Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 10:00 Go to next message
Hi,

I hope this is in the right section....

I got me a nice, leather, period TRD gearknob for the old girl, but she needs a helicoil inserted into the knob so she can screw onto the gearstick.

I tried to take the helicoil out of the original gearknob but it's jammed in good and proper and I'm not about to destroy the original knob in getting the helicoil. So, I'm looking to get another one and put it into the TRD knob.

I've been informed it's a 12mm 1.25pitch (WTF that means).

So, dear learned Toyotaphiles, where would one go to get such a thing?

seeyuzz
river
  Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
break wat helocoil? means for us not so smart ppl Razz and i might be able to help ya
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the part that you're looking for a plastic piece with M12x1.25 inner thread? (Can it be called as a helicoil?)
Anyway, if so. Get M12x1.25 bolt and wax it. Then fill the knob with some epoxy/resin and place the bolt in. When resin hardenned un-bolt the bolt out and turn the knob in place.

sorry about the misspellings and grammar.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better to wrap the bolt with teflon tape.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could pack it with resin or even something simpler like plastibond and tap a new thread in.
but just do it the easy way and use the teflon tape.

p.s. i mean wrap the shifter with teh tape and bang the knob on. it should stay on. thats how i stop my knob from falling off when i slam it around.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 11:47]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was thin layer of teflon and epoxy.. not just tape Razz
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not trying to be sarcastic but for those that do not know, a helicoil is usually made from alluminium and is used to reduce the bolt size required of a hole.

for example, if you have stuffed the thread of a bolt hole what you do is drill it bigger and re-tap it, then the helicoil is screwed in to the new bigger hole to form a smaller one which is the same as the original, ie, 12mm 1.25pitch hole is damaged, gets drilled to 14mm and re-tapped to 14mm 1.25 pitch, helicoil gets screwed in and the hole is back to a 12mm 1.25 pitch again.

now helicoils are spring like coils, when they are screwed in the expand slightly and the is no way in the world of getting them out without redrilling it again.

alsom they are used when you break a bolt in the hole, instead of trying to get the broken section out you just drill it all and make the hole bigger and repeat the above

river: what you need to do is find out the size and pitch of the knob and also the gear stick and but the relavent helicoil. as for where to get one i couldnt say for sure but try the normal autobarn and stuff but you may be better off asking your mechanic (is you use one) where to get one or to even get one for you

cheers
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 18:00

Hi,

I hope this is in the right section....

I got me a nice, leather, period TRD gearknob for the old girl, but she needs a helicoil inserted into the knob so she can screw onto the gearstick.

I tried to take the helicoil out of the original gearknob but it's jammed in good and proper and I'm not about to destroy the original knob in getting the helicoil. So, I'm looking to get another one and put it into the TRD knob.

I've been informed it's a 12mm 1.25pitch (WTF that means).

So, dear learned Toyotaphiles, where would one go to get such a thing?

seeyuzz
river

If you want to do it right, and I'm sure you do, take the knob to a reputable machine shop and ask them to helicoil it to 12 x 1.25.

They will drill and tap it out to a larger size, and then wind in a stainless coil with an internal thread of 12 x 1.25mm.

The new thread will be much stronger than the old one.

Failing that, Coventries, Repco and the like sell Helicoil kits but they are around 50-60 dollars plus you have to do the work yourself....

Cheers

Gabe
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Gabe. Take it to a machine shop. Do it properly and once.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I'm not sure about the RA23/28, but anyone with the old round manual gearknob on their TA22 will also have the same thing.

The internal plastic thread of the knob is too great diameter to screw onto the gear stick, so Toyota reduced the thread by inserting a metal helicoil.

I'll go down to my mechanic in a little while to see if he can do anything or if he can recommend anyone.

Again, thanks for your replies.

seeyuzz
river
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 19:52

not trying to be sarcastic but for those that do not know, a helicoil is usually made from alluminium and is used to reduce the bolt size required of a hole.

for example, if you have stuffed the thread of a bolt hole what you do is drill it bigger and re-tap it, then the helicoil is screwed in to the new bigger hole to form a smaller one which is the same as the original, ie, 12mm 1.25pitch hole is damaged, gets drilled to 14mm and re-tapped to 14mm 1.25 pitch, helicoil gets screwed in and the hole is back to a 12mm 1.25 pitch again.

now helicoils are spring like coils, when they are screwed in the expand slightly and the is no way in the world of getting them out without redrilling it again.

alsom they are used when you break a bolt in the hole, instead of trying to get the broken section out you just drill it all and make the hole bigger and repeat the above

river: what you need to do is find out the size and pitch of the knob and also the gear stick and but the relavent helicoil. as for where to get one i couldnt say for sure but try the normal autobarn and stuff but you may be better off asking your mechanic (is you use one) where to get one or to even get one for you

cheers

I think youll find a heli-coil is made from wrapped stainless steel wire. Aluminium is useless for anything to do with threading, it's too weak.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Helicoil Tue, 15 February 2005 23:48 Go to previous message
Just take the knob to a general engineer's workshop, with the gearstick if you can, or a nut that fits on the 'stick thread, as well as knowing the length of the thread on the gearstick.

The recipe goes as such:

-Hand over 1 knob + 1 nut + 1 piece of paper telling length of thread on stick.

-Return next day to pay money (less than you'll pay for a helicoil kit - TRUST ME) and collect knob.

-put knob on stick.

-drive.

-Smile Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST205
Next Topic:Old Pac Run Video
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:31:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060150623321533 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar