Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » JZA80 with 3sgte???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 01:48 Go to next message
The jap-GT's opted for a 3sgte in their JZA80's (before some switched to 1UZ), I think so they could run mor eboost under regulation.

What would a 3sgte JZA80 on the street perform like compared to one with a 2JZ?
It'd get serious whooped ay?
Wonder with the weight reduction what it would weigh? Anyone edumacated wanna take an approximate stab???????

Anyone by chance know some detailed specs on the JZA80's in the jap-GT's (3s and 1uz), as in what weight and power and engine mods (basic list as I am sure they wouldnt give out secrets)?
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 12:48

What would a 3sgte JZA80 on the street perform like compared to one with a 2JZ?
It'd get serious whooped ay??

Not if the 3S has 600hp and the 2J has 300hp.....
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously haha!
But I mean, like hmmm
same amount of copious dollars put towards either engine, you'd still get more out of a 2jz wouldnt u?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3L turbo vs 2L turbo... what do you think?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2JZ would be much nicer to drive on the street. With the same $'s spent, it will munch the 3S. That, and you didn't have to spend $ on the 3SGTE conversion in the first place.

You're right with the JGTC rules though, they were allowed to run more boost with the 3SGTE, which meant they could make the same overall power but with less weight and a better weight distribution.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe that top secret in japan did something along these lines not positive on it though, but it does ring a bell.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, Top Secret made a wide-body Supra modelled after the JGTC car.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^

and goddamn it was soooo tough Cool
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/Top%20Secret%20Supra/TSSupra7.jpg
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah the engine looks tiny in the supra bay.

some 3sgte tuners have made 900HP!!!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking at that pic shouldn't it b a GT-200 hence 2L rather then GT300 or is it 300kw ? that is y it is GT300 ? wats the deal ?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh.. I read somewhere that the Top Secret Supra was for sale...

US$110,000 or something around that..

Start saving!! Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh man
I just bleww my load in my pants
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately the 3S in that car above is not your standard run of the mill 3S. The block and head were manufactured by some company in the US and the head has completely different port designs, so the manifolds wont fit a Gen 1, 2 or 3 Confused
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's a huuuuuuge ass, but such a tiny engine! That photo makes it look smaller than a 4a or so, I'm entertained.

Also, I thought some guys were running the 4.3 litre V8 now? Or is that in a different group (I'm not really into it, just bits and pieces I've heard)
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 22:13

Unfortunately the 3S in that car above is not your standard run of the mill 3S. The block and head were manufactured by some company in the US and the head has completely different port designs, so the manifolds wont fit a Gen 1, 2 or 3 Confused

I'm pretty sure the block and head are genuine original Toyota.

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/gt300.shtml

The car also has 637Nm of torque at 7800rpm.

Interestingly, the car uses a 6 speed box. Very nice. Wish I could have one!

Gabe
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The JGTC Supras now run a 5 litre V8 loosely based on the 3UZ-FE. The JGTC regulations changed and it is now more advantageous to run a big atmo engine instead of a small turbo engine.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 01:48

The car also has 637Nm of torque at 7800rpm.

mmmmmm now thats tasty Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 01:18

Gabe

I was too.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 01:13

cool1 is teh c0rrect, this 3S is not a factory toyota item.
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Thu, 17 February 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 13:02

3L turbo vs 2L turbo... what do you think?

they will be going backwards eg...

GA 70 vs MA 70

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 05:11

Gabe

I was too.

Where did you get your information from then? This is the first out of all the articles about this car that someone had said this. For sure the race cars used custom blocks, but I didn't know this aftermarket one did.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 18:00

looking at that pic shouldn't it b a GT-200 hence 2L rather then GT300 or is it 300kw ? that is y it is GT300 ? wats the deal ?

Oh, and that I don't quite get, the Supras race in the GT500 category Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:05

Gabe

I was too.

Where did you get your information from then? This is the first out of all the articles about this car that someone had said this. For sure the race cars used custom blocks, but I didn't know this aftermarket one did.

