Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » XR6 Turbo (rant)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confirmation of

Motor said NO TURBO ECHO FOR AUSTRALIA!...Australia..australia..

for now anwyay
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep... Feeding the trolls...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont doult the Xr6 turbo is alot better in many ways from my celica!! and i also would have one if someone gave it to me

however that aint gunna happen, good on ford finnaly producing a car that is believed to better than its holden friends, im happy for them send them my love Razz

but $45,000 is alot to spend on a car ( yeah its probably worth it) at least i can say i own my car

i was just asking how they went etc

in a way my car still more powerful than it in kw/Litres

4age 62.5kw/L
1ggte 78.5kw/L
Xr6 turbo 45kw/l or round abouts
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon13.gif  Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rdraginrolla wrote on Wed, 05 February 2003 16:11

Confirmation of

Motor said NO TURBO ECHO FOR AUSTRALIA!...Australia..australia..

for now anwyay

Bugger! Ah well, that sux. Sad
I was looking forward to seeing those things on the road.

Damn you Toyota Australia!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is to all you converts that have gone over to the darkside of ford!!
........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·&a mp;a mp;cedil;
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'. ..')
.........\.................\/..../
..........'\'...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

love from the toymods team

edit couldnt help myself hehehe
dam it doint work properly

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2003 05:43]

GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I agree with craig. To all those whining that toyota has no good cars at an affordable price point, not that the XR6 is within most peoples budgets in this club. Then just look at a GT4.
Either an ST185 GrpA or an ST205 would crap all over the XR6 with little work

Edit:
Sad My bad couldnt help myself. But i do have a point

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2003 05:58]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are actually a rotary - and Front wheel drive Smile

I think Kia provided the drivetrain !

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re revving low - the point of the falcons goodness with power is the fact itsa a toquey motor - its designed to put the boot in low - not way way up in the rev range like other similar turbo 6's

Out of curiousity - wheres the M3 get its peak power - low or High ? Those things are seiously good - and my money would be put down on it still flogging the pants off supras and skylines ..

the Barra 6's all run variable cam timing - ie a VVTI similar system - so technology wise they may only be a footstep or two behind the beolved camrys instead of said YEARS

as for old school celica Vs turbo XR6 - ha - the xr6 would flog the pants out of my ta22 * laughs * - and they sure as hell hvave givenn STI subies a good kicking in a few departments too in recent comparisons ..

All in all - its the BEST aussie car out there at this moment - fords on the right track - they finally have something worthy of international comparison
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2003 17:18

re revving low - the point of the falcons goodness with power is the fact itsa a toquey motor - its designed to put the boot in low - not way way up in the rev range like other similar turbo 6's

Out of curiousity - wheres the M3 get its peak power - low or High ? Those things are seiously good - and my money would be put down on it still flogging the pants off supras and skylines ..

E46 M3 makes max power at 7,900rpm and peak torque at 4,900rpm.

Classique71 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2003 17:18

as for old school celica Vs turbo XR6 - ha - the xr6 would flog the pants out of my ta22 * laughs * - and they sure as hell hvave givenn STI subies a good kicking in a few departments too in recent comparisons ..

As I said, I don't believe anything written from the Australian press. Comparing an XR6 to an STi is a bit laughable.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And thats why im Buying an St185 - Cheaper - and i know theres power in there with a little love - all for the bargain price of 11 K Smile

Hmm - echo turbo - now THERES a real fast hairdressers car !

I think we have a new winner of the golden hairdryer award for toyota Wink
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well they compared Nark - Issie or towo ago - was either motor or wheels

read up and Hmm at the article - in a nutshell - the XR6 won the comparison and then - a month or so took out the car of the year award OVER camry's and corollas and all those things badged toymota

it might not be as light - or REV as hard as the STI - but it still kept up with the STI everywhere else ..

OOPS - im baiting nark again - better pull in my narkfish hooks !

just on a BAD ford thing - theres 4 things i did NOT like on the Xr6 turbo - the ability that you cant put in a decent aftermarket radio - the shitty plastic door handles - and the annoying plasticy feel of the shifter , and the little number thats hard to see on the dash to tell you what gear you were in in the " sports shift " mode..

but i quickly ignored them when that hand shifted the thing to 1st on the stick - and the right foot went down - then it was WHEE!! FUN! as i zipped happily thru the otways looking for the next hairpin, S bend or tight corner.

