Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Turbo 4age Wed, 06 November 2002 13:25 Go to next message
I have a an aw11 mr2 I have a 4age moter with a ta20 turbo bolted onto it. This all works fine the trouble I have is finding out infomation about the 4 speed auto that came in my 1985 ex japan model. I am desperate to find out anything about this.
  Send a private message to this user    
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 06 November 2002 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know what the gearox is called at all? it might help find info on it
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 06 November 2002 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am having trouble finding any infomation on the subject what so ever. I think it may be compatable to the ae82 models but I cant be sure and I cant even find info on them.The auto work awsome with buttons on the dash to change it from power to econ to full manual. Then it also has an overdrive button. The system is called ECT-S.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 07 November 2002 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey is that just the stock ge with turbo?
can I just ask a few questions
what computer u running?
what psi and how long has it been turbo'd?

thanx
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 07 November 2002 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a stock 4age. Running standard computer and a ct20 turbo.
It runs 8 pounds. It has been running for about 6 months quit succesfuly.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 07 November 2002 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok hold up. . . sorry to be off your topic

one question : HOW??

I didn't think the std ecu could be chipped and have you lowered the compression or anything????
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 07 November 2002 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex too would like to know this...
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sat, 16 November 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I havent lowered the compression. And the computer is not chiped up or piggy backed. The computer had to be fooled a bit as it was reading the boost a bit wrong but after that I have had no dramma at all. As a matter of fact it has been very reliable and my wife drives it daily.
Sorry for taking so long to reply was out of town.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sat, 16 November 2002 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys you can all easily run a small turbo if you have the later model MR2 4AGE which runs on AFM not MAP, changing compression is not really and issue if you keep boost low, Id say keep it from 6psi and lower but yogi would be able to tell you what they will run at reliably. You can play with different things on the AFM to help with fuel mixing ratios , I cant remeber where you put resistors and stuff for big applications but small turbos can run off the standard set up without too much hassle.

Now as for the gearbox...

ECT-S is just a standard toyota switch but is used more on the bigger models like cressida and some camry's, I think "??" it stands for Electronic Controlled Transmission - Sport basically what it does is to extend the rev range between changing gears for a sort of sport mode. Im not sure if the MR2's got that version auto here, personally Id ditch it in favour of a manual..possibly a six speed as I hear they arent too hard to fit up Smile but if you would like to stick to an auto perhaps youre better off getting it rebuilt if its dodgey. or try and get an importer to find one theat matches.

Also check to see if its a limited edition MR2 of some sort..it should be on the engine plate if the code is slightly different..I can say that if it is a rare production specaial you will most likely find that NZ is the best place to hunt for parts for it. Mainly because we got just about every version of the MR2 at home and they were a popular car so lots were sold.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sat, 16 November 2002 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak you still chasing that info on the box...haha

so is it still going good, how was the dyno run?
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sat, 16 November 2002 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am running a map scenced 4age. The gear box is really good i have no problems wiht the performance just wanted to know about it.As a matter of fact I was reading the other day and the NSX from Honda runs sort of the same set up.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey pulcino if you are running a map sensored GE with a standard non modified computer or sensors then how are you stopping the engine from leaning out? The map sensor will only allow for so much (not nearly enough for 6lb of boost) which means you must be getting awfully lean at high rpm!! have you had it on a dyno to check youre fuel rates ? I doubt the engine will last too long if its leaning out like that Sad

[Updated on: Sun, 17 November 2002 01:57]

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I control the scensor with a diode that makes it disregard the boost. I have had it on the dino several times and the fuel mixtures are constant and very safe. 7 and a half to 8 pounds. All day.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gearbox is a c52 same as the 100kw ae93 with linkages on the other side. if you need to replace it the one to get is the e51 from a supercharged aw11 which is the airflow meter engine.
mick
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How would I find out more about the gearbox?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
such as gear ratio's?

