Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
I need a goal Mon, 14 February 2005 10:11 Go to next message
I will be looking at replacing the corona this year, and have a few options that I like and wanna get other people's opinions.
My dream would be say 97-99 Toyota Caldina Gt-t if they actually start bringing them in.
Other options are Subaru Liberty 2000 onwards, Corolla Sportivo though bit too peaky for my likings. Soarer witha 1jzgte or Cressida but insurance is a problem.
I will be lloking at getting a car once I'm 19. But here's the catch, it needs to be reasonable on insurance and not attractive to thieves as it will be parked at the station all day 5 days a week. Hence the Caldina may be goods cos ppl don't know of it.
I have quotes for insurance the calsina actually being teh cheapest at 2.5K, Corolla 2.7K and liberty 2.6K for an rx manual.
Another car I love is the Clio Sport but am kinder turned away becuase of lack of space and dodgy reliability
I am around 6 foot and weigh 90kg, which eliminates a cheap runabout and possibly the Caldina haven't sat in one but being JDM I can imagine the seats.
I roll out of the seats in an Echo, can't get my shoulders between the bolster's in the rex and my knee rub the huge arse steering wheel on the rona meaning I have worn off the side of the brake pedal lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I feel I need a goal to save towards otherwise the money will just be spent pointlessly.
  Send a private message to this user    
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: I need a goal Mon, 14 February 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about one of those Lexus or celsiors (what eva they are called) with a 2j like the black one i saw on here not too long ago.
What a sleeper.
The Caldina sounds like it would suit you.
I wouldn't worry about the seats
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I need a goal Mon, 14 February 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 21:11

and not attractive to thieves as it will be parked at the station all day 5 days a week.

your corona fits this description perfectly.

drive the corona to the station, buy the caldina but keep it parked at home.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't have space for two cars the rona is already in my neighbour's place. I would also prefermanual and am not really a fan of the celsior, chaser yes but insurance is like 3.5k which is too much.
Can anyone tell me a definitive date when Caldina's should start to be availabke in aus.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a cressida and live with the 7m-ge for awhile, major step up from a corona
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't wanna do the conversion, too much money and I can't afford to have the car off the road.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fast car parked at the station 5 days a week. seems to be asking for trouble if you ask me too.

park corona in the street near your house and park it in the street at the station.. coronas love the street.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or better yet.. do something like my corona..

looks just like a corona

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 02:44]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sis's car is already out the front of our house, and i wouldn't be able to pay for rego and insurance on two cars. My parents would kill me for one. We already have five a sixth would just complicate matters too much.
I love the rons, but in the future more money will need to be spent on engine done 410K km and burns a fair bit of oil, not alarming amounts but will need attention soon. Also the timing chain will need replacing in around 10K km so I don't wanna keep it too much longer.
The car has been very reliable and takes a caning but its time for a change. Two years this August, I'll replace it after christmas.
Just trying to get ideas thats all.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been tempted but my rona is live rear axle and has rear drums no power steering, plus as said before I can't have the car off the road.
If I sell the rona I would probably look at buying a newer car as it will be easier to maintain, plus being an accountant the corona doesn't really fit the image. Feels kinda wierd driving it in a suit every day
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh you need an avante Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

it's a luxury rona.

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 13:48

plus being an accountant the corona doesn't really fit the image.

mate it fits the image perfectly

accountant == tightarse Razz Razz Razz

but yeah cambo station + nice car = tears

best station car is one that no one would want to steal (ie common and shit) and looks like its not even worth breaking into for stealing personal items cause its so povo.

EDIT: dont get us wrong we arent telling not to buy a nice car ever, just highlighting the risks.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 03:03]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep I only got the CSI, but its cool. I so want a Caldina but will be hard to find one in a manual, and I really don't want an auto, thus turning me off most soarers and cressida's.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn double post

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 03:00]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I park at mino but there is a Liberty GT there and it hasn't been touched Shocked .
I will also be getting a road bike soon cycling not motor bike, so the Caldina being a wagon or any hatch would be preferable too as I can cart it round in the back. That or a ute.
ma70king
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a 2 door BMW E36 put a 1jzgte in it, put some scissor doors on and an LSD then your set.
Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you on drugs, one way out of budget,two I don't wanna do a conversion I want a ready to go car. Three I don't like rice so no scissor doors, atleast give me a sensible suggestion
ma70king
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agze sprinter on carsales for 8,500.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2149891&current_r ec=2&total_rec=2&sort_type=&make_id=8& amp;model_id=274&state_id=7&search_distanc e=25
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm no not a fan of sprinter, insurance is bad and I don't want a car that old. Also a sprinter is too likely to get stolen.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you consdiered a liberty RS? similar to a caldina if you find a wagon. insurance may be a killer though.

other than that i'd say a cressida that already has a 1J conversion. if it's an auto deal with it until you can afford to swap the box for a manual one.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in all honesty if your parking it outside and parking it at the station i'd be getting something boring Confused

Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey All,

Dude if u park it at any station between glenfield and macarthur your up the pooer lol, u could drive a complete and utter poobox and it can still get stolen..catch a bus to the station

CHEERS

NOLAN
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No chance of the Caldina coming into Aus anytime soon. You want performance and room for a 6 footer, at reasonable cost ? Look at a 1989-1990 Crown with 1UZ (cost less than $6000) or a 90 or 100 series Mark II with 1JZ-GTE. Take all the badges off the car and never wash it, so it looks like crap at the train station.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4, debadged and with the front bar and bonnet replaced with SX parts... probably want to put an FMIC behind the front bar though... just spray it black so its hard to see.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't mind crown's but really want something a bit newer say mid nineties to early 2000's. Only old car I like is the Cressida. I really like the Caldina and was a thread on here about it getting raws approval.
Came back from the city today to find a small patch of oil under the diff, fucking thing is leaking again, it was only repaired about 9 months ago with a new gasket for the same problem.
I ain't catching the bus to the station one cos they don't run regularly enough in the area and two cos they are too fucking expensive. I like to drive and want the convience of having the car, too get to the station when I wahnt and come straight home.

I'm tempted to just get a weekend car but with the rona being a bitch and having small things going wrong on it like the diff gasket I would end up spending money on it that could be directed towards a better car.
Personally I not really a fan of Celica's and insurance for a GT4 would probably be too much, as for the Liberty hard to find one that hasn't been thrashed off its nuts, and once again insurance.
I tempted to get a stocker hatch and just wait until I'm over twenty five for a decent car but that just ain't me.
I love cars and I really want to get a decent car that I can throw some money at in the way of mods and enjoy the experience.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4 is out of question 7k for insurance
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I need a goal Tue, 15 February 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Other option is something like a forester Gt wrx mod pack and lowered suspension for the sleeper look, then debadge it. If I got a Caldina I would chase down some turbo diesel badges, take the others off and throw them on, would explain the bonnet as well and we know how much aussies like diesels Laughing
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: I need a goal Wed, 16 February 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LEXUS ES300..........
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I need a goal Wed, 16 February 2005 03:58 Go to previous message
heh under 25 with a performance car.. just get some 8,000 fast car and dont insure it.

sucks being under 25.

they wanted 4,000 or something like that for my bike which isnt even my main form of transport(company commodore)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:guess how much is this alarm kit
Next Topic:XR6 Turbo (rant)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 10:25:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066928863525391 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.