Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frayli
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 04:59 Go to next message
Im thinking of buying one has anyeone had any good bad or otherwise experiences? Any help on the topic would be great. Also due to their weight is the power a linear pull or does it kick you in the ass as the turbos spool? Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's a mitsubishi, nuf said.

But in all seriousness i've never been in one, and can't really comment, they look like a cheap supra imitation to me.
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Mitsubishi GTO was Mitsubishi's flagship sports car from 1991-1999. The GTO was named the 3000GT in the United States in order to avoid confusion and anger amongst fans of the Ferrari GTO sports car series and Pontiac GTO muscle car. The GTO was also built in the US as the Dodge Stealth from 1991 to 1996.

The 3000GT was built in three major versions: base, SL, and the top-of-the-range VR-4. Japanese customers also had special lightened and tuned-up MR (Mitsubishi Racing) versions of the GTO. The Stealth came in base, ES, R/T, and R/T Twin Turbo versions. The base versions were powered by a naturally-aspirated V6 engine, had a choice of a 5-speed manual or an automatic transmission, and came with standard front wheel drive. The SL was essentially a luxury version of the base model, with extras such as leather and a sunroof and slightly more engine power. The VR-4, MR, and R/T Twin Turbo models had a twin turbocharged version of the V-6, all wheel drive, all wheel steering on most years, and a 6-speed manual transmission (five-speed in 1991-1993 versions). The 3000GT VR-4 also had an electronically actuated rear spoiler and a movable air dam under the front fascia from 1991-1995.

These items made the car very fast and stable in high-speed touring, but the weight made cornering difficult. The car's underpinnings were essentially the same throughout its lifespan, but the exterior went through three changes after the car was first released in 1991. The second generation exterior rolled out in 1994, front and rear styling was updated in 1997, and the final version in came out in 1999. In 1995 and 1996 a special retractable hardtop convertible version of the 3000GT was available with the Spyder SL and Spyder VR-4 models. This was the first retractable hardtop produced since the Ford Fairlane Skyliner.

yes they r very heavy heaps of gadgets eg when u go over 60km the back wing lifts up. but go 4 an fto i looked at the gto 3000
4 ages rear and all been trashed.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they look better than a supra mate

much rarer too
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah they don't.
And i better amend my first post, i ment the FTO looks like a cheap supra imitation.

http://www.evilrotors.com/japanese_cars_for_sale/white-fto/white-fto-for-sale.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2005 07:53]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i think they're full of rice, but that's me Razz
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you looking at importing on or buying locally?Ive seen them for about 8-10k on import but they go for around 40k down here in Melbourne. Ir eckon they're an awesome car. They may be a bit heavy but i reckon with that 3l twin turbo they could really get up and fly.

Im thinking go for it,get an import and just mod the crap out of it

Good luck with it all mate
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 19:03

well, i think they're full of rice, but that's me Razz

twin turbo gto .. rice ?

u got issues
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 16:53

u got issues

Says the dude who reckons the bloated slab of GTO looks better than a JZA80 Rolling Eyes
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No way does a GTO look better than a JZA80 Very Happy

I heard that they are hard to get power of and are pretty costly to repair compared to other sport cars.In my opinion just get a Supra you cant go wrong Smile
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 20:47

Les wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 16:53

u got issues

Says the dude who reckons the bloated slab of GTO looks better than a JZA80 Rolling Eyes

saw one today .. very sexy.. stock .. no need for body mods to make them look nice - but then again, ive always been a mitsu fan !

however, it is harder to make them handle / perform as well as a jza80 Razz
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whilst fast, by most reports they are very leaden and boring to drive.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optushome.com.au/thu187/motor_trend _article

compares the GTO (300GT) with rx7, 300zx TT, supra RZ and NSX

Have a read.

By the way, my friend has an FTO with the veilside kit and it looks so much like a supra it's not funny. And no way does an FTO or GTO or any car look sexier than a JZA80 Very Happy

Mmmmm so sexy... spank that ass! Embarassed
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT3000's in the states crack some very good quarter mile times, might be best to look over there. People in Aus talk shit about them because they are heavy and aren't popular to tune, but they definately have potential. I used to have a video of one doing wheel stands down half the strip but can't find it now.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they look better stock for stock in my oppinion
http://www.mikebakermotors.co.nz/online/online_images/1845a.jpg

http://www.za-boon.com/1994JZA80-0019675.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2005 22:48]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finally someone who backs me up !! Very Happy
thanks bro - i was getting flamed badly ...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA80 gets my vote. They just look... good.
frayli
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Sun, 13 February 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just clearing things up i have an FTO at the moment which looks identical to the white one pictured. Except they are FWD and slow and u really have to work them round the 8-9k range to get moving. Im thinking of importing one as there is only about a month left to do so. Lots of people said they rnt pocket rockets on the GTO forums but anything that gets to 100 under 6 secs isnt gonna be slow. Yeah they are exspensive to mod but with a decent set of wheels they look better to keep em stock as jaq7799 also said. If anyone knows any technical issues they regularily had please tell me as well. thanks heaps

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2005 23:20]

ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the GTO looks like a wide version of the MKIII supra.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jag you coulda picked a better jza80 pic, it's like me doing the following.

http://www.dolphinmotors.net/am/listings/images/17_1.jpg
http://www.alteredrealms.com/hotcars/images/hks_supra.jpg

i doubt the GTO has that same menecing presense like the JZA80 does on the road.

this one is the main one to be looking at:
http://members.optushome.com.au/thu187/motor_trend_article/Motor_Trend_article01.10.jpg
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just typed the model in google and picked the 1st two stock car pics i could find
it turned rather hard to find some stock bloody pics lol
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those numbers seem a bit out. I'd like to see a stock JZA80 do a 4.9 sec 0-100km/hr dash.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nash_tz wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 12:15

Those numbers seem a bit out. I'd like to see a stock JZA80 do a 4.9 sec 0-100km/hr dash.