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th final
3.166 1.904 1.310 0.969 0.815 4.312
mick
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mick! big congrats dude on the baby dude!
one thing, i think the later models were the map sensored not the early ones!
Theres not much use of me telling you about the limits of the GE, as i have never used one.
Ive always used the GZE block which can take a hiding!
One $300 GZE i brought lasted for for 6 months on 45+psi:D

And mick guess what i just brought......
90 ZX10. cars now are just for transport while it raining and when ive broken the bike!
Laughing
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Mick whered ya get the ratios from?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the inside of a c52! stripped an old one a long time ago.
as i have done with an e51 gze box. haha its still sitting out side the workshop with the scrap, amazingly big box for a 1.6 litre engine.
mick
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well mine definately seems to be strong enough. Handling the extra power of the turbo anyway,
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno about amazingly big but BLOODY heavy
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pulcino how much power were u pulling on the dyno?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 17 November 2002 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Yogi...be carefull on that beast mate!!! Smile I remeber the back ends like to wiggle on those babys in the high speed sweepers!!! when you getting out the greeen paint to give it the once over Wink

I assume the Nos will be hitting it soon, youll have to stop by and show us the new hardware, oh and congrats back at ya dude Smile bout time you kept the better half happy!! and I dont mean the celica!!!! LOL

yeah I may have mixed up the era with MAP v AFM Embarassed
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 22 November 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am currently putting out 110 kw at the wheels.I cant rightly quote them but the tourque figures were very good , Ill have to go and get them to post them. I just blew the oil seal in the turbo. I will fix it this week and then maybe play around with it some more.Thats if I am alloud.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 November 2002 05:53]

AbaddonGZE
Regular

July 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 22 November 2002 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm my MR2 workshop manual talks about the auto.

What information do you need on it?
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 22 November 2002 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everything you have would be good
Does anyone know anything about the Apexi safc. Is it good?
Easy to install and use?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 November 2002 21:55]

redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 24 November 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mate.
Just a few quick questions about your engine....if thats cool.
The 110kw your pulling, how quick do you reckon you could run a quater mile?
Have you modified it in any other way cams, head work...etc.

thanks. Is the exhaust manifold custom or off something else?

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 24 November 2002 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent modified the cams or head in any way at all. Except we did play with the timing on the exhaust cam a little. I havent had it down the strip and I really dont know how it will go. I is decieving. Cos its so small it may feel faster than it is but the v8 s and other turbos that I have played with dont seem to bother it that much. Let u know what it does when I give it a run.Was hoping to take it for a run before christmas but the drag strip where I live has closed down till jan. The exhaust manifold is custom made by a mate in town here H has done a majic job. Any other Questions ?
redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 24 November 2002 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think im going to go with and engine swap instead for my corolla. I reckon its cool that you have made a reliable turbo 4age, but i dont like the idea of being limited in my boost.

I am still interested in hearing how you go at the strip. I reckon you could pull high 13's low 14's. What sort of time do you expect???
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Mon, 25 November 2002 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only reason that I am limited in my boost is the auto transmission. When the auto rode the gears over it was causing a boost spike that the conputer wasnt quick enough to cater for. I wouldnt have had that trouble with a manual. I know of two 4age turbos running 16 pounds no intercooler only water injection and halteck comp. Both were driven by absolute mad men that diddnt know the meaning of speed limits. After a year or so those moters were taken out just to go to 2jz moters no other reason. They went hard all day every day no worries.
I am hoping for low 14s Ill be happy with that from the sedate package that I have.
redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Mon, 25 November 2002 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how much would you say i need to setup a turbo on my 4age?
are you running an Intercooler?
Would it be even more reliable to drop the compression?
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Mon, 25 November 2002 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It cost me 2000 all up to put my turbo package together.But I could have done it alott cheaper. Ask feril he did the piping and such for his mr2. Intercool is your own choice. Water injection works well for me and its bloody hot where I am. But idealy I would run an intercooler. How much money do you want to spent and how fast do you want to go ? Where the two meet is what you should do.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Mon, 25 November 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak costs...umm. lets see..
the materials for the turbo manifold:
steam pipe about= $20-25..
the flat bar needed about= $10..
the welding= $0 (unless the old man charges me for the welding rod's, and the finish welding he did for me after i tacked it where i wanted it all to go)...
the most expensive part, the machining of the flange faces= $70.. (i think i got ripped)..

modifying the cast dump pipe= $25..

the intercooler pipe work i got done at a exhaust shop= $143.25..
(that includes the bit on my exhaust to go to the dump pipe)..

the turbo i got for swapping a sub box and some lights, so i guess about= $350 (the normal price for a second hand one)

all the other bits i got of my old ge.. (like inlet manifold, water pipe stuff onlong the back of the head...)

umm.. pipes and stuff for the water cooling about= $50 or more maybe..

cant think of any more just yet, but that about covers it...

