Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Breaking into Sprinters....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
skit
Regular

November 2004
icon4.gif  Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 10 February 2005 09:00 Go to next message
Hey all,

Just throught I'd briefly share an experience I just had with you all. I own a sprinter, it has a black widow alarm/immobilizer and another seperate immobilizer as well. Recently my housemates had visitors, there was a big clean up around the house, and my keys disappeared. After several days searching I still can't find them, so I decided to have a crack at getting into the car without them this arvo.

The alarms weren't a problem, it hadn't been started in a few weeks as I'm doing a fair bit of work to it Smile and the battery had slowly flattened....step 1 overcome.

Okay, next comes the scary part - I've never broken into a car in my life, I had no idea what I was doing, and it literally took me under 1 minute to overcome the standard locks - no noise, no damage, no trace. Basically 1st go I got it.....

I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but I really didn't understand what people meant when they say that many old cars are easy to get into.

So I hope the message i'm conveying to the people who may not be aware of how vulnerable their car is - get an alarm/immobilizer, they're worth it. For example - I live in a not so nice neighbourhood. I had the sprinter parked in the yard for less than 1 week after I bought it, and at 1am the alarm started. Coincidence perhaps, but it has never done it since, so my guess is someone tried to suss it out.

Scumbags are constantly roaming our suburbs - be on guard for them!

[To modertors - I have ommitted all details on the subject of course, but if you feel this post might draw attention from "undesirables" regarding the subject, then please delete it].

thanks for reading

scott
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Fri, 11 February 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we all know how easy it is...

but thats the thing
make it impossible to start or steer (removeable steeringwheel kit) and make it really obvious they are breaking in and they can only loot the interior if they are good.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Fri, 11 February 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup removable steering wheel is good for security Very Happy
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isnt the detatachable steering wheel hubs totally illegal?
cop walks past sees no steering wheel and give us a damn fine!
Ugh
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 16:44

Isnt the detatachable steering wheel hubs totally illegal?
cop walks past sees no steering wheel and give us a damn fine!
Ugh

dark window tint

i opended my hachi with my friends supra key
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i opened my mates xd falcon with a twig. no shit. and my others mates SII rx7 with my house key.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 February 2005 08:33]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 18:33

i opened my mates xd falcon with a twig. no shit. and my others mates SII rx7 with my house key.

pins in the lock barrel are obviously well worn or some shit

i constantly break into the hilux's at work(we're alwasy locking the keys in them)
also, some of the earlier cars with central locking can be opened with half a tennis ball :/

or you just smash a window
surprising how often you can get away with that. people either dont care anymore or dont want any trouble.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 21:10

people either dont care anymore or dont want any trouble.

yeah true. when i hear a car alarm, i dont go running. i dont call the police (not that they woudl give a shit). i usually assume that its been set off by accident, like an exhaust, or the next cars door. Confused
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got into at least another 2 86's with my 86 key...

Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So whats the better way to go? Can you get any type of new lock thats not solex as Ive read their crap. I dont use any of my locks at all so the only one left is the drivers door and thats only used if my battery was ever to go dead.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 12 February 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve tried 3 different sprinter keys on my car while i was taking a piss haha, none worked thank god my locks must be alright.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont replace the locks, its better that they get in that way than having to resort to breaking a window, damaging the door etc. dont matter how good your locks are the can get in, so the key is make sure it cant be driven once they are in, or they will go deaf if they dont get out of the car quick smart. i chose both options. Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone actually get woken up by an alarm ?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to agree there. Don't spend money doing up the locks on the outside of your car. I've had a couple of door frames bent on my cars. They just grab a hold of the top of the door and bend it outwards. Much more popular nowdays because it doesn't set the alarm or shock sensors off, and doesn't make a loud breaking glass noise. Completely ruins the door. You're far better of making it hard for them to start/drive it, and just live with the fact that the wankers are going to get in if they want to.

Community living sucks.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats why i like my imobilser and full comp insureance
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
full comp? on a sprinter? how much and who with. oh and whats ur agreed value, bet its much less than what ur sprinters actually worth

i found it wasnt worth it to get full comp on my 86, agreed value was like $4k!! Shocked pathetic.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Vigal, agreed value which im happy with, they know about every mod on the car, and they even offer free roadside which i used last night Razz

I pay $1500 a year full comp (excess $1000 if im driving and $400 if its stolen/broken into or damaged whilst parked), 3rd party fire and theft was only about $1000 from memory

I recommend them, but no imports !
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, what is the agreed amount they will pay you?

and 3rd party fire and theft is about $500-$600, even if your young.

Think about this, you pay $1500 a year, plus $1000 excess, if u hit let say a tree in the hills, after having owned teh car for one year. You will have paid $2500, i can get another hachi for that money and swap all the parts, and still have parts left over to sell, giving me back lets say around $1000.

full comp is just not worth it on an 86, the chassis are too cheap.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My vans full comprehensive is $5000, i pay $400 a year with an excess of $1200...

im with SGIO, free windscreen (or other glass panel) every year, i do actually need that because one of my windows is cracked in half...

but it only pays to make a claim if the car is written off :/ which would still be quite a loss to me.

stereo, seats, steering wheel, engine, is BOG STOCK with 164,000 on the engine now.. bloody good stuff!
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 13 February 2005 23:34

well, what is the agreed amount they will pay you?

and 3rd party fire and theft is about $500-$600, even if your young.

