Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Do we need O2 sensor???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Do we need O2 sensor??? Sun, 13 February 2005 13:44 Go to next message
Hey just wondering. I got a stockish 4AGE bigport (JDM) with 4-1 aftermarket extractors (kelhams?). I bought it like this and notice it has no O2 sensor on the extractors like the stock manifold would have. Just wondering do i need a O2 sensor to make the car run alot better, i have a random problem my mechanic friend says that the car is injecting more fuel than usual and gradually thr car wil flood and cant start up for like a day. But yeah do i need a O2 sensor??? THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Sun, 13 February 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there's meant to be a sensor there, you should use one.

The flooding problem won't be anything to do with that though, sounds like a leaking injector.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Sun, 13 February 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why leaking injectors????. Well anyways the mechanic dude reckons its ECU realated which he'll check this week, so which i think having no O2 sensor could be the problem, the ECU doesnt know ma air/fuel ratio thus it injects more fuel , but thanksfor the help anyway i need ideas to find the prob
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Mon, 14 February 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its stock ecu u need one well it will run btter
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Mon, 14 February 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the oxy sensor installed in your exhaust after the extractors.
It will help with your mixtures... but your problem with starting is something more than just an oxy sensor.
Have you got the right map sensor on the car?
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Mon, 14 February 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drove my car with NO O2 sensor and NO exhaust manifold once. It was farking loud, but other than that ran fine. Rolling Eyes

It is a 1996 V6 Vienta, and has 2 O2 sensors fitted standard.

I'm not saying "take your O2 sensor off, you'll be fine" i'm just saying the car can drive without it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only problem is it'll never be able to go into closed loop and as such, your fuel economy will probably be crap.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And you should get check engine lights all the time.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 11:06

And you should get check engine lights all the time.

Shocked i didn't! WTF?
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O2 sensor is a two trip fault.

it has to fail or not be connected twice while running to make the ecu light come on, AFAIK

and yes fuel economy will be shit house try less than 300kms out of 40litres in a ae82 100kw 4age without the o2 sensor compared with over 500ks with it

other than that tho it will run, just mega rich.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the mechanic dude said my injectors are injecting more fuel than usual which sometimes causes my car to flood and not start for like a day or so (very annoying!!!) .SO i guess if its running mega rich (when cold you can see fuel being spat out of ma exaust), installing a 02 sensor could solve my problem????

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 04:12]

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think the O2 sensor will help the not starting thing.

you might possibly have a leaking injector which is dripping fuel into the cylinder even when the engine is turned off, hence flooding the engine and it not being able to start.

either way get a new o2 sensor they are not expensive, well most arent. then see how that goes if you've still got problems i'd have your injectors cleaned/flow tested. then check the spark plugs/leads/coil/dizzy/battery/alternator

parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran my 4ag for a long time without an O2 sensor. When I finally decided to connect it up for no particular reason, made absolutely no difference to anything. I do run a VAF sensor (UK engine loom), but as far as I know, only makes a difference at idle.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
parrot wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 14:13

I ran my 4ag for a long time without an O2 sensor. When I finally decided to connect it up for no particular reason, made absolutely no difference to anything. I do run a VAF sensor (UK engine loom), but as far as I know, only makes a difference at idle.

If it's working correctly, it'll be working at light loads and cruising when the ECU should switch into closed loop. You'll notice the difference in a big way if you do lots of highway driving.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 06:20]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 17:20

parrot wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 14:13

If it's working correctly, it'll be working at light loads and cruising when the ECU should switch into closed loop. You'll notice the difference in a big way if you do lots of highway driving.

zactly... funny how the same thing needs to be said a few times before it sinks in Wink

for my megasquirt, i have O2 closed loop working:
above 77 degrees C (coolant)
above 2000rpm
below 65kpa (absolute manifold pressure)

if any of those conditions are not met, it goes out of closed loop.. it basically means only highway driving, and steady/trailing throttle. it can make a big difference tho, but if your tuning is close, then it might be only 5% difference.

Cya, Stewart
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Tue, 15 February 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny_K wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 15:11

.SO i guess if its running mega rich (when cold you can see fuel being spat out of ma exaust)

Are you sure it's fuel and not just condensation/water. If it is fuel then I think you will also need a new catalytic converter.

Brad
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: Do we need O2 sensor??? Wed, 16 February 2005 01:00 Go to previous message
The U.K. cars don't actually run an O2 sensor. As I said, they do have a VAF sender which I was of the impression only affected idle quality. Not sure how U.K. cars handle cruising conditions. I have used both a U.K. supplied standard ECU plus a japanese standard ECU with no discernible change.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cruise control on RA-23
Next Topic:2T-G to 2T-GEU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:11:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055279731750488 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.