Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What should i get next....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:16 Go to next message
thinking about what car to get next down the track.

both will be built into track cars ONLY, so legality is not an issue. nor is having an interiour.

Lighter is better, but.. i want to try something different also

options are at this stage

- AE86 still. will be a propper build up this time, no more boro hachi. undecided what engine and susp package i would run. Too sick of messing around with different types of setups to care anymore.

or

-MZ20 soarer with a 1jzgte, i can get the soarer rolling shell for about 1K minus front panels etc. but everything else is there. then get a 1jz, some serious light weight mods, get some wheels and then set the susp up...

both will end up costing the same.
  Send a private message to this user    
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it have to be a Toyota?
If no, then how about an MX-5 turbo'ed?
Could get a mid 90's one (series I body) for about $15K, then buy an AVO turbo kit...
Too much?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 06:35]

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 17:34

Does it have to be a Toyota?
If no, then how about an MX-5 turbo'ed?
Could get a mid 90's one (series I body) for about $15K, then buy an AVO turbo kit...
Too much?

Sounds good

s14 200sx?
Nah get another 86
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep must be a toy Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Westfield Clubman/Caterham with a 20V 4AGE an option?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its for drift use mate, with some occasional laptimes thrown in.

No i will be building up a competition drift car.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then get the lightest car you can get.

A KE30 or KE20.
Maybe a KE36 PanelVan.
They look orsm.

Stiffen it up, and BAM!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soarer...

enough said.... Very Happy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx5? GHEY
ke20? light, but leaf sprung rear end

i say get the jzx81 or mz20, long wheelbase so sliding wont be hard (not like it would be for u anyway u crazy fucker) and with 1j u will be able to bag 4th!

how light can u get an mz to? 1100kg? or is that a bit too optimistic? iv dont know much about that chassis
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stick with the hatchi's siimon -= just make one that will blow all these nissan's into the weeds ! maybe if your going full hog - a 3sgte swap backed up by some tough as nails drivetrain components to stick it to the Sr20 crew
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arch: LMFAO @ 1100kg Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Simon as i said before wait untill mine is done, take it for a cane and then make your decision...
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 19:53

Simon as i said before wait untill mine is done, take it for a cane and then make your decision...

what does the soarer actually weigh?.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
long live ae86, once your an ae86 owner, you don't go back!!

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with xolent

ae86 with a 3sgte

Wink

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 with 3S-GTE RWD conversion. Pretty much the same shape as the 86 but just different Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 19:42

MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 19:53

what does the soarer actually weigh?.

around 1430kg

Shane that conversion would take way too much time and money, neither of which grows on trees.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bullshit. It would be no harder than the last conversion in Simons 86.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One for the Rotor/Nissan fans

http://robx-7.nopistons.com/userimages/c/c4977d75b 1e8.jpg

Or maybe a st162 with 1uz , the cars are cheap , as the engine
So the purists don't get upset Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 23:13

Bullshit. It would be no harder than the last conversion in Simons 86.

let me clarify first, you mean moving the 3S to RWD via changing to north south or by welding up the transfer case and making dummy driveshafts?

if the first well its too damn hard, if its the second, the driveline wont last very long....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mean the first. It would be so simple. You already have the engine, W5X box and S series bellhousing are easy to come by, and all the other bits are also there.
Very simple.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 23:25

I mean the first. It would be so simple. You already have the engine, W5X box and S series bellhousing are easy to come by, and all the other bits are also there.
Very simple.

yep, i thought so, youre on drugs...simon is his own man and i dont make decisions for him but i have a feeling he would say the same thing...way way way too much fucking around.

I cant even belive you compared a conversion of that magnitude to the CA into AE86, that is childs play compared to what you have suggested.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a weird way I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should get out a little more.
What is so hard about it? Do you even have any idea?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sigh

whatever, if its so simple then some one should do it...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I didnt think so.

Every man and his dog is doing the 3S RWD conversion because its so easy.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
icon14.gif  Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saw your promo video
excellent work mate! Very Happy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane, if not the difficulty factor... what about the MONEY?!! r u gonna pay for the 3sgte and all the fuck around?! NO

plz be quiet now Surprised
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man an ST165 comes with a 3S-GTE!!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 07:47

yeah but as far as i can see thats the only advantage to doing that conversion. so you save about $2000.

