Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Thu, 17 February 2005 23:53 Go to next message
Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ?

I'm thinking of buying a boat with one, and apparently it needs a new carby and one of the pots has no compression (the rest are fine).
The spark plug is wet with petrol.

Does this mean that the valves are gone - would it need a new head or just the valve & seals replaced?

Should i get another ford carby from pickies or get a 350 holley? If i got a holley, would i have to tune it?

cheers boys, let me know what i'm in for...
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Thu, 17 February 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v8ma61 spooges all over them..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Thu, 17 February 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrishulbert wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:53

Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ?

I'm thinking of buying a boat with one, and apparently it needs a new carby and one of the pots has no compression (the rest are fine).
The spark plug is wet with petrol.

Does this mean that the valves are gone - would it need a new head or just the valve & seals replaced?

Should i get another ford carby from pickies or get a 350 holley? If i got a holley, would i have to tune it?

cheers boys, let me know what i'm in for...

it may need new rings. it sounds like rebuild time.
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its just been recoed 2 years ago, and all the other pistons all had exactly 160psi which sounds good. So i'm guessing the rings should be fine, which is what the mechanic guy guessed as well, given that the plug was petrol-soaked instead of oil-soaked.

Am i on the money?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 09:56

v8ma61 spooges all over them..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i have their babies Very Happy

how hot/ standard is the motor? a 350 is good for most standard windsors, but if its had cam/ other work done something more along the lines of a 500 might be better? Im using a 750 holley, but thats a pretty different 302 i have Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 00:20]

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say the engine is pretty standard, so a 350 holley would be fine. But if i bought one, would i need an adaptor or something, or would it bolt right up? Would i need to tune it, or do they come tuned for the standard engine?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrishulbert wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:28

I'd say the engine is pretty standard, so a 350 holley would be fine. But if i bought one, would i need an adaptor or something, or would it bolt right up? Would i need to tune it, or do they come tuned for the standard engine?

it should work fine, as that was what was standard with the 302s from factory. On that note, its never a bad idea to tune a motor when you replace something such as a carby Smile
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So are you saying 350 holleys are what came standard with a 302 from factory?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for that motor in a boat i would be using a 600cfm double pump spread bore, keep away from the square bore holleys if you can they will give you nothing but greif on a boat, it must be a double pump to work well on a boat

boats are a different beast to a car, a 350cfm on a small block in a boat wouldnt pull me out of the water,
a 650 will rip my arms off,

i have converted my ski boat to injection using one of my throttle bodies and a microtech LTX8s, it was around 600cfm to start with and it wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, i put it in the mill and took a few mm out of it to make the chokes .5mm bigger than a 650 holley and it will now rip your arms off,

ill get some pics of it for you,
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are the pics of my setup, excuse the dodgy fuel rail, half way through making a nice stainless one now

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/boat/boat1.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/boat/boat2.jpg

these are the throttle bodies i use, they are 600cfm but can bore the chokes to what ever size you require, cheap at $495 with the TPS

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/boat/throttle1.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/boat/throttle2.jpg

Dale
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrishulbert wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 08:37

So are you saying 350 holleys are what came standard with a 302 from factory?

I would have thought they had some sort of carter?

10sec_rx7: what would be wrong with using a double pumper squarebore? spreadbore holleys were only designed as bolt on replacements for cars with spreadbore carbs standard, i fail to see any performance advantage only disadvantage with using a spreadbore.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 18 February 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the spread bore a just more reliable, i went through 4 different square bore double pumps (including a 4777 holley performance carb) on the boat and not one worked properly, we had them rebuilt by carb experts, all the jetting was right, fuel pressure was right, they just didnt like being smashed around over waves and turning corners, had a spread bore 600 on it to start with and it was great, never missed a beat but it basically fell apart from old age, i got jack of it and did the injection!

you have to remember a boat is a different beast, there is no rest for the engine, it is under load from the moment it is in gear till the moment you stop,

just going on my exprince with carbs and boats that i have been messing with for the last 5 years, my old man would never have a carb on a boat ever again after we put the injection on it,

no doubt you went and brought one of the holley square bore marine carbs you wouldnt have any problems but at aroun $800 they can jam that!

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 08:17]

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Sat, 19 February 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay i'm really intrigued with how you did your fuel injected setup! That looks awesome! Thanks for the photos too Very Happy

So does it really give you *that* much more power? Does the economy improve too?

So tell me what's involved, because thats a conversion i wouldn't mind doing.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Sat, 19 February 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you would be suprised how much better all round performance the boat has now,
not too hard to do, just fit 8 injector mounts, fit fuel pump, make a fuel rail (even a dodgy one like mine) bolt on throttle body, wire and tune ecu and your done

i see you are in castle hill, so am i,

you can pop around and have a look if you like

Dale
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Sun, 20 February 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn... the boat i was going to buy got sold. Missed out - oh well it doesn't matter now.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Sun, 20 February 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugger!!

there will be plenty more out there!

Dale
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Fri, 11 March 2005 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger - missed out on sharing info!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Mon, 14 March 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude the motor in that pic looks like a 350 chev....or 308 holden

edit: see the head design with the twin sets of intake ports? Thats CHEV. Ford have 4 seperate ones evenly spaced out over the head.

also see how the middle two exhaust ports are together and the two outer ones further apart? Once again, ford are evenly spaced out.

How old is the motor?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2005 00:17]

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Mon, 14 March 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay boys, its not too late. I ended up buying another boat. This time its got a ford 351 cleveland. Its a beaast.
But yeah, just gotta tidy it up a bit.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Mon, 14 March 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrishulbert wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 10:29

Okay boys, its not too late. I ended up buying another boat. This time its got a ford 351 cleveland. Its a beaast.
But yeah, just gotta tidy it up a bit.

glad to see u picked a decent motor...shame thats not a 351` windsor...easy 400 stroker job Wink
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ? Mon, 14 March 2005 00:48 Go to previous message
Yeah but mine's got 4V heads, and a massive holley Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring
Next Topic:1JZ Wiring Diagram
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:53:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14031887054443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.