Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FullySick
Regular

September 2003
Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 04:41 Go to next message
Hey all...

This question is for anyone that can provide me with some information about a turbo kit for a 2004 model Rav4 Cruiser.

Does anyone know if this can be done?
If so, where can I go to further my enquiries...

cheers
Jay
  Send a private message to this user    
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4RAV4 or something like that is on these forums he has pretty much got a rav4 with gt4 running gear he knows alot about them.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 is Andy, he replaced his RAV4's 3S-FE and running gear with a 3S-GTE and a lot of gear from that.

There's a site for RAV owners if you want some more info....

http://www.rav4oz.com/forum/
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try this,...

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=160&start=0&rid=1424&S=9f997bf673ce5 61d49ec0dcfa56bbb57

good luck Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude, if you're going to turbo a 2004+ RAV4 (2AZ-FE VVT-i engine), you'd be better off getting a supercharger kit that Toyota US will be supplying to their Scion's with the same engine. This will probably cost less than a custom 2.4L turbo setup, but it's probably gonna be a bitch to get your hands on though. Mad

If you get onto the RAV4OZ site and check out the "4.2 DIY" forum (2001-2005 models), there's a recently-added thread about a guy in Sweden (Pasi) who turbo'd a 2.0L (1AZ-FE VVT-i) RAV4 and dropped down 170 aw/kw (278 aw/hp) for his effort. Very Happy I'd say you could use a turbo setup similar to that if you wanted to go custom, but you'd need to utilise many of the same components he had manufactured from scratch. Like mine, not an easy task, but it CAN be done. Wink Also it does depend on the output you want to go for as well... this guy in Sweden put out that power on only 7Psi with stock internals. You can imagine where the power will take you if you did something like I did with a Celica GT-Four engine and running-gear. Also I dare say that the same running-gear could be adapted to your RAV4 as well, if you were that hardcore about it. Nod

See you on RAV4OZ.com if you're still interested.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, we've changed our website address:

http://www.compact4wd.com/rav4oz/ and follow the link to the forums. Smile
Johnny Blade
Regular

May 2003

Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Rav4 turbo from Sweden.
http://www.simkon.se/
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Rav4 Mon, 14 February 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's the one I was just talking about... Wink
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Turbo Rav4 Tue, 15 February 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try AVO Turboworld in Moorabbin-there was some guy in hot 4's or something (i cant find the mag) who took his 2002/3 cruiser in and had that turboed.apparently putting out about 200awke's.

Give them a call and find out what they have.IM pretty sure they just did some machining, metal HG, wacked on a snail and cooler and changed the ECU.

Good Luck mate
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Rav4 Tue, 15 February 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 17:34

Try AVO Turboworld in Moorabbin-there was some guy in hot 4's or something (i cant find the mag) who took his 2002/3 cruiser in and had that turboed.apparently putting out about 200awke's.

Give them a call and find out what they have.IM pretty sure they just did some machining, metal HG, wacked on a snail and cooler and changed the ECU.

Good Luck mate

I recently spoke with Lee from AVO Turboworld, and unfortunately that RAV4 (a white 2.0L 1AZ-FE with bronze 19" rims Wink) is the only working prototype of AVO's work on the second generation RAV4's, as apparently it was too much work to make into a kit. Tek, the guy that owns the prototype AVO turbo RAV4, still drives it around Melbourne and even pays the RAV4OZ forums a visit once in a while. They still make turbo kits for first generation RAV4's like mine, but I'm afraid second generation turbo's are very much a custom unit, like Pasi's RAV4 in Sweden.
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Turbo Rav4 Tue, 15 February 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew i saw your rav at my mates shop - bel

good to see the car and hope it's back with you running all better soon
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Rav4 Tue, 15 February 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Mikey, I got it back already. Running good for now, idle's a bit high, boosts a bit late and guzzles fuel. All is good in the world of the turbo RAV4! Very Happy