They are difficult to find good suspension for them, cheaply at least, and the whole geometry of the car would be thrown out when you turn the engine the other way around, they were not designed for that, plus with most things being custom in a setup like that, you break it you have to make it again, its not as if you can duck down to your local parts importer and pick some of that shit up on a regular basis.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An MA61 with a 1JZ, WOO YEA!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Mon, 14 February 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 08:44

yeah but as far as i can see thats the only advantage to doing that conversion. so you save about $2000.

They are difficult to find good suspension for them, cheaply at least, and the whole geometry of the car would be thrown out when you turn the engine the other way around, they were not designed for that, plus with most things being custom in a setup like that, you break it you have to make it again, its not as if you can duck down to your local parts importer and pick some of that shit up on a regular basis.

Am I the only one that knows what an ST165 is?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 10:29

MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 08:44

Am I the only one that knows what an ST165 is?

no, an ST165 is the 4wd turbo variant of the ST162 celica, it is more commonly known as a GT4. I have personally not often seen good suspension for them for sale under $2500-$3000 as opposed to an S13/Soarer/Supra which decent coilovers can be found for them for around $1000, there are more factors than just getting the car running which would be a feat in itself.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 06:44

An MA61 with a 1JZ, WOO YEA!

Bite your tongue.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot that this whole dorifting thing is made up of car only fitted out with expenisive jap brand goods.
The struts fitted to the ST165 are a standard off the shelf item. Its only the ST205 that has the super strut which is expensive.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres some info on the st rally car :

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Toyota_GT4/Street_Ce lica_ST165.html

After working on st's all i can say is there a very well build car which i don't think you would get much lighter . Sad
Not to mention that the suspension geometry is for a front/four wheel drive operation , and has no great room for any easy modifications to get the amount of camber , or more importantly in a heavy car caster . The front suspension would be a pain in the ass to get to the car to handle and to have the amount of steering lock close to Simons ae86 . And the front suspension relationship to the rear might be such a balance that changing the front makes the rear unstable . Then if you look at the Weight distrubution F/R: 59/41 and figure moving more drivetrain mass into the front , it could have a center of mass very far foward .

But really someone of nissansilvia didn't have a bad idea . Since there seems to be large amounts of money being spend buy some Holden related industry's into Drift now , why not approach the opposition .

Lets look at this Holden vs Ford .
Well suspension which is really the key to the drift speed and cost to set up . The front suspension there really is not comparison , the V8 supercars of Holden use the Ford front suspension since there are since producting old MacPherson strut designs in there road cars . Ford has moved to a front double wishbone suspension , well its not a real double wishbone set up more a duel arm located strut like the Honda's / Merc's of ten years ago . Its still a good system and large camber and caster easily changed without the need of altering the lower arm and ackermann angles . Then onto the rear , the Holden has Control-Link Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). Semi-trailing arm , Progressive rate miniblock coil springs , Stabiliser bar , yes well it had that years ago directly pulled off the Opel Omega's , it looks like a copy of say a 80's bmw . That rear system needs huge modifications to change any angles and really isn't very easy without changing components . Now the Ford system independent rear suspension with multi-link Control Blade , yes a long lower arm to control large amounts of torque compared to the Holden . Maybe after years of having the live axle with the control arms coming to behind the front seats on the race cars they thought it was a good idea on a road car .

Then if you add lots of used supercars parts teams etc , maybe he was going in the right direction Smile

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I give up. I must be one of very few people let on this forum that have nay interest in modding cars.
But I will say one more thing! If you think converting an ST165 to RWD is going to put more weight at the front, your a tosser. You will be removing a heavy arse gear box from between the front wheels and replacing it with a box down the middle of the car.

I have changed my mind. Simon, go buy another 86 just to keep these kids happy.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How are you going to turn around the engine in a GT4 & fit a gearbox on the back of it? The firewall is the wrong shape to fit a gearbox there.
Mind you, if it doesn't need to be registered, then ditch the heater box & you'll have all the room you want for a trans tunnel.