PS - someone get the gaffa tape for nark - hes starting to froth at the mouth hehehe !

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well they compared Nark - Issie or towo ago - was either motor or wheels

read up and Hmm at the article - in a nutshell - the XR6 won the comparison and then - a month or so took out the car of the year award OVER camry's and corollas and all those things badged toymota

it might not be as light - or REV as hard as the STI - but it still kept up with the STI everywhere else ..

OOPS - im baiting nark again - better pull in my narkfish hooks !

just on a BAD ford thing - theres 4 things i did NOT like on the Xr6 turbo - the ability that you cant put in a decent aftermarket radio - the shitty plastic door handles - and the annoying plasticy feel of the shifter , and the little number thats hard to see on the dash to tell you what gear you were in in the " sports shift " mode..

but i quickly ignored them when that hand shifted the thing to 1st on the stick - and the right foot went down - then it was WHEE!! FUN! as i zipped happily thru the otways looking for the next hairpin, S bend or tight corner.

PS - someone get the gaffa tape for nark - hes starting to froth at the mouth hehehe !

blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my brothers v6 commowhore engine could rev to 8000 with or without s/charger quite happily, everytime.

had a fair bit of balancing and whatnot but no more than a fair few of you guys have done to your worked toyo engines.. This is with standard block aswell.

ALSO... (here we go..)
A REAL sports car engine should just keep revving without risk of anything.. So:
WHY GO UP & DOWN WHEN U CAN GO ROUND & ROUND. (for a limited number of k's haha)
Rotor's are the bomb apart from twincam toyota engines. If you want a shitload of power get any sort of rotor and rebuild it and you have a barrel of fun in the right chassis.
If you want a big car engine get a 20B.

Peace and enjoy whatever your driving.. wish i had my car, id just go sit in it and feel content.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, as I said, I don't believe anything the Australian press writes about Falcadores.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bizarre - 2 posts .. Oh well Smile
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for the M3, it's worth noting that they get 256KW from those things...that is, 256KW NA!!

An XR6 won't go near it in a drag...and I wont even start on the handling side.

Oh, and before anyone starts comparing costs etc, I KNOW that, for the price of an M3, you'd probably buy 4 or 5 Falcons. That way, you buy your 5, and have spares for when they break!! Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 05 February 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the XR6 turbo just a family car for men going through a mid life crisis? I dont recall any advertising about the xr6 stating that its a full on sports car! I could be wrong!

Also after having a quick read of all the crap below it seems that people are comparing a stock falcon to a worked 1g? Am I correct?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Thu, 06 February 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rdraginrolla wrote on Wed, 05 February 2003 12:28

Les, could you give me a explanation as to how the 'old skool' celica is better that a NEW Falcon turbo?

my opinion? The celica has style but no substance. I think the only thing that makes the old celica half decent is the motor from another toyota or car that goes into it. nothing special, just a cheap donor car. nothing wrong with that though.

Dude i prefer carving 40k cars in my piece of shiete... thats y i prefer my old school celica oevr the falcon. plain and simple

if i was looking for a decent fast car, with 4 doors, to take my family around.. then maybe the falcon might get the edge Very Happy

id get a grand cherokee tho

[Updated on: Thu, 06 February 2003 10:16]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Thu, 06 February 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit, if I wanted a decent 4-door family car, I'd be buying a Chaser Razz
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Thu, 06 February 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF: LMFAO!! That is exactly what I have been telling people for a while now!!
89 MX83
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Thu, 06 February 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not defending ford or anything, i would never buy an australian car, but at least Ford have now got a Twin Cam engine, not like bloody Holden which STILL is using that 3.8L unrefined OHV engine

