Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 10:43 Go to next message
Hi all,

Just a quick question... and JCMF, I know your answer already, how do you all manage to afford the gear you buy?

I guess this is directed more towards the bigger spenders, and i'm just interested in how you can afford big $ items.

I am trying to decide how I am going to go about my next few forced upgrades.
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not that my car is THAT expensive but I am a trainee accountant and I live at home until the end of the year when I finish uni. Other than that, save your arse off and know that most of the money you are spending will not be recouped but you will have much enjoyment with the finished product if done correctly.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm living out of home, with a few mates, working at an ISP.

I need to not spend money on crap Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
minimise expenses!

plus, I saved for about 4 months, hence me suddenly being able to splurge $10k on getting my baby on the road!

it's all about prioritizing - and the love of my life comes first
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As of about a month from now i'll be saving a fair bit a month.. $150 more a month.

Trying to lower payments of other crap as much as possible, not making phone calls or sms-ing too much... sometimes never. Not driving the car, since it's not running atm. I should see what i'm spending money on atm and work out how to not spend money on it Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shrugs*
we all have differernt incomes, and more importantly different disposable incomes.
just gotta match your aims to it.

I do not recommend trying what I just did, unless you love your car like a newborn.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i saved for like a year and a half, all my money to do my soarer the way it is now while working at sizzler for 350 a week for 40 hrs
now that i cant be fucked modding any more i can make up to 3500ish a week, go figure.
i also live at home and have dick all expenses

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 11:24]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just had a rough look at my budget.... hmmm

"boss, i neeeed a pay rise!"

Once i cut out the internet payments (free from my work in a month), not paying car rego etc (since i wont be driving it for a while) and all that crap, i should be better off I Think.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jag. i hate you.

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a home loan - banks start throwing money at you when your arse is 90% owned.

even tho you pay more money in interest/debt reduction at least you don't have to resort to living off potatoes and 2-minute noodles.

is a stupid thing to do financially - but after years of doing it rough at uni i'm over eating/living in shit.

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, with the 3 of us living here, all of us paying about $180 a week we practically live like kings. We eat great home cooked meals, take great food to work, have coke, beer, chocolate, whatever, pay for electricity and phone, and still can see the bank balance increasing (shared account).

We figure we can lower the payments a bit now, since we're gaining money so fast.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 13:13]

Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FUCKIN APPRENTICE WAGES

/end rant
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to listen to "Kevin Bloody Wilson - The Apprentice"

It'll make you laugh about your misfortune Smile
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 22:23

now that i cant be fucked modding any more i can make up to 3500ish a week, go figure.

... but I still find that even around that level of income that it's easy to blow $$$ on mods ... just over last weekend:

New alloys - $500
New aircon + installation + gassing - $950
Rego - $550
Hella H4 replacement headlight housings - $128
Option DVD - $40

That's almost 2/3 of the monthly disposable income (after withholding) for other things ... damn you 20% off sale at Autobarn! Evil or Very Mad Sad

At least both my cars are almost finished so modding expenditure will be WAY down from previous years ... Rolling Eyes

Fitting new alloys onto the MX5 tomorrow ... more $$$ gone ... Embarassed

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 23:11]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 21:53

Doing what for how many hours per week ?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 23:34]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hear girls at strip clubs can earn that sorta money.

bbaacchhyy, you afford some cool stuff, does holdens pay THAT well?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:33

around 40-50?
i dunno.. i choose my own hours, so i just work whenever i feel like it
edit: im a contract 3d car artist for games and work from home

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 23:53]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Cars + Moneys Thu, 17 February 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:15

around 40-50?

Assuming that it is before tax, and assuming 50 hours per week, you are being paid $70/hour.

That is way more than me, so again I ask, what do you do ?

Hydra, Yes they do, and overtime as well. They don't call it Generous Motors Holden for nothing. Most engineering jobs don't pay as well as the car industry.

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok.

I finish my probation period soon (3 months worth of it!!) which opens up opportunity for saving money (on internet) and getting money (if they think i'm worth more! Razz)

I wish I got more overtime... I get maybe an extra 7 hours every so often, which usually yields an extra $150 - $250
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sell drugs.. your body...

oh yeah they call them CRIME sheets not time sheets.

but really doesnt matter how much you earn you end up spending it on something.. nights at the pub get more expensive.... more shit up yer nose etc..

it's never ending... only solution is minimise what you spend and work a bit harder/more.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or just minimise what you spend $$$ on.. if you get paid 12$ an hour you really should even bother having a car work more than a couple of grand.

all my shitters have been quick but I hardly have flooded em with money. now I can afford things(finished apprentiship) I still need to work out what is worth spending money on. ie I have my bike and 1g corona. I have a company car(commo) which I can drive whenever I want and any time I'm not driving that I ride my bike, so my car is wasted... so it's time to sell it and pay off the credit cards etc and minimise what I'm spending on so i can afford the next toy.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't piss it up the wall and don't do drugs. Buy things like food in bulk amounts if you can and discipline yourself. Works for me.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:05

Don't piss it up the wall and don't do drugs. Buy things like food in bulk amounts if you can and discipline yourself. Works for me.

aww but those things are fun Smiley =

I blew 6 months salary on boose food and drugs... had a good time but I kinda think maybe I should have actually bought something... my 1g coulda been pretty fast with that sort of money spent on it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha

If I was still living at home i'd save a whole heap more thats for sure... living out of home costs me a dickload more than anything else.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:54

Jag7799 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 10:15

around 40-50?