A half version of Justens GT8

My 2c
subaru brumby with a 1UZ. Its already north-south engine & only weighs about 800kg. Plus no weight over the rear end would mean no traction.
Only issue would be to convert the front handbrake to the rear (but I know how to do that too), but the rear end prob would need conversion to a live axle to handle the V8 torque.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Simon ... not many cars handle nicely as a well set-up AE86 ... MZ20 Soarer is a good choice but I think it lacks the 50:50 distribution relative to an AE86 however power is easier to extract.

I'd definitely get something newer however a Silvia platform for you will lose some of that unique-ness that the 86 has.

What's your budget though? Other platforms which come to mind:

R31, Ciefero, Cresta!

Even Shane's got a Cressida rolling shell which will be his next platform one day when funds permit ...

I'd stay away from a MX5 - I'm finding they have the usual scuttleshake although not as bad as a MGB ... you'd need to weld a full rollcage to make them a good drift machine.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 10:14

you'd need to weld a full rollcage to make them a good drift machine.

Not that you'd think of anything less when drifting an opentop car! Smile

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 12:47

Dodgy_Haro wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 10:14

you'd need to weld a full rollcage to make them a good drift machine.

Not that you'd think of anything less when drifting an opentop car! Smile

thats the absolute truth there dude, some people just dont understand that tho, the user ^driftking^ comes to mind...the sa boys will know what I am talking about here Rolling Eyes
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i first said, the choice will be either the soarer or stick with an ae86. im not really going to deviate from that plan unless something cheap comes up.

simon
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd be keen to see a cressida sticking it to all the cefiro's. Evil or Very Mad
but yeah ultimately its your choice, no point asking others where to spend your money. it just starts shit fights.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T18 3TGTEU??

Just a suggestion

Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 04:20]

boostjunkie
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S4 rx7 13b ,
silvia sr20det maybe ca18det, both tuff engines,
180sx or 200sx,
R32 with RB25 or 26, not rb20
AE86 definite engine transplant to turbo though,
most toyota's that look cool for drifting weigh heaps,

Something decent like those,
Generally nissan would be the go, great engineering, lots of parts, tough as nuts, looks the part.

unless your a toyota man - wild guess you are.

It is for drifting right?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 21:11

Ok I give up. I must be one of very few people let on this forum that have nay interest in modding cars.
But I will say one more thing! If you think converting an ST165 to RWD is going to put more weight at the front, your a tosser. You will be removing a heavy arse gear box from between the front wheels and replacing it with a box down the middle of the car.

How does a relatively light compared to its strength st165 box and engine placed as far back as its able to be in the bay . Angled towards the rear of the car running east/west . Being made to fit North/South the engine will sit further forward and with a w series box behind it . Its mass will not be if any further back than the st165 box , how is this going to equal better weight distribution ! As well as a much higher engine/gearbox mass , do it if you think its a good idea . But after struggling around a the drive-train in those cars you soon see that every available space has been filled as well as the whole unit sitting as low as possible .

Next i will here that early ta celicas also have good weight distribution , every lifted one by a crane into a crusher ? the center of gravity is at the point of the screen top edge . Measure how far forward the engine mounts in relationship to front wheels compared to the sprinters , there firewall is way back due to not having that huge under sweeping dash that the celica's have . No wonder no one is drifting those understeer is the only result no matter how modified . I must be one of the few people on this forum that have a interest in modifying car worth modifying to start with .

Its not really a case of it cannot be done , but in a limited time , with a limited budget . Also the availability of parts since Simon has already seen his far share of vehicles since such is the nature of the sport he is involved with . I remember when the ca18 ae86 Beginning , it evolved to a competitive car with no budget in weeks . Not years or months which a four wheel drive to rear wheel drive conversion would take .

