Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » T18 / TE72 Information.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DazTX3
Occasional Poster

February 2005
T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 16 February 2005 11:28 Go to next message
So myself and a mate are looking at purchasing a T18 Corolla from a local wreckers for $300. We started it up and it runs fine. Minor rust and everything else looks ok. Its got the standard 3T motor in it, everything it totally original.

Our plan is to enter this car into the local Sprint series (circuit racing against the clock) and Hill Climb. The idea is to keep the budget to under $1000, including car. Obviously we wont be winning any events but the goal is to enjoy racing as well as learn a thing or two about driving at the same time.

From what I can gather, the T18 (TE72) has the same basic suspension/brakes/chassis as the famous AE86, with the major difference being the 3T motor compared to the 4A of the AE86. Can someone please confirm or deny this for me? If that it true, it means that the vast majority of aftermarket gear (in particular interest is suspension components such as springs and swaybars) for the AE86 should be able to go into the T18.

I have read elsewear that a MX3x or MX6x series Cressida front struts and brake assemby is a straight bolt on upgrade (brake upgrade that is) for the T18, can anyone elaborate on this?

Can anyone suggest other upgrades that might be available that are 'on the cheap'. Coil overs are obviously way out of budget here.

With the diff, how expensive/hard is it to convert to LSD? What needs to be done and what parts needs to be found?

With the engine, Ive read up on the idea of 2T-G/3T hybrids but at the moment that is out of reach. So for the moment it looks like an 32/36 Webber and a set of extractors and exhaust is the best bang for buck. Can anyone comment on that idea?

Other opinions welcome, Id appreciate answers specific to my questions however.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 16 February 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The AE71 is a closer match for the AE86, but the TE72 will do. The suspension is different though, cant quite remember the details though.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 16 February 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speak to jessetamset (or something similar) on here. He has a fair bit of T18 experience.Rear suspension is identical as far as I know, and the front should well be, but others should know.

An AE86 LSD centre is a bolt in affair if you get one to suit the small axles (23spline), but they are expensive. Just weld it.

Main difference is the T18 has a steering box while Sprinter has rack and peanut.

Your plan sounds good. The 3T is almost indestructible and will go better with a carby and extractors.

Hen
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 16 February 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im the other party involved in this project. I posted in general, obviously the wrong place.

On another forum someone stated they were poor handling and troublesome, so I wonder if anyone can back this up and what the potential handling fixes are.

I think springs and a rear sway bar would be the limit of the money spent on handling however.

Hopefully they arent a lost cause, as that would take us back to step one.

Will a welded diff result in more understeer/less turn in, thats what was noticed on our previous ke55 bush basher.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 16 February 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo_Tim wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 00:07

On another forum someone stated they were poor handling and troublesome, so I wonder if anyone can back this up and what the potential handling fixes are.

Maybe stock with 20 year old suspension, but apparently sprinters can handle, and most of the underlying sheet metal is of the same dimensions, i cant see T-18's being troublesome Razz Although the sheet metal is similar lots of mounting points are slightly different.

The sprinter strut tops are different to the T-18 ones so to use ae86 camber plates/strut bars you have to elongate one of the holes (jessetament can help you out with that)

Heres my old T-18 which was my first car, dead stock with buggered suspension, it was a bit boaty, the brakes cook pretty quickly after a lap or 2 of calder park but all in all a fun car Smile http://gb.detonated.org/fun.avi Smile

If i was to set one up with that budget id focus on some new shocks/springs with some sort of vented brake upgrade on the front (i think ra60 is a good swap for em thats cheap). rack and pinion conversion using an ae71 or ke70 would be a good idea if you want some responsive steering Smile other than that do all the rubbers in the suspention and it should be a fun car

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just found my vid of my other T-18 Smile

http://gb.detonated.org/T18.MPG

im driving pretty crap though, over correcting everywhere, still fun Smile

I have video of my stock T-18 going around calder park somewhere too, my best time around the track was 92 seconds Wink afaik the v8 supercars used to do 58 seconds hehehehehe
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a cheap brake upgrade (which you'll definitely need if you want to race it), RA60 struts are a direct bolt on and you get bigger calipers and ventilated rotors... should work very well on a car as light as the T18.

