Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIKTA22
Regular

March 2003
2T-G to 2T-GEU Mon, 14 February 2005 11:48 Go to next message
Some time soon im thinking about throwing EFI on my 2TG.
What id like to know is, going from twin carbs to EFI is there much difference in performance? i could imagine the fuel ecconomy would be better and it would start alot easier in the mornings, is the setup easy to mod? aftermarket ECUs and such?

any info on this would be much appreciated, also how much would converting to EFI set me back?

thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Mon, 14 February 2005 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Doesn't the 2T-GEU have a low compression ratio than the 2TG? I'm not sure if you'll need a different head to lower the compression, assuming the EFI is set-up for the lower compression engine. Also I think the valves are larger on the GEU version. I don't know if the cams were different. Toyota had to do work on the heads and valves on the GEU series to reclaim the lost power from the early model when they lowered the engines compression and made other concessions in putting in anti-pollution stuff, etc - but these later versions, in stock form, never had the power of the originals.

I have never had a problem with starting my engine. Considering that you have a pot-per-cylinder with the dual twin-throat Solex, you shouldn't have any issues with starting (either hot or cold) with a properly tuned set-up.

seeyuzz
river
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 2tgeu runs fine with teh 9.8:1 (higher compression) pistons etc.

the only thing you have to be wary of is that teh standard ecu with only run a mostly stock engine.
i have the stock ecu and it runs great with the 9.8 pistons,extractors and K&N filter,

but if you have lumpy cams or anything you will need an aftermarket ecu.
heaps of options for the 2tgeu there.
just do a search plenty of info on worked 2tgeu's floating around on these forums.

Dom
SIKTA22
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my 2TG has the 3T crank, ported head, mild cams, just not sure what compression pistons ive got.. do you think that being EFI, would actually increase its performance being already worked, would it respond much better? i mean a set of 45mm webers would be nice, but i can imagine how crap fuel economy would be.. if i can save abit of fuel and gain some performance then i may go through with it..

would anyone know how much its going to cost all together to convert?
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need to upgrade the injectors to allow better flow as the standard injectors (if you can find any in good working order) will not flow enough.

If you want smoother and more defined drive throughout your rev range then EFI is the way to go, but I'd strongly recommend using and aftermarket ECU and have it properly tuned to your setup. The electronic timing and fuel control provide smoother, more accurate control, but if you're asking if it'll make more power than twin 45mm Webber's... well i don't know with the standard plenum, but my guess would be yes (if a GOOD ecu was used properly tuned). But depends on how much Cash you want to pump into the setup too. Like wise with the Webber's. It's a much of muchness and all according to your taste.
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with that set up you will need aftermarket engine managment for sure.
it can be costly because it will need to be tuned.

i prefer efi over carbies but ithink in your case it may be cheaper to go with carbies....but you may be able to get a good deal....

cheers
Dom
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being so crude, the 2TG EFI setup could probably be tweaked to cope with the changes made. For optimum performance, you'd want an aftermarket setup though.
SIKTA22
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah true, well im sure for the mean time the ol 40mm solexs can be tuned quite well, as it desperatly needs a tune.. but i will definetly keep that in mind..

anyone got any EFI bits they wanna get rid of?

cheers.
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2T-G to 2T-GEU Tue, 15 February 2005 23:46 Go to previous message
In my opinion, the price is relatively the same as the initial outlay for 45mm twin carbs and the initial purchase for the efi gear are roughly the same. Then comes the tuning; carbies need re-jetting on the primaries and secondaries and set for a particular ideal rev range and torque curve as does the efi. But the efi can be tuned for a smoother and more efficient torque curve. I'd price up the carb's Vs efi and see where the fits your outcomes and expectations of you beast. Best of luck!

Check out the for sale threads on these forums as there are a complete efi manifolds on sale on a frequent basis.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do we need O2 sensor???
Next Topic:Smoke machine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:59:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039100646972656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.