Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20v not running anymore

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
icon4.gif  20v not running anymore Mon, 14 February 2005 21:53 Go to next message
i need big help peoples,

my 20v silver top has stopped, it has once before stopped sparking because of dirty distributor cap, i have cleaned this up again replaced leads and plugs, i now have spark and as soon as the motor starts in runs but within one second it sounds like its running on 3 cyl and will cut out compleaty with in 5 seconds.
does anyone have any ideas appart from undoing the fuel rail and putting a spark plug to it?

would appricate all info asap, thanks in advance everyone
  Send a private message to this user    
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had a look this afternoon the car is just starting and running like a rota gone wrong, you also cant open the throttle it just dies. and number two exaust manifold has a wet mark on it.
the car ran fine for about 30 seconds the first time i started it today. im all out of ideas.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel pump running on during cranking?

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure your getting spark to all four cylinders?
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
head gasket? do a compression test
mr_corolla
Regular

Banned User

November 2004
    none
icon10.gif  Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bro liston 2 me there is noting worng with the motor i had the same problem b4 u do any thing take the AFM AIR FLOW METER and start the car and if it stay's on for a lil wile and that means that ur fule pump RELA is not connect it to the ecu ??? who evar did u wiring or what evar he didnt do the fule pump (RELA) now there is a fule pump ReLA next to the ECT LIL green or black BOX u have to connet that to the computer wich is ECU i promess u that well be the problem
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get some areo start

if it starts on aerostart then

u have a fuel delivery problem

neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, this car has been running for well over 10 months before this, i have disconnected the wiring to the afm and it still has the same promlem. i myself done this wiring and in responce to (mr corolla) i know this wire is there but maybe the relay has shat its self or my fuel pump has done the same,
i'll check it out this afternoon and let you's know,
thanks for the help so far.
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20v not running anymore Tue, 15 February 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your dizzy n rotor n cap.
Make sure ur sparking in all 4.
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Wed, 16 February 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea done that, but i will check again.
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Wed, 16 February 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok all 4 cyls have spark and the fuel pump is running the whole time(checked by multi meter) took afm off compleatly just leaving open duct, would only start then stop straight away, the car ran fine for the first 2 minutes, than as it got hot the troubles start. im thinking maybe a sensor or computer, but im not an eleco. whats your thoughts?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20v not running anymore Wed, 16 February 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah. checked by multi meter...
that just means it has power on it.

pull off the supply to the rail and make the pump run and see if fuel comes out... or put a pressure guage on the supply line.

could be a blocked fuel filter or pickup strainer(no idea on how your fuel system is set up)
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Wed, 16 February 2005 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the tip, will do that this afternoon. but does that explain why it will run fine for about 2 minutes reving freely and than all of a sudden it will just start missing.

im so over cars.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20v not running anymore Wed, 16 February 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also are the injectors firing.. not knowing 20valves do they have a cold start injector?
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Thu, 17 February 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i know there is no cold start injector,

i really dont think its a fuel delivery problem, the rail was full of fuel when i took off the regulator, and fuel ran out of the injectors when i pulled them out, i used a 16v coil and the same problem happened, so its not the
* coil
* plugs
* leads
* distributer cap
* fuel pump
* fuel relay
* afm

whats that leave?
* computer
* igniter
* sensor inside distributer
* throtle possition sensor
* exaust sensor

the computer runs all of these and tells them what to do and thats got me worryied.

im having my igniter looked at over the weekend, but i will be in syd as of tomorrow morning so cant do anything on the car.

so: the car runs fine for about two minutes, reving and ideling like a new one, then motor starts to miss, and now you cant touch the throttle or it will just die as a result of to much air, fuel or lack of spark or even sparking in wrong order.

i just cant pin point this problem.

does anyone have good instructions for me on for to use the diognastic plug and codes?
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Thu, 17 February 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k the igniter has been looked at and said to be ok,
they also said that it could be the distributer sensor inside on the shaft.

this would make sence but now i need to test it.
would the dios plug tell me this is dead or am i best off getting a mobile mech?

neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Mon, 21 February 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK the latest is:

motor and wiring has been tested and the only thing it can now be is AFM (yep Mr Corolla was right) so if anyone knows of anyone in newcastle with a 20v or anyone passing through that i can use there AFM for 5 min to test it in my car it would be much appricated.

thanks for all your help boys.

regards Craig.
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20v not running anymore Thu, 24 February 2005 00:10 Go to previous message
all fixed, just ran a diognostics test and it read ecu, so swaped it over and all better now. thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze supercharger problem
Next Topic:AE86 diff conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 17:42:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006821870803833 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.