just a post i thought i would make
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Sat, 08 February 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing you guys seem to be forgetting when talking hp (or kw) is that hp is only a measure of torque and revs. If you can produce low down torque and have the gearing to match the rev limit is irrelevant. Basically the Falcon may need a 2000 rpm increase to go from 100k to 180k in 4th gear. If it gets there in the same time as a Celica (1G for arguments sake) that needs a 3000 rpm increase which engine has performed better? I would say neither, they are both just doing what they were designed to do.
Nark if revs where the only thing differentiating sports (or sporty) cars we would all be driving rotaries or riding motorbikes. You need to consider what the car is intended for. The XR6 Turbo is for someone who wants to be able to lug around a family but still wants to be able to have a bit of fun as well.
Personally I prefer Toyota's but you need to find a car that matches your requirements.
Take some of the vehicle I have owned.
Hillman Avenger wagon, cheap carried lots of people.
KE30 Corolla all lowered out, cheap to run, handled well, perfect for when I was at uni.
KP61 Starlet lowered out, cheap, nice sounds and handled well, great for my second year at uni doing lots of travelling.
TE72 Corolla, rusted out shit box but was cheap, reliable and had a tow bar to tow my car club car
1964 Rambler American, a bit heavy on gas but a fantastic car for cruising around in and really stands out (and I can afford the gas bills now)
KP61 Starlet project receiving 3T-GTEU/W55/IRS, lightweight small and RWD perfect for club use
I prefer toyota's but if there isn't one suitable for the purpose I want I find a car that is. I am yet to find a Toyota that stands out and is as nice a cruiser as my Rambler, but then Toyota didn't really build those type of cars. I would buy an XR6 Turbo if I had kids or maybe for a tow wagon for when my Starlet is finished (and if I had the cash). I wouldn't buy a Celica for this purpose no matter how high it revved. It isn't designed for it.
I guess calling the Falcon a sports car is the wrong label, it is really a sports sedan. So while it has limitations it seems to do what it was designed to do very well and doesn't need a 9000 rpm rev limiter to do it.

Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Sat, 08 February 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: 5-6 fords for one M3 ...

you wouldnt have to worry about the ford(s) being stolen either ... Smile
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Sun, 09 February 2003 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well doods - i think this thread is finally getting around to the POINT.
Bang for yer buck!
I own a car for a couple grand that can outrun and outbrake a Boxter.
And if I repaint it... might look as slick too.
Many of the supra owners here can outrun *anything* legal on the roads - 1G/1J/7M/whatever is in it.
If you got the power, and the stiff chassis, and the brakes, and tires and susp all working as a package you got the shiznit!
This is why i dig Toytotas! Minor mods = big reward.
Toyota cruiser? Cressida. 7MGE over here, limited edition even had the GTE in it!
I have a neighbour who just spent over $45,000CDN on a TRUCK! Only a chevy too! Goddam doods! If I was an overpaid exec with more money than god i might consider one of these crap plastic things with a bit o power, but so what if the frikken S2000 or Z4 or Carrerra make 100HP/L and can outrun me...
I'll catch them anyway since my car (that I can replace 20 times for the cost of ONE of theirs) is built to be *driven* not babied.
The 1Uz comes in a verry nice car over here. For about $70,000.
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/home/vehic les/BL69SP2003/veh_2003gs430.jsp
So I have a heater that doesn't always work, and i tune my car once in a while...I still got ya beat.
You doods have any idea HOW fast and slick yer car would be if you put a full week's pay into it every month? (Like a car payment on a new high-priced car)
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Sun, 13 February 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Toyota cruiser? Cressida. 7MGE over here, limited edition even had the GTE in it!

Sorry, but i'm not aware of ANY cressida that came standard with a 7MGTE, and i dont believe any JDM models did either...

All the ones on the road are covos i'm pretty sure, but i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Sun, 13 February 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
89 MX83 wrote on Thu, 06 February 2003 16:57

Not defending ford or anything, i would never buy an australian car, but at least Ford have now got a Twin Cam engine, not like bloody Holden which STILL is using that 3.8L unrefined OHV engine

Get with the times man Rolling Eyes

Check out the VZ released in August last year
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Sun, 13 February 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a tuner in syd recently got 280RWKW (or maybe it was 260, I cant remember) from a lightly modded XR6-t.
basically a fuel computer (and maybe some injectors?).