Think about this, you pay $1500 a year, plus $1000 excess, if u hit let say a tree in the hills, after having owned teh car for one year. You will have paid $2500, i can get another hachi for that money and swap all the parts, and still have parts left over to sell, giving me back lets say around $1000.

full comp is just not worth it on an 86, the chassis are too cheap.

Mine's Insured for $10000, like i said im happy with it and would not insure it if it wasnt worth it
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried full comp insurance but either Im stuck with MAX agreed value of $2500 (thanks redbook Mad ) or a $3000 per year with a decent value. Ended up going with 3rd pp fire + theft, really cheap but it wont cover anything Ive done to it in terms of value.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont get me started on redbook, who the fuck are they to say what something is worth, i sold my rolla for nearly double their price Rolling Eyes
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a fantastic idea for a locking mechanism... but I haven't bought it yet... its like a pin code security for a house... dont know if it will work... but if it does i'll be laughing...
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sun, 13 February 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont bother changing locks, as said already if the lock is too hard to get into they'll just break something else. have a good alarm / imobiliser so once they are it it will screaming its tits off and they cant start the thing without stuffing around for yonks trying to wire around the immob. and i sure as hell wouldnt stay in the car with the siren that is in the mr2 going off. any alarm you get make sure its got 2 sirens, inside and out. and decent motion sensors.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 08:01

I've got a fantastic idea for a locking mechanism... but I haven't bought it yet... its like a pin code security for a house... dont know if it will work... but if it does i'll be laughing...

dood heaps of cars have them, and they are mostly shit dont bother its just a wank. you want killswitches everywhere, a well hidden and disguised alarm, and 130dB siren in a hard to get to place inside the car.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Mon, 14 February 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes kilswitches are definatly the way to go.......anyone know the effectiveness of those deadlocks you can get....making it (apparantly) impossible to open the door with out having 5 arnold schwazanegers pulling on it..............??
still leaves the window for smashing but still I reckon these would be a decent addition...........
anyone used/ing them.........??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Tue, 15 February 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats all well and good but they are gonna fuck up your door trying to open it before they realise arent they?
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Wed, 16 February 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run a pager on my car after the whole umm... stolen sprinter incident.

If they try to cut the batter from the engine bay, the pin inside would've triggered the alarm and even though the wire is cut the pager would've already gone off with a "bonnet opened" symbol on my alarm.

I use 2 killswitches now and i have a shock sensor nicely hidden to only detect movement inside the car and not the sound of exhausts (as that often misleads and aggitate owners)

New locks are a must. Solex, well des can tell you guys about their 'effectiveness'.

Also my insurance payout was market value (i.e: shit all) so if u guys can afford it to cover at an agree value it would give you a piece of mind.

-Jay
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Wed, 16 February 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fujiwara_ToFu wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 01:27

New locks are a must. Solex, well des can tell you guys about their 'effectiveness'.

yup

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/2158/solex16zc.jpg
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a truck air horn mount that inside the car on a 10 second delay so it give them time to sit in the car.
the most damage they can do then is a few dents in the roof.
It's bot difficult to break into a car i have yet to find a car that takes more than 10 mins.
And before anybody says anything these would be my friends car that have locked their keys in the car, or us playing pranks Evil or Very Mad
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fathers friend back in the day apparantly had a bitch of a system...
Dont know exactly how it worked but I do know it appaantly central locked all exits and then blasted high powered sirens that were at such a high pitch decibel it burst the eardrums...

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 12:35

My fathers friend back in the day apparantly had a bitch of a system...
Dont know exactly how it worked but I do know it appaantly central locked all exits and then blasted high powered sirens that were at such a high pitch decibel it burst the eardrums...

that would suck if you detonated it yourself by accident or it went crazy one day and decided to go off! Laughing Laughing Laughing
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah like i said, i got a LOUD high pitched siren in the car. as soon as it goes off you HAVE to get out or cover your ears or just sit and wait for the blood Evil or Very Mad illiegal but who cares about the bastards.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in the need for one of those sirens. I sell the 130db ones at work though, and i just dont think they are loud enough.

anyone know where i can get a 140/150db siren? Evil or Very Mad
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dood the 130dB ones are loud enough in a confined space, trust me. Shocked or use multiple sirens.

Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a 130db in mine, but as I found when pointed at you they are painful. Once hidden under the dash so they are hard to get to they get substantually softer hence why a louder one would be good.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Thu, 17 February 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can imagine a theif sueing (spelling?) for loss of hearing and win Laughing Laughing Laughing
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 19 February 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah they would, but if they were stupid enough to try it, im sure they would turn up in a river somewhere before the court hearing Twisted Evil
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Breaking into Sprinters.... Sat, 19 February 2005 05:23 Go to previous message
change door locks to SOLEX and weld the hook ( the bit that holds the barrel in the door ) then replace the windows with perspex, then you have a car that is hard to get into in the first place...

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 05:24]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:13B turbo AE86 in SPEED MAG
Next Topic:How much will a Aus-Spec Sprinter set me back?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:52:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062661170959473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.