Hey call me a whatever you like but in the time some people here haven't even done a engine conversion / brake conversion whatever , Simon has been competing in a car with all manner of running gear / suspension / brakes / shells . I put my hand up to help as normal , but the point of the exercises exceeds the point of stupidity . I could see it still not going until next year , then to try to make it handle Rolling Eyes and all the time the other competitors are progressing forward Sad .
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the MZ!
or stick with the 86
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The general public will always think of you as being the 86 pilot, so you may aswell stick with that image Smile

drift soarer would be cool but you don't want to be stepping on Matts toes!

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 14:04

Cool1 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 21:11

How does a relatively light compared to its strength st165 box and engine placed as far back as its able to be in the bay . Angled towards the rear of the car running east/west . Being made to fit North/South the engine will sit further forward and with a w series box behind it . Its mass will not be if any further back than the st165 box , how is this going to equal better weight distribution ! As well as a much higher engine/gearbox mass , do it if you think its a good idea . But after struggling around a the drive-train in those cars you soon see that every available space has been filled as well as the whole unit sitting as low as possible .

Next i will here that early ta celicas also have good weight distribution , every lifted one by a crane into a crusher ? the center of gravity is at the point of the screen top edge . Measure how far forward the engine mounts in relationship to front wheels compared to the sprinters , there firewall is way back due to not having that huge under sweeping dash that the celica's have . No wonder no one is drifting those understeer is the only result no matter how modified . I must be one of the few people on this forum that have a interest in modifying car worth modifying to start with .

Its not really a case of it cannot be done , but in a limited time , with a limited budget . Also the availability of parts since Simon has already seen his far share of vehicles since such is the nature of the sport he is involved with . I remember when the ca18 ae86 Beginning , it evolved to a competitive car with no budget in weeks . Not years or months which a four wheel drive to rear wheel drive conversion would take .

Hey call me a whatever you like but in the time some people here haven't even done a engine conversion / brake conversion whatever , Simon has been competing in a car with all manner of running gear / suspension / brakes / shells . I put my hand up to help as normal , but the point of the exercises exceeds the point of stupidity . I could see it still not going until next year , then to try to make it handle Rolling Eyes and all the time the other competitors are progressing forward Sad .

Your simply full of shit. Until you get a 165 and pull it apart and move the engine around, you have place talking the shit you are.
I also want to see one of these dreamer 165s with the "light" gear box mounted back under the car! I also want to see a 165 that has the standard engine sitting further back that what the engine will when mounted north south. You have no idea at all about the GT4s and the 3S engines. I bet you dont even know the 3S is a shorter engine than the 2T?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i have pulled a st to pieces as a few people here have seen . Relax i have seen plenty of 3s engine since most are spinning big ends by now , as for 2t engines i had one 10 years ago and cannot remember if it was shorter Rolling Eyes or care for that matter it was so long ago . I am sure nobody's going to build a 2t st165 rearwheel drive in a hurry . As far as the box please read "relatively light compared to its strength st165 box" it really didn't seem heavy compared to other four wheel drive east/west boxes like a ht164 lancia box , or audi box , if you would like to compare similar era's .

Build it , for free i will ship up some corner weighing scales and we will see the results . Without placing lead in the rear of the car it will never hit 59/41 , it might be closer to 64/36 which most manufactures try to achieve for the perfect balance in front wheel drives . Yes front wheel drive weight dynamics are so far removed from good rear wheel drive set up's it not really worth it for just the point of it Laughing

Maybe instead of raving on about a conversion that you will never carry out , you might like to think of something constructive. Please prove me wrong Laughing It might be a great conversion , you can get Simon to drift test it if he hasn't retired by the year 2050 maybe Cool As far as dropping to a low of swearing i bet you are the kind of person , which looses argument's all the time Laughing even when you are shouting to roof you still loose but never think why Embarassed . Cannot wait for the response Twisted Evil .

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 11:39]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Simon..

Sorry to hear about your car.

But I reckon you get back to your 'roots' and go rotary..

Maybe a Series 6 for race and rally.
Could be had for less than 10k!!!

I think it's awesome value.
You can't ask for any better..