The only problem is you will end up with about 1 degree positive camber, but if you use Sigma lower control arms that will become 3 degrees negative with a wider track. This isn't a great idea for the street but should be perfect for racing! A friend of mine did this years ago on his T18 and he was pretty happy with it.

Here's a couple of pics, they're not very good but you can see how the front wheels are pushed out to the edgo of the guards.

http://www.norbie.net/rhys/othershit/T18_1.jpg

http://www.norbie.net/rhys/othershit/T18_2.jpg
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks norbie, there are a load of ra60's at the wrecker, but I think we would be hard pushed to find 2 calipers and struts between them. What would be the going price for that setup from a wrecker, pulling the parts yourself?

We got offered MX32 cressida struts and brakes for $100, apparently these work too?
Sigma control arms will be handy to remember.

We went to the wrecker looking to buy a 1980 model, but it has no rear sway bar, unlike the 83 next to it. We wanted the diff but the wrecker said we could have the second car for an extra $100. So it turns out we get two t18's for $400.

Any sprinter people want a t18 diff minus sway bar mounts (because it doesnt have them).

Whats a t50 and 3t worth? Hopefully we can recover the additional $100, either that or it will become a bush basher.

We are starting to get a stockpile of early toyota parts it seems, even though initially I had no interest in them, they seem to be one of the better manufacturers from the era. Datsuns are just too overpriced.
DazTX3
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know what stud pattern and offset the T18 takes?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stud pattern is 4x114.3mm, same as all smaller RWD Toyotas. Offset is probably around +27mm.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo_Tim wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 13:57

Any sprinter people want a t18 diff minus sway bar mounts (because it doesnt have them)

Id keep the axels and the center and take the housing to scrap metal or something Smile

that way u can have a cig locked as well as an open center w/ spare axels ;P a second hand LSD to suit would prolly set you back 500$ (cheaper if ur lucky)
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, what ever happened to rhys? i talked to him a little over email a few years back and he was planning a crazy 3sgte conversion into his T-18, do you know if it ever happened?
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw someone willing to pay $200 for a non-sway bar t18 diff on here the other day, or $250 for a sway bar diff.

The second car will probably become a farm basher after we take want we want from it. Always good to have a car full of spares when racing anyway.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 17 February 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rhys got a girlfriend and disappeared from the car scene for good. He abandoned his 3S-GTE T18 project long ago, which is a shame because it would have been very cool. Apparently he's in Singapore at the moment, or so I hear... haven't seen him in years.

Wimmin!
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 18 February 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We got the two cars today, 1980 and an 83. We got the 83 to get the sway bar diff.

The 1980 is going to be the racer, we got to work today stripping the thing down. We removed everything behind the rear seats inside, radio, some other lower dash parts. We removed a heavy towbar someone had dodigly put on it.

Tommorow seats come out and front carpet, then its time to remove all the sound deadening material. I think we are going to use the 83 front seats as they are in better condition. I think we will remove the mechanism for the dicky rear windows and use some other method to secure them up. Seems to be a lot of winding mechanism for them. Heater will also need to come out.

After that its getting a bog up of all the rust (these cars rust terribly it seems), then a quick export quality paint job Smile

Mechanically it seems good, except for being a 3t. It started almost first crank which is good for a wreckers car. I think all the emissions gear will be coming off. It blows a little grey/black smoke that smells like fuel, but its been at the wreckers for a while so it might just be crappy fuel.

Upcoming mods are going to include ra60 celica struts and brakes we have already located. It seems the ra60 struts already have different thicker springs (from visual inspection) in them, any chance they good be any good? We will use the sigma control arms as suggested for camber.

I think a simple 2 or 2 1/4 exhaust will be enough, probably side piped before the diff to keep it cheap and simple.

Then just time for shocks, springs and sways and it will almost be time to call it a day and hopefully under budget.

