Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 01:40 Go to next message
Gday fellas,

I've just bought myself a ke20 rolla with a 2tg with approx 800km on the engine since rebuild. I'm now at the stage where i should flush the oil and put regular stuff in - want to make the decision what oil to use and stick with through the life of the engine.

Now, the bottom end is standard as far as i know, not bored, etc etc. Head has had work done to it, assume porting etc etc. Bigger cams, produced a (claimed) 124hp at the wheels. Was built for club level rallying.

Budget for 5L i'd like to really keep sub $60 or so - i don't want ot be spending $100 every oil change. Is synthetic worthwhile? What grade should i be using? Its no use asking a shop, they'll just tell me i need a 20w60 because its an old engine, when in actual reality its not.

Thanks fellas,
Bardin.
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Penrite HPR 15.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your engine is old, old in design, not old as in worn...
newer engine designs use thinner oil, *generally* older
designs used thicker oil

well broadly speaking i think most engines in the same catagory
as the 2tg use the general 20w 50 oil, anyone got a manual for 2tg? im using castrol gtx2 because in losing a fair bit of oil atm and it works fine in my 2tg. i think a full sythentic oil would be best but for most older engines its overkill and expensive. it depends on a lot of other factors too...

many articles on oil, facts / figures / mineral vs synthetic - try google

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2005 03:06]

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always used GTX2 in 2tg's and 18rg's just do the regular oil change at 5000km because its like the oil starts to break down and the engine begins to rattle a bit.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Styler - i agree, thus why i'm asking, i didn't want to go sticking something too thin. For a shop to tell me i need 20w60 is another thing, i figured that 20w50 is where it would probably be at.

I've read up about such things before, but its been a while, shall refresh the memory with the link, thats for that.

Given its fresh and i want it to last, i want to make the right decision and stick with it. The car has a cage, etc etc and will see perhaps the occasional motorkhana and maybe someday entry level rallying of some sort, but near all of its use will be on the road - its my only car.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a geeze at that document there, if i am to go to synthetic - mobil 1 15w-50 seems like a fair bet to me, reasonably priced and readily available, and of a suitable grade. It seems to rate reasonably well in the comparison charts of VI and pour temps, although no ash and zinc levels are given.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2005 09:22]

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Fri, 11 February 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobil 1 will leak through your frt and rear main seals as the guys are saying penzoil or valvoline or any mineral oil ,dont run syn at all
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Sat, 12 February 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough - you have personal experience of this happening yourself?
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Sun, 13 February 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run a Penzoil 10w40 semi-syntheic and it purs along just fine. The only issue is some oil seems to beat the poor seal at the dizzy. It rattles for 2sec on cold start, but runs a treat throughout.
NAMDAMAMI
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Sun, 13 February 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
styler wrote on Fri, 11 February 2005 14:00

anyone got a manual for 2tg?

In the SST List & Specification for 2TG it states ;

Recommended oil - SD or SE w/proper viscosity.

This means nothing to me and is probably of no help at all, but that's what it says.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Sun, 13 February 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The 2T-G requires 3.8litres of SAE No.30 engine oil, according to the official Toyota 2T-G engine manual.

Also, ensure you get the proper Toyota (ie do not get Repco or any other brand) oil filter for the 2T-G. They cost a little bit more but they are a much better filter and will help your engine in the long term.

seeyuzz
river
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Sun, 13 February 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used Penrite HPR15 or HPR20 in my 18R-G and swear by it.

Never had a problem, but did with other shit oils like GTX2 (used only once)

As River said, use decent filters, and change them every second oil change

Cheers

Michael B
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Tue, 15 February 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much do the oil filters cost from Toyota?

What is the benefit of running a "genuine" filter, as opposed to running an aftermarket one?

I have a Z9 filter on my 2TG at the moment, as I were told they were the same (although bigger) than a normal one. I get them for free, so I put it on for now.

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Tue, 15 February 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The Toyota filter seems to have a better flow rate. When I start my car in the morning and the engine is cold, the oil pressure is almost immediate. I once tried a non-genuine filter and it took a couple of seconds to get the pressure up and the engine made a nasty sound until the oil pressure got up.

Considering the age of my engine and I want to keep it in top running order, I decided the extra few bucks on a genuine filter to be good value.

I have heard from others also in regards to the genuine filter being better and having similar experiences with off-the-shelf filters.

seeyuzz
river
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Tue, 15 February 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the input, River.

Can you remember how much the filter cost you?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Tue, 15 February 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

No, I can't remember. Just ring your local Toyota dealer and ask them if they have one, or could get one in, and how much. You're not looking at mega-dollars or anything scary like that. It's only a couple of dollars more than a generic one.

If the Toyota dealer doesn't know about the 2TG engine (and trust me some don't know shit about the early cars or their engines) then you'll need to get the proper part number and ask how much for that particular part.

There was a thread around on these forums not so long ago regarding the part number for the oil filter. Do a search and see if you can find it, if not, I'll check my 2TG engine manual and see if it lists the actual part number.

seeyuzz
river
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Tue, 15 February 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure they wouldn't give you a 2T oil filter? I mean the bottom end's are the same...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Tue, 15 February 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure you specify, if they're any good, they'll be able to check it for you. If you have the part number also, they can't (unless they are TOTALLY inept) give you the wrong filter.
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Wed, 16 February 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll go down and ask them myself....just last week I bought a new top hose for my 2TG which set me back over $20 (I think it was $23) so now I just assume everything from Toyota is expensive.

Are there different filters for the 2T and 2TG?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Wed, 16 February 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, tell me about how expensive Toyota bits are. You oughta try getting wierd old bits for a 1973 RA25, then you'll see what expensive means. Hell, I'm now on their Xmas card list!

Remember, when you get the filter, to run a thin film of grease or oil over the rubber ring on the filter before you install it. It helps preserve a good seal and prevents the leakage of oil from the filter/engine connection. Also, don't over tighten the filter when you're putting it on - just turn it until it grabs and then give it a fraction more.

seeyuzz
river
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Freshly rebuilt 2tg - Which oil? Wed, 16 February 2005 05:22 Go to previous message
Just a comment. Use the recommended grade of oil for your engine as that is what it is designed for. Also do not try and run the engine with synthetic oil as you will have problems with ring bedding in. This is real important for the first 500-1000k.

Craig
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:flywheel machining
Next Topic:Air Bypass Valve
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 15:58:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063660144805908 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.