Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

time has come mr2 power up Sat, 12 February 2005 06:20 Go to next message
Ok, now my stock mr2 turbo is good, but it need more power and i need to able to rev it more than 4500-5000rpm. So heres my thoughts

3" dump pipe from turbo into a 3" hi flow cat to a hi flow muffler probably a 3" cannon (dont hate teh rice Razz)
pod filter blocked off from engine bay and stuck nice and deep into the side air vent
Fuel cut defender set to 14psi
up the boost with manual turbosmart boost controller to 12psi
intercooler water spray

hows that sound anything else i should consider? will that get me to around 130kw atw??

Cheeers
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: time has come mr2 power up Sat, 12 February 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Increasing the boost will make it fall over sooner. There are two big factors that make the Gen2 3S run out of breath so early, the first is head flow the cams are just too small to get a good enough charge into the engine at high revs. The second is the CT26, the turbo doesn't have enough flow potential to feed the engine at high revs.

The mods you've listed will help, especially the dump pipe and exhaust. Make sure you get the mixtures checked and verify there is no detonation when you have the fuel cut defender installed and the boost cranked as it is likely to destroy the engine if not done correctly.

Those mods should get you close to the 130KW mark.

I'd keep an eye out for a CT20B from a late model 3SGTE. This will help with the problem of the CT26 running out of flow. Increasing the head flow on the otherhand is a little more expensive. The ports are already a bit extreme so I'd get some cams around the 256-264 degree mark for it.
turbocaldina
Regular

July 2004
Re: time has come mr2 power up Mon, 14 February 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the blitz computer off RAVGT4 and it has a boost cut and speed cut aswell as more mapping to suit more boost
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: time has come mr2 power up Mon, 14 February 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbocaldina wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 20:16

get the blitz computer off RAVGT4 and it has a boost cut and speed cut aswell as more mapping to suit more boost

It's also for a ST205 gen3 engine. This will not work on a SW20 Gen2 engine without a hell of a lot of wiring work.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: time has come mr2 power up Mon, 14 February 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of interest (and haven't searched sorry) what are the stock cams duration and lift? anyone know? Are there differences between gen 1,2 & 3 3sgte engines?

Cheers
Joel
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: time has come mr2 power up Mon, 14 February 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea about Gen 1 gear but the Gen 2 and Gen 3 have different intake cams. The intake cam on the Gen3 has about 8 degrees more duration than the intake on the Gen2. They both run the same exhaust cam.

The Gen3 head also allows higher lift cams than the Gen2 head without modification. As well as the fact that the Gen 2 has shim over valve actuation, high lift cams actually hit the head casting in the Gen2 where they do not in the Gen3.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: time has come mr2 power up Tue, 15 February 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are the cams interchangeable?

ie run a gen 3 intake cam on a gen 2 motor? and would that with gettin more air into the engine at higher revs?

edit:- Also has anyone read this http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

is a load of crap?? or can i really get 200rwhp by doing those mods

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 01:52]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: time has come mr2 power up Tue, 15 February 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 12:37

are the cams interchangeable?

ie run a gen 3 intake cam on a gen 2 motor? and would that with gettin more air into the engine at higher revs?

edit:- Also has anyone read this http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

is a load of crap?? or can i really get 200rwhp by doing those mods

For the Gen 2 / 3 they definately... Classique has been running Gen3 cams in his Gen2 for a while.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: time has come mr2 power up Tue, 15 February 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The standard Gen 3 intake cam can be used in the Gen2 head to improve breathing a little.

The MRControls thing is reasonably accurate, if somewhat outmoded in the use of slipshod management methods. It is also based around measurements from dynojet dyno's, these tend to read significantly higher than dynodynamics.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: time has come mr2 power up Tue, 15 February 2005 03:18 Go to previous message
ahh cool, i'll keep an eye out for a CT20b and a gen 3 intake cam. lol maybe i should have just bought the gen 3 Wink

Cheers for you help guys, i'll let ya know how the mods go, doing dyno runs before and after the mods.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 + 1J + digital dash = confusing fuel guage.
Next Topic:MAP Sensor Issues
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 05:54:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047428607940674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.