Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MarioM
Regular

January 2005
Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sat, 12 February 2005 06:41 Go to next message
Hey all, i just wanted to know if anyone has any steering issues with this setup on their TA22, as i was told the LN106 is rather heavy for a small car.
Thanks for any help given
Mario
  Send a private message to this user    
cambelt
Regular

June 2003
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sat, 12 February 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r u talking about ln 106 hilux, steering box conversion
MarioM
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, using the Ln 106 4 pot calipers. i know their heavy, but ive had mix response about such a set up for my TA22. i just wanna get a third party response on this Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have them on the sprinter, similar weight car. i find it doesnt handle as good, i dont know if its from the increased unsprung mass or the longer struts messing with the geometry but its not quite the same. im sure it could be rectified tho i just havent got around to it.
MarioM
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the handling that unbareable? or is that being really picky?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not at all unbearable.
BUT i have to mention at the same time i did my brake upgrade i put in second hand Bilsteins all round, stiffer springs and rose jointed control arms all at once. the rear bilsteins were stuffed and have ben replaced by monroes Rolling Eyes so it could be a combo of the lot.
but i reckon it was the brakes that did it, i think the longer struts myself. but the extra stopping power was definately worth it the difference in handling because i think i can correct it with a diff suspension combo.
MarioM
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool cool, thanks so much for your feedback dude. I don't mean to sound rude EVOSTi (as your feedback was most appreciated) but i was wondering if anyone else has feedback on this brake upgrade in a Ta22, or anything similar.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats cool, but it give you an idea anyway, i reckon both cars handle pretty similar, wiht a stock ta22 handling better than stock ae86 imo.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did it. Again in my sprinter, but it handles quite nicely. But then again i went from stock to the brake conversion with cut down struts, short stroke inserts, and coilovers....
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Sun, 13 February 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done this exact conversion in an RA23, the weight is not your problem, nor is it a problem in this conversion. The XT130 struts are longer than the TA22 ones and you have adversely affected your steering geometry.
You should search this thread and read the results of my weighing these strut combinations, old versus new.
13BTA22
Regular

December 2003
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am currently doing this conversion at the moment.Does anyone know the specs(amount to shorten)and if you need to adjust the struts for camber angles etc for fitting the xt130 struts to fit in the celica using the old suspension.I want to keep my old springs in the Ta22.Any help much appreciated.Thanks
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
13BTA22 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 11:23

I am currently doing this conversion at the moment.Does anyone know the specs(amount to shorten)and if you need to adjust the struts for camber angles etc for fitting the xt130 struts to fit in the celica using the old suspension.I want to keep my old springs in the Ta22.Any help much appreciated.Thanks

it should be a cut about 1"... im currently doing the brake son my '22 but im doing Cruzzida's upgrade. im getting the struts shortened, spring seats swapped and the steering knuckles redrilled... its costing $400 to do, iv already got the nissan 4pot calipers, just bought the rotors and have all the spacers too... all thats left for me is to get my struts back from the shop Confused and get the hub machined and new bearings put in

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 00:39]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A good idea would be to shorten the struts to the same length as your TA22 struts. Or if you want to be even more technical, cut the top of the TA22 strut with the threaded part and the spring mount off from the lower part, and do the same for the XT130, and then join them together. If you cut them at the right lengths you should be able to remove part of the strut and give the same height as your original TA22 units.
The only other thing you have to worry about is the base angle from the strut to the stub axle.
This can be fixed with camber tops.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I gotta be honest in saying i'm not very impressed with this upgrade and will be changing it shortly.

Don't mean to knock anyone as i'm sure a lot of R&D when into it and dont want to sound ungrateful. Plenty of people seem to love this upgrade. So this comment is just IMHO.

I find they dont pull up a lot better than the standard gear. Although they tend not to fad anything like the stock brakes do which is a good thing. The calipers are also almost twice the weight of R32 or FC calipers.

I'll be changing for FC calipers, probably running the same pug604 rotor. Will require custom caliper brackets though.

Now let the flaming begin Smile

Cheers
Joel

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.bagtexpackaging.com/furre/photos/flame.gif

burn joel burn
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 11:42

I gotta be honest in saying i'm not very impressed with this upgrade and will be changing it shortly.

Don't mean to knock anyone as i'm sure a lot of R&D when into it and dont want to sound ungrateful. Plenty of people seem to love this upgrade. So this comment is just IMHO.

I find they dont pull up a lot better than the standard gear. Although they tend not to fad anything like the stock brakes do which is a good thing. The calipers are also almost twice the weight of R32 or FC calipers.

I'll be changing for FC calipers, probably running the same pug604 rotor. Will require custom caliper brackets though.

Now let the flaming begin Smile

Cheers
Joel

my concern is the weight of the final product. so what im gonna try and do if i remember, is to weigh the stock setup of the celica and then the final setup that i do... im hoping its no more than 20kgs heavier Confused
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the calipers are 5kg each, which compared to 2kg for the stock sprinter units isnt that much heavier.
I find it a pretty decent compromise for a brake package which fits under 14" rims, which i need it to do due to Improved Production requirements stating that i have to run 60 series tyres.

That said as soon as i figure out how to get FC or Z32 calipers to fit under 14" rims then im there.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the weight differences appear minimal, but when you look at it as a percentage of the total unsprung weight it is a decent increase I think.

Are u sure about them being 5kg? I weighed mine and they were closer to 8kg each. That was with pads.

But yeah it was over 10% I think from memory 20% increase of unsprung weight per corner.

Everything is a trade-off though like you say. Upgrade one thing, which inturn downgrades something else.

If you can fit the hilux caliper and pug rotor under a 14" wheel dont see why you couldn't with the FC caliper and pug rotor? As the rotor is approx correct diamentions for the FC caliper.

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with my final upgrade im gonna have to get 15s... for the time beig im gonna just get stock MX73 wheels which cruzzida said fits just right.

im not sure what the camber is going to be like just yet cause i havent finished it but i have already organised longer wheel studs. the studs im getting are 78mm long compared to the stock ones of 40.2mm... but a hacksaw can fix that in a jiffy

with the calipers i havent weighed them but they do feel alot more than 5kg. more to the 8kg joel is saying but that is an estimation as i have only held them

iv estimated 5kg extra per caliper and also 5kg extra for the strut and rotor assembly... so im guessing shouldnt be more than 20kg heavier. bit like you said joel the braking capacity will be 10x better at least

my final upgrade will be as follows:
- ST205 GT4 brake master cylinder (15/16 bore)
- adjustable proportioning valve in the engine bay (will be covered for engineering purposes)
- MX73 struts and hubs (struts shortened 1" and seat swapped to maintain original parts of the TA22, hub machined down to get under rotor)
- stock TA22 steering knuckle redrilled (elongated) to fit MX73 strut
- Z32 slotted rotors redrilled to 4 stud 114.3PCD
- Z32 4pot calipers
- stock rear end (10" drums)

so thats my upgrade in a nut shell. total cost is approx $1200. this includes hub machining, redrilling rotors, new hub bearings and new brake lines
MarioM
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ln106/XT130/PUG604 Issues Mon, 14 February 2005 06:38 Go to previous message
Thanks all for your feedback as it was most appreciated Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agte ke20 conversion
Next Topic:Aftermarket ECU's for 20 valve N/A (silvertop)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 05:00:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046558380126953 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.