Go "SimonRX7" once more!

hehehe
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Tue, 15 February 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2005 21:21

Maybe instead of raving on about a conversion that you will never carry out , you might like to think of something constructive. Please prove me wrong Laughing It might be a great conversion , you can get Simon to drift test it if he hasn't retired by the year 2050 maybe Cool As far as dropping to a low of swearing i bet you are the kind of person , which looses argument's all the time Laughing even when you are shouting to roof you still loose but never think why Embarassed . Cannot wait for the response Twisted Evil .

The conversion is already under way.
And unlike you I have people on here that can back me up when I say that I play with rally cars all the time where weight balance matters more than anywhere else.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"The conversion is already under way."

Then why Rolling Eyes

"ST165 with 3S-GTE RWD conversion. Pretty much the same shape as the 86 but just different"

"Bullshit. It would be no harder than the last conversion in Simons 86."

" mean the first. It would be so simple. You already have the engine, W5X box and S series bellhousing are easy to come by, and all the other bits are also there.
Very simple."

"In a weird way I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should get out a little more.What is so hard about it? Do you even have any idea?"

Because if you had started such a project you would have jump up and down about the fact YOU are building one . It would have had web pages of information like every other part of that ta22 you have been building {how many years ago was that started 2002 ?}. So what is it , you are secretly building a st165 rwd , or it just more rubbish Shocked Please once again prove me wrong .

"And unlike you I have people on here that can back me up when I say that I play with rally cars all the time where weight balance matters more than anywhere else."

Weight balance in classes where the Scrutineering is more strict than most other levels of motorsport controlled by Cams . I spend a year to years ago working with a guy you might have heard since you a rally expert , Drew Wilson chief scrutineer at mostly all the ARC rounds in that year . He also is connected the the Suburu team here in the team based in docklands . Mostly the only cars are weighed and checked for ride height , why is this so ? because moving components around vehicle will stick out like dogs balls in a production based series .

Are you serious trying to tell us that corner weighting to balance of say a V8 supercar compared to ARC will be more beneficial to the performance of the vehicle ? Why are teams in the track racing areas weighing cars constantly even in practice . I have never seen a corner weighting scale set ever pulled out at a ARC event , maybe its due to the fact that after the scrutineering even if the vehicle comes back with so much as a spare tyre not there it was carrying it is instantly disqualified Sad Really what are you going to change ? to balance the car to a degree which will increase the performance to a level which was worth while doing compared to spending that time on the suspension and other areas . That might be the difference between competing and playing i guess Laughing .

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want light, RWD and Toyota try importing a few KP6* Starlet shells from NZ. Bugger all in Oz, can make up your own fibreglass panels so you have a mould for inevitable damages. 4 link rear (although top mounts need lengthening), can adapt AE86 struts etc very easily and bits from bigger Toyotas are useable. Hell, there was even a factory race series for them.

Callum

[Updated on: Wed, 16 February 2005 00:28]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 10:04

"The conversion is already under way."

Then why Rolling Eyes

"ST165 with 3S-GTE RWD conversion. Pretty much the same shape as the 86 but just different"

"Bullshit. It would be no harder than the last conversion in Simons 86."

" mean the first. It would be so simple. You already have the engine, W5X box and S series bellhousing are easy to come by, and all the other bits are also there.
Very simple."

"In a weird way I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should get out a little more.What is so hard about it? Do you even have any idea?"

Because if you had started such a project you would have jump up and down about the fact YOU are building one . It would have had web pages of information like every other part of that ta22 you have been building {how many years ago was that started 2002 ?}. So what is it , you are secretly building a st165 rwd , or it just more rubbish Shocked Please once again prove me wrong .

"And unlike you I have people on here that can back me up when I say that I play with rally cars all the time where weight balance matters more than anywhere else."

Weight balance in classes where the Scrutineering is more strict than most other levels of motorsport controlled by Cams . I spend a year to years ago working with a guy you might have heard since you a rally expert , Drew Wilson chief scrutineer at mostly all the ARC rounds in that year . He also is connected the the Suburu team here in the team based in docklands . Mostly the only cars are weighed and checked for ride height , why is this so ? because moving components around vehicle will stick out like dogs balls in a production based series .