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Tue, 26 November 2002 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak oops.. nearly forgot...
the shiney BOV cost me $170.. Very Happy
redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 27 November 2002 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so feral4mr2, is your engine a 4age or gze??
redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 27 November 2002 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never mind....i just checked your site...should have done that first.

pulcino has good points about the really hard driven 4age turbos...feral4mr2 what would your recomendation be?? considering i will proably have about 3K to work with...i dont know if i will have the scratch for a conversion....but i could probably get a turbo, intercooler and microtech computer, and blow off valve for that much yeah??
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 27 November 2002 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak if you want to go turbo, and are wanting to be able to wind up the boost easily and without having to worry to much about if the engine can take it...
go the 4agze, it was made for boost, and they love it... Evil or Very Mad

if you cant get a 4agze, and turbo it for $3000... then there's something wrong as far as i'm concered...

research and planning.....
the main two words in my turbo conversion....
(plus being able to do nearly all of it myself)... Smile
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 27 November 2002 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I agree feral. Idealy a 4agze would be the best option.
I only turbo'd the 4age motor because my wife is a bitch and wouldnt let me spend anymore money.. cause she thinks car stuff is boring
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 27 November 2002 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I agree feral. Idealy a 4agze would be the best option.
I only turbo'd the 4age motor because my wife is a bitch and wouldnt let me spend anymore money.. cause she thinks car stuff is boring
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 27 November 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak hahahaaaa...... yeah, i noticed that last time we were chatting... Laughing

redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 28 November 2002 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you missunderstood what meant....i will have 3 grand for the parts i listed....not the engine. I know that much myself that if i were paying 3K for that gear.....the turbo would be stuffed and the engine....much the same.
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 28 November 2002 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recon for 3grand you shouldnt have much trouble at all doing the turbo conversion.What car are you doing this to.Cos both Feril and I did uors on Aw11 mr2 and had to fit the exhaust manifold into a very tight space.But if its in an Ae you shouldnt have any trouble at all.Make sure you recon the turbo before you do the final fit saves pullin it out later DAMMIT.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 28 November 2002 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak what? are you getting it gold plated?? (joking)..
are you planning to do this yourself? or a hungry 'expert' doing it for you?

do some more 'research and planning' you could be amazed at how much it might not cost you....

personally, i would be buying the engine first.. ze's are a hell of a lot of fun, even before you turbo them... Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 28 November 2002 10:30]

poida
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 28 November 2002 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah for 3 grand you should be able to get away with it, even if you just stick to the blower setup. The GZE engines are quite cheap and plentyful. My mate picked one up for under 1K with everything (even ECU) but the intercooler.

It depends on how much you can do yourself, there is heaps on $$ to be saved in making your own manifold for a turbo. Anyway mate goodluck with it. Pete
redgti2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 28 November 2002 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh its going into a ae92...so there will be enough room. Im gettign it done at a big name workshop (not saying yet) in victoria, one of my mates is a mechanic there so...lowered prices.

Would a small/larger turbo be better?? Im going to be getting a whole new computer too i think, to keep an eye on boost for me.

Would a two and a half inch exhaust be large enough??

[Updated on: Thu, 28 November 2002 23:31]

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 29 November 2002 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A smaller turbo will spool up quicker.Mine and I think Ferrils kick in at about 3000 and party all the way.I run a 2 1/2 system with no cat and split from a straight through baffle to twin 3 inch dumps.My car is very quiet but it does sound sexy when I get into it.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 01 December 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak yeah, mine spools up 2800-3000rpm... and yeah party all the way from there... Evil or Very Mad
i have 2 1/2" complete exhaust system, high flow 2 1/2" cat, 2 1/2" turbo muffler single in, twin (either side) exit...
but it is still a bit loud....
Quote:

My car is very quiet but it does sound sexy when I get into it.

yeah baby yeah.......... Laughing
Quote:

Would a small/larger turbo be better??

it probably all depends what you want to do with it...
Quote:

Would a two and a half inch exhaust be large enough??

i would think so... i think a lot of people have a 3" dump pipe and go to a 2 1/2" system...

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sun, 01 December 2002 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ferril got the turbo ported.Smoked another 8.
LIFE IS GOOD
chrishanley
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 06 February 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the article i was alluding to before, can anyone figure out how this was done? (the map sensor modification)?
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 06 February 2003 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is it you want to know?
chrishanley
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 07 February 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i'm interested in a parts checklist for the moment... ideally i'm looking for an easy cheap shopping list so as i can just buy up all of the parts and then get to putting it all together. i know i need a turbo, manifold, cooler, fuel pressure regulator, anything else? can you estimate a power figure? i'm after a low boost, high reliability setup that makes me chop... i want to run about 8psi with a stock turbo and cooler from an r32 skyline. Would this be ok? i want to spend about $1000 but i'm doing it all myself, so hopefully it should be check. once i've got the parts then i'll be more after the "how the hell do i make it work???" info. Any help will be tops. Thanks heaps
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 07 February 2003 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris give us your email and ill have to send thos photos that way
chrishanley
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Mon, 10 February 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my email is christopher.j.hanley@uts.edu.au
thanks heaps
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Wed, 12 February 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

didn't know getting the 4age blown was possible or relatively that simple...

just one question.... are these 4age engines the one with TVIS??
chrishanley
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 13 February 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it'll be super sick if it works out, just gotta give it a shot, i was thinking of using a t25g does anyone know where these babies start to spool up on a 4age?
anyone wanna build my exhaust manifold for me?
i'll pay you?

cmon please....................
chrishanley
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 13 February 2003 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the engine (pulcinos') is a red top tvis map sensored 4age, which should be the same as yours, cool eh Very Happy
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Thu, 13 February 2003 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Chris try http://www.mr2supercharger.com/JohnWuttrichturbo.h tml
Johns a bit of an MR2 guru and he used a t25. Razz
drifter4ag
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 14 February 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go for it guys turbo bluetop yields excellent results
i have done two turbo bluetops in 2 different ae86s both on stock ecu
one with Skyline BB-t3 which made excellent power well over 200hp
dynod @ 5psi with no cooler got 97kw@wheels and at 8psi 14.2@103mph
this motor blew up after 1.5years of around 8psi with the T3 and over 30000kms of boost including around 8-900kms of tracktime
my second setup which was more drift orientated .. on bluetop using stock ecu but this time with t25 at 4psi with no cooler 14.7@150kmh/94mph this motor lasted one month as while i was at track drifting the old car got massive fuel surge and the motor went pop.
Im now putting a redtop engine in with largeport head so 10.3:1 and 6psi should have some pretty good results.
I strongly recommend if you are going to track race or drift you get an external pump and surgey as it could save your motors life

Matt
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Fri, 14 February 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How did YOU control your mixtures and trick your computer to accept boost.Did you use water injection?
nos4ag
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo 4age Sat, 15 February 2003 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hey Guys, I recently just finished my 4age turbo conversion on my 1988 SX Twin Cam, and it goes great!
My mods are as follows:
Stock Blue Top 4AGE
T-Vis Removed
Microtech MTX-8
2'1\4 Inch Mandrel exhaust
Garret T25 Turbo from Twin Turbo 300zx
Custom Manifold
Pulsar Gtir Intercooler
4AGZE Injectors
Stock Fuel Pump
And it made 97kw@wheels on 7psi,l with plenty of room for improvement on my overall setup.
If anyone has any questions about the conversion, email me at newone78@hotmail.com!
Cheers Boys!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 import diff still with drums
Next Topic:20V owners - What Gearbox oil?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:15:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11467504501343 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.