Have to try and source some wheels, we have some but they are a ~+38 or 40 offset which is think is a tad too much for the T18.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 18 February 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to see another t-18er!
you'll love it! and when people say the old 3t's are unbreakable they arent kidding, my sister blew the head gasket on mine, rather than fixing it the mechanic just took out the thermostat so it didnt overheat and she thrashed the thing cold every day and never had a problem, when it came to me, headgasket fixed and i got a good 100 000 strong km's out of it before it made way for the 2tg hybrid

i think you will find the sway bar from the 83 model t-18 is no good for the 80 model t18.
the problem is where the sway bar mount attatches to the chassis, only the later model t18's had the nuts welded into the chassis to mount the sway bar mount, the hoels are there in the 80 model t18, but unfortunately no thread, you will need to make up some custom mounts and mount them behind the big long trailing arm bolt and use sway bar bolts from another model car which mount vertically, and find a sway bar to match.

one cheap worthwhile mod you should definately do is getting your hands on a ta22 celica diff centre, these are a lower ratio (4.1:1 apposed to 3.9:1)
my cars snapping 2nd in a straight line no worries now, and going a lot harder too with this in it!

anything else you need help with just let me know, happy to help out any other t18'ers!
i pretty much know these cars inside out these days

jesse

- and i have some wheels for sale in the for sale section off my t-18 if you are interested

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 08:13]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 18 February 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger, bad news about the sway bar. we looked and saw holes and thought it would be all good. Im sure we can figure something out. We have a few mates who are handy with the welder so it might be possible to attach it somehow.

The 83 is too far gone to use as the main car however, which would make things easier as i prefer the black bumpers, headlights and grill as well. Seats seem to be better in design and condition in that one too, which means swapping the rails though because even they are rusty.

Only minor things in the scheme of it all though.

Ill have a look and think about the sway bar tommorow I reckon.

I think freight is going to be too much for things like wheels though, we are stuck up in north queensland.

We tried starting the second car, its got nothing. If it even has fuel in the tank is a good question. Noticed something strange too, aircon over the 80, not that its goign to be any good now.

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 19 February 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a look today, is there any reason we couldnt just drill through the current holes and out through the over side of the chassis rail, there is nothing on the other side. Then it would just be a case of getting a longer bolt and putting a nut on the other side.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 19 February 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a bad idea, give it a go on your spare chassis and see!
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 23 February 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We got the Ra60 struts and brakes along with the sigma control arms.
Im assuming we will have to change the Ra60 strut tops as they dont appear to line up with the standard holes.

Other than that its coming along, the water pump has died so hopefully the spare car is still good. No interior left and we are beginning on rust removal (its going to be a big job). Most the way through the sound deadener.

Anyway like to have a guess at what it might weigh, no interior bar 2 seats, no sound deadener, no heater or lower 1/2 of dash, no airpump or other emissions rubbish, no wiper motors or wipers. I think the lack of weight is what we will be counting on to make the thing move.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 23 February 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
around 950 kg's now would be a guess? i've been meaning to weigh mine for a while now...
any progress with the strut brace mounts?
just wack your t18 strut tops onto the ra60 struts, then its bolt em in!
good to hear its coming along!
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 23 February 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest we havent even looked at the sway bar yet, will probably try sometime over the weekend. Between wreckers trips and uni there hasnt been much spare time. I think we will try to get all that mechanical stuff done soon then onto the body work.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 23 February 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PICS!

I love T-18 build up pics hehehe Razz
nabs478
Regular

March 2003
    -
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 23 February 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the end of last year I had a RA60 with a 3tgte and a T18 in my garage, pulled both engines out, planning on getting everything good into the T18.
The strut tops have a different stud pattern and the springs in my RA60 were too wide for the strut tower (I guess that would be the same for all RA60 springs). I persisted tho because I had expensive shocks and also I wanted the brakes from the RA60. I pulled the strut tops of and swapped the springs too, which was a litle dodgy because the bottom of where the springs sit isnt made for that spring so the spring will be able to bounce aorund a little - but hopefully it will be fine (I havent actually got it going yet so I dont know). Also if you keep the bottom part bolted to the strut that then bolts out to the end of the tie rod for the steering, and install it into the T18, you will get extra lock because the RA60 one is shorter. It will also save some f*&cking around as they are quite hard to remove.
The other thing is, T18s have a 3.7:1 ratio, I'm not sure about TA22 but I think their diffs are smaller and wont fit. The RA60 diff will tho and is a 3.9:1. You can also get a diff from some sort of an ST that will fit which is a 4.1:1.
Between me and my brother we have ownded 5 or 6 T18s, we have always just gone carbie, extractors, exhaust and welded diff......cant go wrong. The only way we have ever blown motors
is letting them run out of oil!!!
If you are going to the welded diff tho, which I fully endorse, start saving axles!!
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 24 February 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out daytona's 'Maximum Toyota Power' site plenty of good stuff on T18's and 3T motors. Or toyata3TC.com
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 24 February 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like we will have some fun with the front struts then. Hoping we can use the RA60 springs as they appear to be aftermarket. Thinking about getting bendix metal king pads which are moderately priced.