Nah actually I'm still yet to get a good tune on it, as I'm still running the standard ECU for safety reasons, hence the fuel-drinking. Embarassed The timing has been set to 15°BTDC deliberately and this causes the high idle, but also the lagginess in the turbo response. When I've run it in for a couple of weeks, I'll bring it back to BEL and they'll tune up my Power FC and if all is well with the road-tune, I'll drop it on down to Southern Motorworks for it's top-end cleanup and power run. Very Happy

Hehe, just wish me luck, because right now I feel I'm in need of some. Rolling Eyes
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Turbo Rav4 Wed, 16 February 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Designer: hey, why dont we tack on a bunch of plastic shit to a car that looks really good, in order to make it tacky and "tonka truck tough" looking

Toyota cheif project manager: oh shit yer, lets make it look like a shoe and call it a Rav4!

toyota, your a bunch of tools, plastic = cheap shit

rav 4's are good, but that plastic makes me wanna hurl

what does this have to do with turboing one? fuck knows, i wouldnt do it, id buy another car :/
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Rav4 Wed, 16 February 2005 20:04 Go to previous message
Oh dear... Rolling Eyes I believe I've covered this point more than a few times over different topics since Toymods has been here, but I'll re-itterate once again.

Anyone who modifies a RAV4 (no not just me, ANYONE) is looking to something a little bit different. You're not the only one who doesn't like the plastic 'bits' around the bumpers and side panels, and in fact it's largely why we can't get a hold of a bodykit for these cars. The only company that's taken the time to develop a bodykit for these cars (asides Toyota creating the "MAX" bodykit with a front lip, rounded sideskirts and a rear wing) is Bomex Aero, and these kits are rare as rocking horse shit and cost the earth to buy, then transport over here. It's enough to make you get some custom stuff done to get rid of the "plastic" look, which is why I have some stuff planned for it later on this year, all going well.

Check out http://www.lowsneakerz.net this is a webpage from the Jap's and what they can do to a RAV4. This front page explains it all. Wink Go into the members page. Unfortunately most of the stuff they have on their rides isn't available anywhere else in the world unless you physically go over to Japan and buy it yourself. Most Japanese places that provide aftermarket bits and pieces for the RAV4 either don't answer emails or don't speak/type in English.

It was designed to be a soft off-roader or the weekend getaway vehicle, hence why the plastic panels were put there so they'd be easy enough to replace if you damaged one of them while trying to mix it with the big boys amongst the rough-stuff. They still didn't factor in how much it would cost per panel to replace these pieces. The plastic areas are more expensive to replace than metal sheets. Nod I believe the 2001-2005 model RAV4's are a lot better looking than the 1994-2000 variant in that they've pissed off a lot of this plastic stuff in favour of metal, and they got with the program re colour-coding.

Regarding turbo'ing a RAV4, it's because it can be done and I'm not the first one to do so, and I sure won't be the last. A Russian friend of mine has done two of these (one a turbo 3S-FE, the other an SW20 rear-cut out of an MR-2, both to go into early-model RAV4's), a Swedish friend has just finished a very custom turbo kit for his 2.0L VVT-i version, a friend in Puerto Rico is making up a turbo 3S-FE, my mate in NZ has swapped a 3S-GE BEAMS engine (yes, N/A) into his RAV4 and he make a good hobby of spanking it around Pukekohe Circuit and beating the crap out of B4 Legacy's, and there's another couple of projects underway in the US, one is shaping up to be the mirror-image of my guts-and-all swap. The benefits of doing this is she can look at my project, ask me questions about mine if she gets stuck, refer to my pics of the project, etc. And yes, it's an ST205 half-cut from a Canadian All-Trac, 5-speed also.

If I didn't want to have the originality-factor, I'd have bought another car also, EldarO. Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Upgrading 3T GTE to variable type TPS??
Next Topic:whats a t series diff from?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:17:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078670978546143 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.