Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 Power steering?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EMD-AE86
Occasional Poster

February 2005
icon5.gif  AE86 Power steering? Sat, 12 February 2005 05:47 Go to next message
Hey i was just wondering, do any AE86 sprinters (aus spec) come with power steering?
if so which ones???

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sat, 12 February 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no jap only

[Updated on: Sat, 12 February 2005 05:58]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sat, 12 February 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interestingly,

some japanese SR (ae85) had em.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sat, 12 February 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if you get technical i think there was a very small few (about 100) that came 4ag,p/s and drum brake lsd. A bare bones sport edition or something.

Garth may tell us if its true or not.

Either way its difficult to find a AE86 with p/steering that isnt an import.

Cheers

Steve
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sat, 12 February 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about power assist? did any come with that as an option?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power assist == power steering.

I don't understand why so many people want P/S in a small light RWD car like the AE86. Do you all have girly arms or something? Razz
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only gt-apex came with power steering
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me niether norbie, maybe power steering in a 1700kg boat, but not the sprinter... gota build up your limp wrists! Twisted Evil
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 21:03

well if you get technical i think there was a very small few (about 100) that came 4ag,p/s and drum brake lsd. A bare bones sport edition or something.

Cheers

Steve

there was a selection of 100 or so specially imported JDM levin GTV's that came out with 4ag and drum brake LSD

JDM GTV did NOT have an option for Power Steering and neither did these 100 cars

Only cars which included PS from factory was AE86 GT apex and a few of the upper class ae85's (only as an option tho)
Tomoki
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

Im sorry if this topic has aready been covered (i'm not sure).

Im in kinda of a hurry to know whether its possible to add power steering to a Japanese model AE86.

Would it be 'plug and play' if the factory power steering parts (that came in other AE86s in Japan) were sourced and fitted? Including the steering rack.

Will there be any problematic issues in technical, balance and control? Like, will everything that relates to the steering system require re- adjustment?

The reason that the query bears in my mind is that - if a car came without PS, it would usually be not designed with it. However, if the same car model came out, one with and one without power steering, it should be possible right?

Sorry, I don't have much technical knowledge about these things, sorry if I was troublesome.

Thank you.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomoki wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 19:27

Hello,

Im sorry if this topic has aready been covered (i'm not sure).

Im in kinda of a hurry to know whether its possible to add power steering to a Japanese model AE86.

yes
Quote:

Would it be 'plug and play' if the factory power steering parts (that came in other AE86s in Japan) were sourced and fitted? Including the steering rack.

yes. change rack and ect parts plug in and your away.

Quote:

Will there be any problematic issues in technical, balance and control? Like, will everything that relates to the steering system require re- adjustment?

changing a steering rack is a pretty big deal. id get it checked out afterwards by a steering shop and a wheel alignment also to be sure

Quote:

The reason that the query bears in my mind is that - if a car came without PS, it would usually be not designed with it. However, if the same car model came out, one with and one without power steering, it should be possible right?

it is possible 100%. the car was designed for BOTH.

Quote:

Sorry, I don't have much technical knowledge about these things, sorry if I was troublesome.

Thank you.

no problemo. glad to help. Wink
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 12:25

Do you all have girly arms or something? Razz

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 21:47

Norbie wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 12:25

Do you all have girly arms or something? Razz

i wouldnt have power steering in 1 million years
AND i have girly arms Wink
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can fit it, I've done it. However, you need to get the crossmember (although with a grinder, welder, etc. it's not very hard to change the original one), steering column, steering arms, and a few other little bits, as well as the rack, pump, hoses, etc. Ask yourself how keen you really are, and see how much these parts are going to cost you...
Tomoki
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone, it has cleared many things up for me.

Hmm, so its not that easy. I assumed that it was very plug and play since many of the same model came with and without PS in Japan. The Japanese AE86 we are looking at doesn't have PS (however some same models did), and thought that it should be rebuilt back to original standard/new state with the 'proper' factory PS fitted (with some professional help of course).

Would that sound realistically healthy to the car?

Thanks again.

truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Power steering? Sun, 13 February 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think skaney had some gear for ps pm him
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 Power steering? Mon, 14 February 2005 02:23 Go to previous message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 15:12

FKN16V wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 21:03

Cheers

Steve

there was a selection of 100 or so specially imported JDM levin GTV's that came out with 4ag and drum brake LSD

JDM GTV did NOT have an option for Power Steering and neither did these 100 cars

Only cars which included PS from factory was AE86 GT apex and a few of the upper class ae85's (only as an option tho)

there were 41 oz delivered gtvs delivered to australia for motorsport use not 100
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 (remove fuse = rwd)???
Next Topic:Just got my self an RA65 CELICA !
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 23:05:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064778327941895 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.