There was a thread about this a few years ago on here. I think I posted the details of the company that makes the blocks and heads.
From memory I tried getting Jap Motorsport to find me an inlet manifold off one of these cars and then they found out the manifold would not fit the production engines. They supplied me with the info of the company and I then rang them. Or something like that.
But then what would I know. I dont even own a 3S apparently.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also what would make you think it is a factory engine? Do you think they would be winding out up to 900HP from an engine that has its ribs ground away on one side?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 08:16

justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:05

Gabe

I was too.

There was a thread about this a few years ago on here. I think I posted the details of the company that makes the blocks and heads.
From memory I tried getting Jap Motorsport to find me an inlet manifold off one of these cars and then they found out the manifold would not fit the production engines. They supplied me with the info of the company and I then rang them. Or something like that.
But then what would I know. I dont even own a 3S apparently.

I remember a thread saying the racing cars use a racing block, but this is the first I've seen of the Top Secret car. Are you sure you don't have the two confused.
When you say "the manifold off one of these cars", what do you mean "these cars?". There IS only one of them, it's NOT one of the race cars, its a road-going replica.
What was the point of the 3S comment? Just because I own a 1G, doesn't mean I profess to know all about them Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What would make me think it is a factory engine, is everything I've read about THIS PARTICULAR car says it was. It only makes 720PS too.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car is a copy of the race car yeah? Well I would be confident in saying it would use the same engine.
And the comment about the 3S was because I DO own one and I KNOW that the 3S-GTEs have the ribs ground away on the inlet side of the block.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it's not actually a race car, it's just a sort-of copy. I still don't know how you can assume that link that they use the racing block.
This particular bit isn't having a go, but what do you mean about grinding the ribs away on the block? Is this a standard 3S thing, or something the race cars have or what?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you check Top Secret's website:

They make no reference to using a racing block, they have modified the engine to make it actually 2.2l, and use a different turbo to the race cars.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GTEs have some of the ribs on the block ground away to allow fitment of the transfer case. Grinding away the ribs on an engine block is a sure way of removing some of its strength.
See the top section of this page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S-GTE.RWD.EMC G/
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:30

They make no reference to using a racing block, they have modified the engine to make it actually 2.2l, and use a different turbo to the race cars.

Your right it doesnt say anything about using a race block. But it also doesnt say its a factory engine out of x car.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:35

Your right it doesnt say anything about using a race block. But it also doesnt say its a factory engine out of x car.

I think that's a stupid assumption.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is true, suppose there is only one way to find that out, time to do some research Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although I would've thought that'd be a fairly important modification, it would be highly likely the block would cost more than most of those mods.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:37

Cool1 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:35

I think that's a stupid assumption.

Maybe to you.
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Sat, 19 February 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
transfer case? so specifically youre talking about engine's from 4wd celica's? what about sw20 motors? in any case i've seen quite a few articles on various japanese cars running 3s's that make over 700 hp using the production block, ive read mention that bore flex becomes an issue past this point. although its not clear in those photo's, the race version of the 3s has an extra water inlet/oulet that runs the lenght of the exhaust side of the head which i have not noted seeing in any of the pictures ive seen of the top secret gt300 supra. also the cam covers on the engine in the top secret car look production to me.

thats just what i can infer from looking at the fotos. and thats about as close as im going to get.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Sat, 19 February 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the MR2 still has the rib ground away to allow the box to sit on the back of the block for the passenger side drive shaft.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: JZA80 with 3sgte??? Sun, 20 February 2005 02:19 Go to previous message
The MR2 3S does have the rib removed that is removed on the GT4. There is no good reson for this and I am assuming thatt he block is actually cast this way as it does seem to have more metal in that area in general.

The engine used by the actual racers that were "JZA80's with 3S-GTE's" was the 503e. This is the race engine origonally designed for lemans etc and used in canam and a lot of other racing by Toyota. The 503e is what the 3S is based on but the parts are not interchangable.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:235/50/18 Tyres - Toyo or Kumho?
Next Topic:a helping hand for all young drivers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:33:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074479579925537 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.