Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 09:27 Go to next message
I'm converting the front struts to coilover type and plan on using koni adjustable shocks front and rear with TRD rear springs. I will be using 7kg in the front, 5kg in the rear, is this too stiff?? Interested in comments and experience of anyone using this similar setup
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it all comes down to personel preference. See if you can go for a ride in someone elses sprinter or car of simlar weight and check out what their spring rates are, then u can do a comparison and figure out what u want
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not going to be a daily driven car (although street registered) but i dont want to have to visit the chiropractor every week!
Like you say though, its all about experimentation, but less sets of springs i have to buy the better, money best spent elsewhere. Anybody out there willing to take me for a rip in there 86? i live in coburg in melb, PM me!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you wernt a n00b you would have KNOWN to read the FAQ. Which is labeled "Check Here BEFORE Posting". And you would have found a thread called "FAQ:: AE-86 Steering and Suspension". Which would have led you here: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=35782&rid=92&S=9cedaddd10e823383283f778b 39fa99c&pl_view=&start=0#msg_316747
Where there is a wonderful thread on exactly your topic which was only created a year ago.

Now that wasnt so hard was it?

I honestly dont know why i bothered putting so much effort into collating that AE86 Suspension FAQ if no-one uses it.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Wed, 16 February 2005 23:17

If you wernt a n00b you would have KNOWN to read the FAQ. Which is labeled "Check Here BEFORE Posting". And you would have found a thread called "FAQ:: AE-86 Steering and Suspension". Which would have led you here: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=35782&rid=92&S=9cedaddd10e823383283f778b 39fa99c&pl_view=&start=0#msg_316747
Where there is a wonderful thread on exactly your topic which was only created a year ago.

Now that wasnt so hard was it?

I honestly dont know why i bothered putting so much effort into collating that AE86 Suspension FAQ if no-one uses it.

talk yourself up why dont you

Give him a break hes a newbie u dont have to pay him out.
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess the forum status aids in that purpose.

I run 8kg's on the front and 6kgs on the back. Quite stiff but doesn't cripple you or give u back aches (but i swear those stock seats will!)

You should ride in Tofu Garages car... now that's just... stiff!

-Jay
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...chads car...8kg fronts...6kg rear...with trd blues as hard as they go lol with thick swaybar and hard bushes and the rear is 6kg with konis on hardest setting and a swaybar...rides ok tho Very Happy

i supplied susp for this car..if u r interested in stuff like this please pm me Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Wed, 16 February 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fujiwara_ToFu wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 02:54

You should ride in Tofu Garages car... now that's just... stiff!

Oh hell yeah.... Unbeleivably so! Feels like a little go-kart.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Thu, 17 February 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh chad wanted something really hard in his rear.... Razz Laughing Cool Very Happy
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Thu, 17 February 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 11:21

yeh chad wanted something really hard in his rear.... Razz Laughing Cool Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Look dave its not so much a want but more of a need i think!

Jezza
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Thu, 17 February 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 11:21

And I hear you were just the guy to give it to him! Razz
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Thu, 17 February 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh we went for a drive and the rear felt really tight... Laughing Razz
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Spring Rates, for drift/street Thu, 17 February 2005 11:31 Go to previous message
I have read the threads put in the FAQ list. And its cirtainly no bible. I have put in my own post here and there, but there are still more questions than answers. Don't dis someone for re-starting a topic if they have read the FAQ.

It would seam:
F 8kg/mm R 6kg/mm,
F 7kg/mm R 5kg/mm,
F 6kg/mm R 4kg/mm,
are reasonably ballanced combinations, from what people say and use. Some race/drift cars use 12kg springs at the front.

With 6kg/mm springs on the front, I can say Monroe shocks almost keep up. Not ideal but at a stretch it works ok.

With 7kg/mm or stiffer front springs Monroe shocks will not be keeping up with the spring. Stiffer adjustable shocks are needed.

With 7kg springs on the front, and stock springs on the rear, it will not feel harsh. If just feels like a new car. Alot of bounce a passanger feels is to do with the rear springs.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fixing some gutter marks?
Next Topic:ST185 GT4 dash cluster pinout needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 22:26:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047059059143066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.