Assuming that it is before tax, and assuming 50 hours per week, you are being paid $70/hour.

That is way more than me, so again I ask, what do you do ?

Hydra, Yes they do, and overtime as well. They don't call it Generous Motors Holden for nothing. Most engineering jobs don't pay as well as the car industry.

edit: im a contract 3d car artist for games and work from home
and yes, thats before tax. as I have my own ABN i just pay tax at the end of the tax year and therefor dont know how much of that is taken by tax atm.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah dont end up like my mate who was contracting and ended up with a 26,000$ tax bill and at that time he was unemployed and had about $500 to his name Smiley =
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:16

hah dont end up like my mate who was contracting and ended up with a 26,000$ tax bill and at that time he was unemployed and had about $500 to his name Smiley =

im saving money for tax out of every pay
dont wanna be in that situation
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:09

AE86slut wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:05

aww but those things are fun Smiley =

I blew 6 months salary on boose food and drugs... had a good time but I kinda think maybe I should have actually bought something... my 1g coulda been pretty fast with that sort of money spent on it.

Don't get me wrong, you have to do all those things and get them out of your system. There are times when I certainly miss getting whacked on one thing or another, but then I take my car for a drive Very Happy

IMO it's better to sacrifice for a while and actually achieve something/have something to show for your spending apart from a headache or a massif come-down. You'll get a sense of satisfaction and would have achieved a goal.

As for living at home, do it for as long as you goddam can.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jag I'd be saving a bit your tax bill could be as large as 50 K maybe more if you earn 3.5k per week thats 182K per annum.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to earn like $1200 a week and live at home but the stress caused me to drink alot and smoke a fuck load of weed so i quit and got a low stress and lower paying job $400 a week.
It's better but if i need money i get a long term loan and pay it off asap.
I just can't save money.
and i spend like $15 a day on nothing everyday.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VERDICT = LIVE AT HOME

oh and say thankyou to you mum for dinner and washing etc.

once you move out it sucks Sad
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:21

VERDICT = LIVE AT HOME

oh and say thankyou to you mum for dinner and washing etc.

once you move out it sucks Sad

Hell yeah..... That's when you invest in a missus. Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:19

jag I'd be saving a bit your tax bill could be as large as 50 K maybe more if you earn 3.5k per week thats 182K per annum.

i dont earn that every week
it all depends how much i work, sometimes im really in tune and earn that. some weeks im lazy as and stuff around and dont do much all week and get paid like 1500
i get paid on a per car basis, so if i dont finish a car, i dont get paid etc
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I earn too much and have no costs other than the mortgage...

But I don't do so many of the mods, more just repairs Razz
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

hah misses.. they arent as good as mums..

unless you get an ugly one Smiley =
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
I pay a mortgage,.. and eventually I will be able to go out and spend some real $$ on cars,.

But for now, it's all tied up in property.

Priorities Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 11:23

hah misses.. they arent as good as mums..

w3rd.... They can never make a bolognese as good as mama. Mine's pretty good though. Makes me feel so guilty I actually get up of my arse and end up doing housework too! And she's hot! Laughing
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i saved up a shitload of money, took out a personal loan and then i had to resort to taking all the money out of a trust fund. f*ck im dumb
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It doesn't seem as much if you spread it over a LONG period of time, Project Decade I've had for the better part of 30 months No No No

Saved up some money, thats how I bought the initial things like my seats (which I'm selling Laughing ) and my engine/gearbox package.

I live at home, so *try* not to have huge expenses, although I use lots of fuel cos I drive a decent amount each week. GF can become costly around b'days and shit though Wink

The last big chunks came in the form of interest free loans from my mums boyfriend. Motivation for him was that I might get my damn car out of his workshop, and I had to spend a week or two working with him doing plasterboard stuff...something that shits me to tears.

So thats where I'm up to now Very Happy
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
somehting to think about

if you spend $100 a weekend drinking thats $5200 over a year after tax money!

what if get pretty tanked on reasonably priced drinks at home from a bottle shop and then go out?

saves heaps of money

imagine what $5000 extra a year could get you on you car
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Cars + Moneys Fri, 18 February 2005 20:53 Go to previous message
Talking about jobs, does anyone know where an overweight 43 year old bloke with a rooted back can get one? I have all sorts of skills, I just can't carry anything heavy. No one seems to wanna employ someone like me.

Cheers, Greg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aircon help ST190 Corona
Next Topic:AE86/Brakes related???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 05:04:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091609954833984 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.