We will do a few meets with the open diff i rekcon, I doubt it will have enough power to spin the wheels much! If it is bad we will weld.

Does ae86 gear like swaybars, springs and shocks (rear) fit?
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 24 February 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The other thing is, T18s have a 3.7:1 ratio, I'm not sure about TA22 but I think their diffs are smaller and wont fit. The RA60 diff will tho and is a 3.9:1. You can also get a diff from some sort of an ST that will fit which is a 4.1:1.

BAH!
-the t-18 diff is 3.9:1
- the ta22 diff centre is a 4.1:1 and this bolts into t-18 diff housing

and i dont know why you would wanna put a RA60 diff in?

getting the 4.1:1 centre will make it a LOT easier to spin those wheels, youll be snapping seconds with stock engine no worries.
and ae86 springs and shocks and interchangable, although i havent tried fitting a ae86 sway bar to mine yet, im pretty sure that will bolt in too.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 February 2005 06:59]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 24 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah we might think of that further down the track.

Good to hear shocks and springs are the same, I see a few on here pretty cheap.

Might have to measure up the sway bar and take a few pictures while we swap all the gear. Would be nice if they were the same, whiteline have a bit available for ae86's.

Fitting the struts tonight, heres hoping we can figure it out. Would be nice to use the ra60 springs, if its close we might have to 'massage' the tower or something, havent had a good luck so I dont know yet.

Prolly going to get a set of bendix metal kings for front pads, hopefully them with the ra60 ventilated brakes should be enough. Rear drums can stay. Glad we are working with a light car here.

I will take some pictures sometime I reckon. Might do that tonight as well. Its pretty average and rusty at the moment.

looks like bodywork is going to be last on the list now.

Also have to fit a bit of stuff for cams such as wired drain plugs, tailshaft loop, seconday bonnet catches etc.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Thu, 24 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We got the old struts out, but couldnt get the control arms off to replace them with the sigma ones. Any trick to get them off. We got the ball joint to the steering arm off (but bent a steering arm, lucky for spares), but couldnt get the one where it attaches to the big main suspension arm off. We undid the nut and removed the split pin but they are not budging. The sigma ones we got the control arms from just popped off, but these have no sign of giving what so ever.

Hints?!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 25 February 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big arse hammer and bash the crap out of it. They usually take a lot of persuasion!
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 25 February 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think tis a problem now, but we both feel pretty foolish.

We got misled by this http://members.fortunecity.com/daytona/t18/brakes. html

We saw the pick labelled as control arms, so thats what we went and got, neither of us could figure out for the life of us how that would effect camber or track, but went with it.

Well, I discovered the stupidity of our way, time to go back the wrecker and get the lower control arms for real this time. I had also referred to the part we really need as lower control arms on my car.

So just to check, sigma lower control arms, the big bit that attaches to the chassis, sway bar and has the ball joint on the end? Someone said sigmas varied, any idea what model we need the control arms from?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 25 February 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL yes the control arm is the big steel lever between the crossmember and the bottom of the strut.

Apparently the Sigma control arm in question was about 3cm longer than the T18 arm. It's the length you're interested in, that's what gives you the camber.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Fri, 25 February 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah we have figured it now, cant believe we could make such a stupid mistake. We were both set there looking at the control arm wondering how the hell that would affect camber as well as increasing track.

So the sigma control arm mounts up easily? Im guessing so. Will probably do that on tuesday or so. For the weekend might be time for some body work starting.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 26 February 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a few things about the sigma arms

- make sure you get the 1 piece arms off the OLD sigma, a lot of the sigmas have 2 piece arms with bolt on ball joints which are much longer and will wind up giving you about 7 degrees neg camber.