I'd say putting out that much power, with the uber-torque of a 4 litre turbo, that it would be reaming most cars that haven't had a decent bit put into the engine & mods.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 09:38

89 MX83 wrote on Thu, 06 February 2003 16:57

Get with the times man Rolling Eyes

Check out the VZ released in August last year

Maybe you should get with the times? This thread is from 2 years ago Laughing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i must add im a convert... my brother just got an AU series 2 tickford XR6 and fuck me it handles! on stock suspension!

but unfortunately you can say it has AMI build quality (refering to the comparison of the early ozzy built toyotas compared to jap ones)

if i won lotto i'd go out get an xr6t before a jza80 Sad

Allan
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the AU has a bit of a twitchy arse, and not nearly as much feel in the bum as a supra... that's my only real complaint.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AU series II XR6 got IRS... much much better
ozstrider
Regular

September 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having driven an XR6 turbo, i just gotta say they hammer. A bit sluggish until boost kicks in, but then they fly.
Never been in the celica so not sure. Theres just to many factors to take into account.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know about the turbo but i drove my mates XR6 company car yesterday,yes company car the lucky bastard..and it has to be one of the nicest cars I have ever driven! It corners really well gets up and goes great has all the creature comforts and all round was a really well balanced car..my suggestion is dont bag it till you drive it...the turbo would just put the icing on the cake..

nothing shits me more than people who feel they can give opinions on cars after reading about them in wheels/motor mag Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 20:12

nothing shits me more than people who feel they can give opinions on cars after reading about them in wheels/motor mag Rolling Eyes

Damm straight. Also the same wankas they have sisters with boy friends with mates that heard they are crap Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate fords but I'll admit the xr6 turbo is a good car, very tunable, not as heavy as the barge nose V8's and cheaper too. If Fords are what you like it is by far the most round pavkage for value for money, option up the better brakes couple grand for ecu upgrade and voila 280kw and the brakes to stop it. Specially the Mark2 with the t56 which has better capabilities of supporting further power.
another couple grand and 330kw 550nm of torque and it's becoming a serious animal, all in a car capable of taking the family interstate or cutting low thirteens to high twelves down the quarter.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allan you traitor!

anyway toyota seem to be moving on over to electric sports cars, no doubt when this happens the rest of the car world will be struggeling to keep up (and i mean in performance aswell)

the combustion engine is archaic compared to an electric motor. (and the electric motors that are gonna hit the shores in sports cars one day soon are mad torque monsters that rev way way beyond 6000rpm!)
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been in one and they're very comfy. I like them. It's made me hate ford less but everything can bow down to the 2jz-gte Smile

Edit: rdraginrolla, yeah I hate ford because it's not Toyota Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
and..

BLICKTAWN BRAH! Laughing Shocked

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 17:17]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Mon, 14 February 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm old thread.

Anyway, I find that the interior feels cheap, very very cheap. The driving experience is dull and lifeless (imho). I don't feel as if i'm driving the car, i'm more just going along for the ride, and if I can fool the car into doing what I want so much the better!

Old school modified toyota's kick it's arse Wink
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My neighbour and good friend has an XR6T. Loves it, but hates it at the same time. He is constantly complaining about the Fuel consumption. It sits on 15.5L/100km - thats shithouse. And therefore only good for 400k out of a 600L tank. And since buying new Holden One tonner, the XR6T sits in the garage.

oh and on another note: my police man friend who also Owns an XR6T has been through 3 clutches and 2 gearboxs.
And no he doesn't thrash it, but he did buy a turbo - not a fairmont. So its driven likewise.
boostjunkie
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the MK1 gearboxes were pov. The new one's are a master piece. XR6T is a very very fast car. No doubt I would own one over any toyota, holden or nissan, apart from an R34 GTR. 4LTR, huge torque turbo maniac. Lots of potential and will see some very fast times. The F6 typhoon, even better.

The new HSV's with the LS2 will give it to it.. faster than an M3, porsche gt etc straight of the floor. Once again, 10's are to easy to obtain.

Thats all drag strip though, not track times. Jap cars would outrun it easy on the track.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boostjunkie wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 12:06

The new HSV's with the LS2 will give it to it.. faster than an M3, porsche gt etc straight of the floor. Once again, 10's are to easy to obtain.

Maybe a Boxster Rolling Eyes Any 911 or M3 would lay waste to a Clubsport R8 and the like.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 14:46

boostjunkie wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 12:06

Maybe a Boxster Rolling Eyes Any 911 or M3 would lay waste to a Clubsport R8 and the like.

I dunno for sure. All I know from the testing, they can be quite quick (but seem to fade in hot weather).

Anyway, for the price, the Z Series HSV's and XR6T can certainly go faster than most people can handle for bugger all money.

