moving but the general principle remains

There is such a thing called momentum that doesn't really exist when you're sitting still.
This means that when you're moving, the front end will like to continue moving which makes it very possible to have understeer when the wheels are straight.

Anyway, I think we've all had enough of this stuff, I don't even "drift".
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sun, 17 November 2002 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i'm glad so many people replied to my Question, but only maybe two people answered it

I wasn't after a whole theory lesson on what drift is and so on, i only wanted info on car setups for drifting so i could get an idea of what can be done as not screw the beautiful internals of my lovely Toyota

^^)
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sun, 17 November 2002 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i couldn't be stuffed reading the thread, only a tiny bit..

But I think a lot of ppl r too scared to be labled ricers, especially in such a forum where everyone tries to make sure that they bought their ae86 n such for performance and not from Initial D.

I guess I never realised how Australia is slow on the drift scene, with hardly any people building cars for mainly drifting.
Not many of us has that kind of money to throw around I guess.

I reckon those guys at C-red with their sil-eighty drift good. [I think u can find clips at c-red.com.au]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sun, 17 November 2002 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drift is to handling what neons are to illumination.

What more needs to be said.
4-AGE.T-18
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Mon, 18 November 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can drift cos my sticker says I can.

hehehe..

to watch full jap drift vids is amazing. Ive never seen anybody do this in aus yet on bituman except one guy who is a professional ARC rally driver. But he has no respect for traffic...lol.

cheers
Sean
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Tue, 19 November 2002 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an AE86 with lots of drift parts on it

I give it a go, some of the Adelaide members would have seen the beast in action, including Rex

But the beast is disassembled at the moment, pending becoming a boosted, better-drifting beast

Cheers

Statts
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Thu, 21 November 2002 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, as far as setups for drift goes, your rule of thumb is as follows -

big negative camber on the front, 0 camber on the back, lsd, v. stiff suspension (especially on the back) big rear sway bar, sticky race tyres on the front, and bald shitty road tyres soaked in diesel on the back. lots of stickers, roll cage, and balls of steel. (brain of cauliflower is optional).
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Thu, 21 November 2002 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Sat, 16 November 2002 23:48

Nark wrote:

I agree with Nark here, if I go around a round about in the wet, I can be going pretty slow, take foot off accelerator my back slides out then accelerting keeps it out.

When at wakefield I spun once because I went into a corner a bit fast, backed off mid corner causing me to spin.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Thu, 21 November 2002 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know much about the theory but I recall once that I was driving, turning a bit too fast in the wet. The rear started to slide and I counter steered and backed off at the same time. The rears gained so much grip (no torque from the motor) that the car spun in the opposite direction to the slide due to the counter steer. So backing off may not nessesarily cause drift or whatever.
But on the other hand I used to have a 626 and I could just boot it through a corner and release the gas then it would slide better than anything I have ever driven, with suprisingly good control. It was front wheel drive too and absolutly stock.
There are a lot of factors that contribute to the handling of a car and you cant say that so and so will happen every time due to only a few factors. It is extremely situational, the only way to really find out is to take it to the track. And one persons experience with one car will undoubtedly be different to another's in a different car...
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Thu, 21 November 2002 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
froodogs wrote on Thu, 21 November 2002 17:08

ok, as far as setups for drift goes, your rule of thumb is as follows -

big negative camber on the front, 0 camber on the back, lsd, v. stiff suspension (especially on the back) big rear sway bar, sticky race tyres on the front, and bald shitty road tyres soaked in diesel on the back. lots of stickers, roll cage, and balls of steel. (brain of cauliflower is optional).

This sounds like a setup for someone that either doesnt know how to make their car drift, or doesn't have the balls to hit a corner at speed.

To the list I would include about 2mm toe out, big castor, wide track and not massive (maybe 2 degrees) camber for the front

for the rear, zero camber is not important, nissans do very well running 1 - 2 degrees camber on rear and as for crap tyres soaked in diesel, what a joke, if you need this, either your car lacks the grunt and setup, or you lack the balls.

Cheers

Chris
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Fri, 22 November 2002 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like someone needs to chill the fuck out. the bald/crap/diesel tyres thing was a joke. if you take something (drifting) which is basically for show and a bit of fun so seriously, that you feel the need to flame me about my suggestions, i think you need to breathe a little more.
breathe in. breathe out.
there, isn't that better?
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sat, 23 November 2002 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Norbie, you've never seen a four wheel drift in australia? what state you in? I've seen a certin sprinter rip a four wheel drift arounr a certin corner.

I won't mention names as you might call him a "drift wanna be bro fully sick" sorta guy, and well, I nearly forgot to take the corner (I was following him) at the time, the "drift" started a bit "late" in the corner and caught me by total suprise. but hey, it's a weirdly shaped corner.

The way a car moves when it does that, it's beautiful. absolutely beautiful.

Oh i forgot, that was totally inspirational, you know who you are Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 23 November 2002 20:31]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone Got A DRIFT Spec Toyota ^^? Sun, 24 November 2002 04:47 Go to previous message
I've seen plenty of people getting their car sideways, but I haven't seen anyone I'd call a true drifter.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Soon to rejoin the Toyota family!!!!
Next Topic:One beat up WRX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:23:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047152042388916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.