Are you serious trying to tell us that corner weighting to balance of say a V8 supercar compared to ARC will be more beneficial to the performance of the vehicle ? Why are teams in the track racing areas weighing cars constantly even in practice . I have never seen a corner weighting scale set ever pulled out at a ARC event , maybe its due to the fact that after the scrutineering even if the vehicle comes back with so much as a spare tyre not there it was carrying it is instantly disqualified Sad Really what are you going to change ? to balance the car to a degree which will increase the performance to a level which was worth while doing compared to spending that time on the suspension and other areas . That might be the difference between competing and playing i guess Laughing .

Its nice you have proved you cant read.
I didn't say that I'm doing the 165 conversion. I didn't say I was a rally expert either.
And my Celica isn't finished because its not just getting an engine conversion. I'm sure it would be done by now if was. This is the reason why I don't understand you being on this forum. You think a car modification is all about painting your car white with a black bonnet.
My TA22 has all new upgraded brakes which I designed myself not something I copied from an article on a forum.
Has an upgraded diff, complete new fuel tank, has a CAMS/Andra approved cage waiting to be fitted, coil overs all round, fibre guards all of which takes time and money.
I run a business which takes up 6 days a week. So if you reckon you can build a car by your self only on Sundays, I reckon your full of shit.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS85 Crown with supercharged 1UZFE.

Crown................................$0
1UZFE................................$1200 (+/- 400)
Eaton M90 blower kit.................$5000
Dellows bellhousing kit + W58 box....$1500
tailshaft............................$200
weld F series diff...................$0
Microleb electronic carby............$1000
Petrol...............................$20

Unique drift car.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could do the same with an RT81 Very Happy ok to drop that off today?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 11:38

Microleb electronic carby............$1000

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey cool1 , read again what you posted " The conversion is already under way. " does that not spell out YOUR doing the conversion Rolling Eyes Yeah you not going to prove it right Very Happy .

What about the corner weighing in rallying , some large holes are appearing in your story Shocked

"You think a car modification is all about painting your car white with a black bonnet." what drug are you on ? You really haven't read any post of mine and must be confusing me with some else Laughing I have lost count of how many cars i have been a part of there conversions .

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=58826&start=0&rid=1935&S=efc9f4516d7 258b2f65b92dbbcf8fc5f

3 weeks full time , mostly waiting for parts to arrive , about 3 1/2 months dialing the set up while still driving it maybe a few saturday morning here and there . Touched it once in a year . And the bonnets not black yet if that gives better lap times Laughing .

Thats why my point with your ridiculous conversion is Confused , the time spent in building the st165 rwd and money . Only to find thats its a complete pile of crap in the end whilst everyone else has built cheaper cars which work better .

I will give you a example : the runner up in the 2 litre sports sedans two years ago has been out of the competition for 1 1/2 years building a new motor set up and altering the car suspension . The engine has been build from scratch lots of times chasing the 150hp per litre mark , and the body has been altered for a lower ride height , the caster geometry has been changed and maybe some rewiring . After one day a weekend and nights during the week the car finally gets to the track again . Guess what its only 2 seconds quicker .

If the time spent working on the car was spent on driving the car the same time would have been achieved maybe .

Even sometime the best of ideas don't produce the desired result , so there no way a crap idea will ever produce a good result . And a idea with no previous history to back up it could even work .

Gt love that idea , especially the Microleb electronic carby cool1 might need one in 2050 when the st165 rwd is finished .

[Updated on: Wed, 16 February 2005 02:12]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have I missed something, but what happened to your current AE86 Simon?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 11:58

You think a car modification is all about painting your car white with a black bonnet.
My TA22 has all new upgraded brakes which I designed myself not something I copied from an article on a forum.
Has an upgraded diff, complete new fuel tank, has a CAMS/Andra approved cage waiting to be fitted, coil overs all round, fibre guards all of which takes time and money.
I run a business which takes up 6 days a week. So if you reckon you can build a car by your self only on Sundays, I reckon your full of shit.

Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 16 February 2005 02:30]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What should i get next.... Wed, 16 February 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 16 February 2005 02:31]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JDM RA23/28 Bonnet mirrors...
Next Topic:MR2club.com.au down?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 03:47:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097320079803467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.