Simple as that.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i couldnt believe how high the clutch was on my mates XR6 over halfway up before it bit Confused as for the interior looking cheap WTF? my mates has leather option and it is gorgeous,as usual anyone who faults this car I believe hasnt come close to either sitting in the thing let alone taken it for a drive... top car allround..while i love my old ta22 what have you done for me lately toyota?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure they're quick, but a 911 S which isn't a heap faster than a standard 911 did a 13 second quarter in MOTOR's PCOTY. None of the HSV's nor FPV's got close. That was same day, same track, and the ambient temps were lower than the 911 S for all cars bar the CV8 Monaro.

Value for money for sure they're great Smile For my money though and everyday usability, I'd be mucking around with an STi and doing something about some decent boost control Nod
boostjunkie
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 15:16

No. Clubsport LS2 13sec 1/4 from factory. IS faster than those cars. Proven, not claimed. The LS1's were in 10's without even opening up the engine.. The LS2 will be a mad man, no questions.

Not saying its a better car. But its faster.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 04:31]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boostjunkie wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 12:30

No. Clubsport LS2 13sec 1/4 from factory. IS faster than those cars. Proven, not claimed. The LS1's were in 10's without even opening up the engine.. The LS2 will be a mad man, no questions.

Not saying its a better car. But its faster.

And has it done it since?
boostjunkie
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 15:35

And has it done it since?

I dont know, i dont own one and a strip, but I would imagine that if it pulls of those consistently in testing, then yes. Usually with the right driver you can push a little more out of proven times to.

The price difference is huge between a 911 S and a new clubby. My point is being that it will beat an M3, and obviously win or loose to a 911 S over the quarter mile by only .1 of a second, because thats the numbers were down to here.

Give me a porsche anyday. but if i had to buy it...
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boostjunkie wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 15:42

Usually with the right driver you can push a little more out of proven times to.

Uh huh.. by right driver you mean pro driver?
Rolling Eyes
I dont know what the XR6T quarter mile times are but my friend who owns one even reckons they're only achievable by a professional driver. And yes he hates the hot weather.
boostjunkie
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, just someone who knows how to drive a car. Anyone with a level head that can drive well and isn't a hoon boy racer can do it. With an auto it means something as simple as good tread tyres and stalling the auto up to say 3grand. knock off at a couple points of a second there. Or just knowing how to launch a manual well and keep the power when shifting. Not exactly pro driver crap, but it does require skill to flat shift and launch a manual well, if you've ever been in a high powered car. It isnt a matter just dropping the clutch and expecting that to be the best. (No comment being made on anyone's driving abilities here)

But yeh, any turbo car is a bummer to drive in the hot weather, you will ping. But this depends on timing, cooler, how much boost etc.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing to note is that you're comparing engines that are what... 15? 20 years appart?

The XR6T should be more refined, faster, more comfy, more fun, and just better in every single way to an oldschool Celica with a 1G. The fact that they are even comparable in ANY way sais a lot for how crappy the XR6 Turbo realy is.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread has become really ghey! at the end of the day I hope a 1g'd celica would beat an xr6t but who knows do a run and see,as for the comparison on the porsche and holdens etc..if you have the money to spend on a porsche why the fukk would you even pay attention to any other mofo on the road,yeh sick you just beat me in ur hsv but im going back to my mansion with my cronic 18 yo model girlfriend and ivory back scratcher while you return to your fat westie wife and 7 kids in penrith to pay off your 100k loan... Laughing fools
boostjunkie
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Tue, 15 February 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh who cares. The XR6T is not comparable to some crappy old toyota, or any other crappy car for that matter. Looks, style, comfort, performance.

Look what they can do after only a YEAR
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2311/article.html

The thing is A BEAST! Just wait until the warrenties start running out and all the owners can start modifying their XR6 Turbo's.. look out.

Dont forget to check out the video.

But maybe these 20 year old sporty toyota's will still keep up with their super sick turbo'd transplant engines .. Rolling Eyes
MickieB
Newcomer

October 2003
Re: XR6 Turbo (rant) Wed, 16 February 2005 03:33 Go to previous message
Hey i'm coming in to this a bit late but yeah.

Haven't driven a turbo model, but in my dad's i run high 15's and it's non turbo. Generally they die in the ass at about 4,000rpm, so i'd imagin one with a turbo spooling up at 3k would be hell fast. I'm thinking high 13's low 14's? Prob faster? And that's just stock, much to be done other than that.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I need a goal
Next Topic:some sort of record?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 02:29:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012573003768921 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.