-they will need some modifying to get them in, take out the crush tube and hack saw it down smaller, and knock some of sides of the bushes down with a belt sander to get it to fit into the t-18 x-member

- and depending on your wheels, they will probably rub, i had to remove my inner guards and bash out the lip, not hard if you dont mind a bit of rough bodywork.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 February 2005 02:24]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 26 February 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The wrecker in question has about 7 sigmas of varying ages, we noticed an older one there as well, so im sure we can find the right type.

7 degrees negative camber hey.... bit more than we need Razz

We removed rust today, almost done with all the sound deadener, up to the drivers and passenger floor, right up against the firewall.

Tommorow I will do some body filling then its time for paint.

We were going to put the black bumpers for the newer model on there just because they would look better with the paint scheme, but they seem to have a lot of reinforcing and are a lot heavier and wouldnt fit overly well either.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 26 February 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the plastic bumpers are heaps wide too, make it look like a bumper car, the chrome bumpers are a much better size/shape, if you dont want chrome, why not paint the chrome ones black?

pics or ban!

[Updated on: Sat, 26 February 2005 10:30]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 26 February 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill take the camera out tomorrow, i dont have one, but I will borrow. I prefer the grill and headlights of the later model though, so they will go across. Not really necessary, but why not.

Ill see how the black paint goes on them.

Im suprised to see we still havent found any structural rust yet, lots along the rear window sills though, a bit coming from the gutters in the roof. The rear window sills were terrible though, we will fill them then put the trim back on to cover. Aslong as it last a season or so its all good. Next year we might continue the process in a different shell or something.
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 27 February 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had 2 T18s, the first one used to get 60 out of first (some have 3.7:1 T diffs) The handling of both was ok, but I think the steering box ratio was a bit weird, the steering in them feels doey even with good suspention (as compared to the ae86 responsive steering).

They rust like buggery, mainly around the rear side windows.

Some T18s had rear sway bar and some dont but all use T diffs

They are heavier then AE86 too.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 27 February 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I know about that rear window rust. I spent a few hours today bogging the massive holes. Why do these cars rust so bloody badly. Then again I think all toyotas of the same era are the same.

On the way to work on ours I saw a sorry site, a dumped, stripped ad smashed up ae86. Perhaps we should find the owner and offer some money on that Razz

I have pictures, they are dodgy but I will post later.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 27 February 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
foxtail
what is the actual weight of the ae86 and t-18?
ive heard 960 being thrown around for both cars.

the steering sure does suck a bit, 4 1/2 turns lock to lock, not sure what the sprinter is?
putting in a ke70 steering rack wouldnt be too hard, i should have done it when i did my engine conversion, if your engines coming out, why not?

Quote:

Perhaps we should find the owner and offer some money on that

NEIN! you will love the cheap abundance of body parts available for the t-18!
my friends gotta pay $95 for a parker and $125 for a blinker for his ae86, i could get a hole SET of lights for that i reken!
and another friend payed $400 for a stock AE86 bonet!

and being different is fun! i honestly dont care about the dog ugliness! it makes it more fun and thrashable

[Updated on: Sun, 27 February 2005 09:18]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 27 February 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its true, a car only cost us $100 Smile We have a full load of spares which is turning out very handy.

Pics are uploading now. They are pretty povo looking though. Next week it should be painted though with the front suspension completed.

So far we have removed all sound-deadening except the firewall, rear seats, heater, airpump and anything else in the interior except front door trims and 2 seats. Started painting the interior today, good old export quality.
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 27 February 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think AE86 steering is just over 3 turns lock to lock

My AE86 is 930kg (weighed), I was told T18 is close to 1000kg.

Possibly use a KE30 box or similar (as for rack would require different crossmember.

Good luck finding T18 parts in QLD, I have people looking for them and all we found is 2 crushed at scrap metal yards, I have seen T18 tail lights go for $250 ea
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 27 February 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parts are definately not concern for us. We have 2 complete cars and have another shabby looking one located unregistered in someone's house.

We have 3 t18 tails too, one appears to be from anothre car like a corona or something. It looks complete different from the rest and has the wrong number of globes in it. Either that or its an early model and the other side had the light model light in it.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Tue, 01 March 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We got the sigma arms today, once piece, made sure of that. Was from a sigma II (according to the brakes) as opposed to the sigma III which have the 2 peice.