Umm, 4.9 sounds about right to me.
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been in one of these, twin turbo, silver in color mainly stock as a rock besides 19inch wheels and lowered on the floor. went heaps good pretty much dazled me. it even managed to loose traction very easily (without trying) and that was on 19s.
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 14:15

5.9 maybe... Been in two of my mates' supras before and they certainly weren't faster than my other mate's stock STi in the 0-100. Then again that article looks to be from the US, maybe their slightly beefed up versions (bigger injectors, turbos?) took 1 second off their dash.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4.9 sounds right for the american ones maybe
not for the ones we get here
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nash_tz wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 14:25

Shraka wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 14:15

5.9 maybe... Been in two of my mates' supras before and they certainly weren't faster than my other mate's stock STi in the 0-100. Then again that article looks to be from the US, maybe their slightly beefed up versions (bigger injectors, turbos?) took 1 second off their dash.

They have 320hp in the US rather than the 275hp that they have in Japan. Although I hear saying a JZA80 turbo only has 275hp from Japan is laughable.

And I also hear STi's do a 4.8 second 0-100kmh dash.
frayli
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only problem with this argument is that u cant import a SUPRA from jap for 11k the only reason id choose a GTO over a SUPRA is that they were made in 1990... but for 14k on road (max) you cant go past a GTO which looks better,performs better, outhandles, grips better than pretty much anything at that price bracket. Either way its all personal oppinion
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frayli wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 16:14

The only problem with this argument is that u cant import a SUPRA from jap for 11k the only reason id choose a GTO over a SUPRA is that they were made in 1990... but for 14k on road (max) you cant go past a GTO which looks better,performs better, outhandles, grips better than pretty much anything at that price bracket. Either way its all personal oppinion

Pulsar GTiR with an exhaust would munch it performance wise, same price too... looks like shit though~
frayli
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True true and yes they ugly as!! looks is half the car
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw a blue one in melb dropped and no wing it was the sexiest thing I have seen..it would be a good idea to track down someone who knows how to work on the thing tho
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they weigheth a bit though, not that a supra is light but the 3000gt are heffa's. STI does 0-100 in 5.43 secs I always thought the Aus delivered 3000GT's did around 5.9 to low sixes, they are very heavy and this slows down the progress of the 210kw engine.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frayli wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 16:14

go fine me a gto for $14k on the road mate ... and i will give u a grand .. these cars dont go for that cheap !
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have only ever seen 1 GTO and that was in Surfers, it looked pretty dam nice, but i saw a JZA80 soon after and that gets my vote. I was looking into getting one but my research shows they are a heavy, newb style sports car, and the otehr down side was it was mitsubishi. I think an NA versiopn of the 3L came out in an early 90's model magna!!! WOO
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still think the RX7 has that slightly meaner look to it than the JZA80.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres nothing wrong with mitsu's
ill take an evo any day over basically anything
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like the supras but i really think the front is starting to date badly,plus id prefer somthing a little rarer..
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As much as I love my toyotas... the JZA80 is one of the fugliest sports cars ever made. It is neither aggressive nor sleek looking. It just looks bloated and uncomfortable. They can look okay with a nice kit, but I can think of alot of stock cars that beat it on looks. Not that they aren't a nice car, the engine more than makes up for it. But if we are just talking looks here then the Supra doesn't fare too well.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nash_tz wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 01:37

As much as I love my toyotas... the JZA80 is one of the fugliest sports cars ever made. It is neither aggressive nor sleek looking. It just looks bloated and uncomfortable. They can look okay with a nice kit, but I can think of alot of stock cars that beat it on looks. Not that they aren't a nice car, the engine more than makes up for it. But if we are just talking looks here then the Supra doesn't fare too well.

U r a trator and i bet u r working for Al Queda Nissan, how could say that
I DIE FOR TOYOTA!!!
No not really
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blind devotion in the fans of automotive marques is what leads to companies like GM and Ford. Cool
frayli
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Mon, 14 February 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
les - one just sold on prestige for 9k tell me why u wouldnt be able to get it on road for 4k? (1k for compliance)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Mitsubishi GTO Tue, 15 February 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA80 all the way baby!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Mitsubishi GTO Tue, 15 February 2005 01:02 Go to previous message
different strokes for different folks, i personally think the JZA80 looks bloody good even by today's standards (it came out over 10 years ago!)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SA Members - workshop advice required
Next Topic:where to locate a 4agte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 04:50:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01092004776001 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.