Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Sun, 13 February 2005 00:48 Go to next message
I have fitted a 24mm TT142 Corona sway bar onto the front of my RA23, replacing the standard 18mm front bar. Now I have found that it binds on the lateral control rods (the ones that run forward on the car, in two spots - one on each side of the car.

The only solution I can see is to get longer end - bush mounting bolts to lift the bar higher above the control rods, but these bolts will end up very close to the struts.

Will the bolts foul the struts while I drive the car ?

Can anyone suggest another better way to fix this problem, without bending the sway bar, or is this the only solution I have here ?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 23:34]

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Sun, 13 February 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one has had this problem before ?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Sun, 13 February 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Getting the bar bent a bit isn't that expensive or hard.
NAMDAMAMI
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Sun, 13 February 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see that bending the bar is an option at all. Sway bars are made of sprung steel aren't they ?

If it's any help, I fitted some Datsun 240Z end links with poly bushes to a mates RA28. It lifted the sway-bar up a bit, but was of no detriment to the cars handling - we got a (slight) improvement because of the poly bushes. I just had a spare set kicking around so we thought we'd see if they'd fit, and they did.

I think as long as there is some clearance between the bolts and the struts while the car is free standing, it should be ok.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Sun, 13 February 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you tried putting it in upside down?

I think the "Lateral control rods" you are referring to are called radius rods. They bolt intot eh chassis at the teh forward end and into the control arm at the aft end. They stop the strut from swinging forward and aft.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestions guys, yes I thought sprung steel should not be heated up and re-bent.
Fitting it upside down is an idea, I would be worried about my ground clearance, but its worth considering.
Radius rods is right, I'm new to modding cars and sometimes I get the correct terms mixed up.
Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put the bar through the chassis mount upside down, but still keep it above the control arms. The slight bends may give you enough clearance (or it may make it worse). Not having tried it or even looked at the corona bar, it's only a suggestion. Let us know how you got on with it, cos thats a hefty increase in roll stiffness.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day, is this Mitch?

I have no idea's on how u can fix the problem, but if u can pick up a cressida GX61(i think its GX61) swaybar which is 24mm i think they fit.

If u r the Mitch i think it is, u should ask stepho for more info on this.

Cheers, Jeff
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks gold28 and jeffro RA 28, I have been working on the car tonight. I managed to get the thing in originally by just removing the wheels and swinging the bar up between the engine and radiator, but that was when the 18R-C was the mode of transport.
Now that a 1G-GZE is squeezed in there I don't have that room anymore so I was hoping that I could get the old bar out without taking a strut off, but it seems I have no choice.
And yes mate, this is the Mitch and I will chat to Stepho once he gets back from his overseas trip.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just leave it off all together.
The car will probably handle better anyway.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now Bill, thats not nice!

Bring the car to Uncle Clinton, he will make it all better.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Mon, 14 February 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree - that's not nice Bill !

Love to bring it over mate but the bar is half off, one wheel is rolling down the driveway, and if flipping it over does not work I will have to wait until Dom gets here on Thursday with his spare bar, or original RA23/28 bar.

I need your help to get the strut off as well. I plan to swing by with some clips for the ST162 grille mounts as well, mongrel motorcycle cops.

Do you have any room in your bag to bring some brake rotors back from Sydney as well ?

IIRC, its was the first job we did together at your place in Kalamunda, was to fit this Corona bar, about the first time we met I think. And, as is common, we got started on this when your phone rang and I got the bar in place by myself, without pulling a strut off, while you talked turkey to some turkey about something.

Anyway, what are your plans this week ? Call you ?

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Tue, 15 February 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shrug*

I'm serious - I haven't had one on the front of the Sprinter since 1999 and it feels pretty good to me.
Also tried it on an LA Lancer rally car a mate owned, and it too felt better on the dirt.

Give it a try.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Tue, 15 February 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough Bill.

This was my original first modification on my RA23, long before this Toymods forum started, and in going from an 18 to a 22mm sway bar I had nothing but an improvement.

Nothing else on the car was changed, and it understeered less by holding a higher speed through corners on a tighter and more consistent line, and improved the turn in and steering feel, albeit only marginally in these areas.

I need the bar in place to pass an upcoming vehicle inspection but after that I might just try your suggestion.

Thanks.
Mitch.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Tue, 15 February 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Bill, were you using high spring rates in these cars.

Generally I agree that the anti-roll bars should only be used for "tuning" the suspension, but at least with my car, the CofG is pretty high and the roll centres wander around all over the place. Short of putting in really high spring rates and/or modifying suspension geometry I can't see how I could avoid excessive body roll and the associated camber changes.

I am not trying to say I know any better, this is just my observations from what I have seen on my car. Any comments are appreciated.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Wed, 16 February 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, a tad on the stiff side I guess. Smile
Fronts are ~380 lb/in and the rears are 280 lb/in.
Not sure what was in the rally car, but stiffer than stock.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Thu, 17 February 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep longer bolts, and longer tubes will fix! You may have to round off the ends of the bar just a tad! Cool

regards Chuck.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Thu, 17 February 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffro RA28 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 18:24

G'day, is this Mitch?

I have no idea's on how u can fix the problem, but if u can pick up a cressida GX61(i think its GX61) swaybar which is 24mm i think they fit.

If u r the Mitch i think it is, u should ask stepho for more info on this.

Cheers, Jeff

If your in australia you might have more chance of getting a MX62 cressida 24mm front sway bar (we didn't get GX61's in aus)! Very Happy

I have no idea if they fit or not, but can confirm that they are 24mm.

Cheers
Wilbo
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Thu, 17 February 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there ya go aye, Do u think they would b the same?

I was just quoting some info that some gave me, they said they wernt to sure of.
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Thu, 17 February 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone tried a MA61 sway bar??
I had the bar off mt RA40 next to a MA61 one on the weekend and they look like the same fixing points!!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ? Thu, 17 February 2005 21:46 Go to previous message
Well, if the bar is identical to an RA40, then a MA61 one will fit a RA23/28.
Otherwise I reckon that any 'bumps' and 'curves' that make the MA61 bar differ from the RA40 mean that is is likely to bind with the radius rods or be rubbed by the tyres on full lock.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 00:43]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:stock 3sgte ecu maps
Next Topic:longer control arm options???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 04:07:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064928531646729 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.