Didnt have much time to get to fitting them today, but they should be in and finished tomorrow. Should be able to get the Ra60 springs to fit into the towers with a little bit of modification to the strut tops. The only problem I can see if that the strut top rubs on the ra60 top carrier as it is is a different shape, so we have figured that a washer (or a few) should be sufficient to put enough cleanance between the strut top and top spring carrier. This will also make them fit into the strut towers quite easily. Heres hoping anyway.

We have the bolts and setup for the sway bar, should do that later in the week too.

We have moved our deadline forward nearly a month to march the 13th, so we have a lot of work to do between now and then.

For the first meet we will probably run stock rear chopped suspension and then get it done properly in the month or so off before the next meet.

My house mate uploaded pics somewhere, but I dont know where. They are on the internet, i just have to link to them.

Body work should be done and painted applied this weekend so I will also have a before and after hopefully.
DazTX3
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 02 March 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im the other bloke working with Tim on the T18.

jesseT18: With the sigma control arm conversion, what did you do about the sway bar mount and the excessive toe out that you get?

I have drilled a new hole in the control arm to fit the sway bar. The only way I can think of fixing the toe out (we got around 20 degrees I think!) is to try to adjust it back in, but the bloody adjustable sleeve bit is hard to get off after more than 25 years.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 07:03]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 02 March 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its definately not as easy as it might have seemed to start with.

We now need wheels, the stockers dont fit over the brakes.

Im assuming the stocker and the ra60 have the same pcd and similar offset, 4 x 114.3?

This is becoming hte never ending project.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 02 March 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt need to drill a new hole for the sway bar, but if you needed to thats fine, no problem
"the bloody adjustable sleeve bit " is called a tie rod, which adjust's your wheel alignment, its the right and only way to do it.
you need to extend the length of both of these section by spinning them the right way, but once your wheel alignement is straight the tie rods are only hanging on by a couple threads and they'll bend, you need longer tie rods, your ra60 ones might do the trick, they need to be about a inch longer than the t18 ones.
so get the old tie rods off, youll need vice grips. then clean threads of the tie rod ends, wack on some never seaze or something like that so you can now spin the tie rods with your hands and put the longer tie rods in, get the wheels as straight as you can, then take it to your local mechanic/tyre shop and get a wheel alignment done, ask for 1mm toe out, ive heard thats the best setup for teh dorifto.

also your going to want to adjust the castor, if you havent played with the castor rods yet your wheels are most likely rubbing the front of the guard.
you want to set it up with the most + castor you can. so just turn the wheels so the edge of the tyre is in line with the front edge of the guard and wind in all the castor you can before the tyre gets too close to the guard edge.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 08:35]

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Wed, 02 March 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We dont know if the wheels rub yet as we havent found any to fit as of yet. No way the stockers are going over the front brakes.

We had to adjust the caster rod to get the bolts for it into the lower control arm.

This wrecker must be really starting to like us. I think we should have just bought the whole bloody ra60 by now. Looks like we might need the rims from it too.
DazTX3
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sat, 05 March 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The front end is back together now. We didnt need to lengthen the tie rods, they adjusted fine with heaps of thread left.
daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 17 April 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Guys,

Nice to see a T18 being worked on Wink

it seems my 'brakes upgrade' page has the control arm/steering arm error on it... Wink

but the thing is, when I was doing the upgrade, and I went to the wreckers, thats what they called it, and I was in no position to argue with qualified mec.... i mean wreckers Wink

as soon as I remember/find the password to my fortunecity account, i will change the text under that picture.

and those T18 videos made me laugh hard... Wink

Regards
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T18 / TE72 Information. Sun, 17 April 2005 11:58 Go to previous message
Thanks for the comment,

As for updates, car is still coming along slowly. It hits the track next weekend. Still stock enginewise.

I will have picks from the event I reckon.

Ra60 springs do not work, in the middle of changing them back. We put a while into try to make them work and they didnt.

Not much else to report.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry Performance Upgrades
Next Topic:1996 toyota corolla seca
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 15:51:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010562896728516 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.