Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:25 Go to next message
It's my hypothesis that Electronic throttles (not cable-operated) lick the balls of a large, sweaty dog. . . No feel, no consistancy, no benefit to the driver, laggy responses from the engine.

Anyone disagree?

(I also feel that traction control and electronic stability management lick the balls of a dead, rotting African Elephant)
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Liberty has a fly-by-wire throttle.

There is a distinct lack of feel, but the whole car is like that so I don't know if it's an actual issue with the fly-by-wire or not.

The benefit is that I can step on the Go pedal and not have the engine flood. The computer manages the correct amount to open the throttle so that the engine doesn't flood.
Yes, a real driver wouldn't need that, but it's nice not needing to worry about it when you've got the car balanced right on the knife edge.

And, yes, it does make it possible that have much smarter traction control and vehicle stability control.

[Edit: Spelling]

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:50]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the Liberty's e.c.u. keep "moving the goalposts" on throttle response? All the cars I've driven with eleccy throttles change how much "real throttle" you get for a given input, depending on revs, load etc.. - Really mushy and unresponsive at rest with teh clutch in, need BIG stabs to heel/toe etc.

-uber frustrating.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope. Not that I've noticed at least. Feels like a normal throttle, except when you step on it, it doesn't stutter, it just goes. Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My TDI Navara has electronic throttle. It is really weird cause you push the pedal down to about the 2/3rd mark then there is no increase in engine pick up in the final 1/3. One thing I have found driving diesels is i always heve the pedal mashed to the floor. Now with the Navara I dont do this cause as above there is no more power after 2/3 depression. So AFAIK Nissan is trying to pull some sort of phscological trick on me, trying to persuade me the car has more power than it actual does Confused Shocked
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 15:47

One thing I have found driving diesels is i always heve the pedal mashed to the floor.

hmm interesting

whats the reasoning behind this?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because in your words rob they are teh massif slow p00.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, and here i was trying to get some tips for when im driving my old mans 84 patrol turBRO diesel.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are a big PITA when fitting dual controls Confused
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 13:07

lol, and here i was trying to get some tips for when im driving my old mans 84 patrol turBRO diesel.

Well my tip to you is hop in the car and pull the throttle lock all the way out. Don't worry about it when changing gears, the car will probably only do 100km/h flat stick and take so long to get there that you wont have to worry about speed limits too. Just ignore the looks at the traffic lights, and if anyone asks you why its revving its titahs off tell them it has a dodgy electronic throttle cause leigh matthews keeps "moving the goalposts".
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhahaa

we've g-teched it at 22 second 0-100 AND 22 second quarter mile

excellent parts chaser/tow car tho.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We need to ask ourselves in this and many other subjects...

Exactly what is normal? If something is new it may be strange but it may be better. It all depends on what we want from what we've changed.

It would feel strange though I imagine but there has to be an advantage other than driver assistance technology improvement.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 16:39

i'll agree to that
Razz
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 19:38

We need to ask ourselves in this and many other subjects...

Exactly what is normal? If something is new it may be strange but it may be better. It all depends on what we want from what we've changed.

It would feel strange though I imagine but there has to be an advantage other than driver assistance technology improvement.

Like I said before, my 2 main beefs:

- No feel from the pedal to indicate how far it's in, or whether it's moving slightly - Just can't beat the slight "stiction" of a good cable for holding a cruising speed.

- You're at the mercy of the emissions engineers who calibrate the ecu. They determine how laggy the engine response is, how quickly it drops revs between gearshifts, how the throttle is mapped to teh accelerator pedal etc. etc.

The guys doing all this are aiming squarely at lowering emissions and fuel consumption, so we (the driver) come second. If you drive a cable car back-to-back with a 'leccy throttled one, the differences in the latter should be glaringly obvious, and not for the better (imho). Try a last-model Astra manual, and see what you think of the 1/2 second delay in engine response. Sad
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hhahaa

Yes the fag wagon got you and your fellow queens of the campbelltown down here didnt it Razz hehehhe
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 22:48

hhahaa

Yes the fag wagon got you and your fellow queens of the campbelltown down here didnt it Razz hehehhe

GOLD!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 22:48

hhahaa

dont forget you were that excited to see us you had your footlong ready, not to mention you saying and i quote "better get your camera ready"

Laughing
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Fri, 18 February 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what would be the deal with playing with aftermarket ecu's and turboing these engines? Wife has a xtrail FBW and the engine being traverse has a big hole in betweeen the rad and ex manifold screaming for one. Could this be why I haven't found a kit yet?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive also heard about electronic steering. cant imagine that Confused Confused
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aren't these technologies used in f1?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 12:11

Hardly the same thing.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 12:17

xolent wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 12:11

Hardly the same thing.

electro-hydraulic clutch and gearshift, 'leccy throttle. - They're setup at the whim of the driver to feel and respond EXACTLY how he wants them to.

What Shraka said Cool
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those things are used in BA falcons as well....... At least I know it's in the ute that has that electronic diff locker.
SprinterTRD
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason Drive By Wire (DBW) seem strange to drive is that the engines are controlled by how much torque the engine makes at any given RPM point. At some points on a engine map, maximum torque is achieved way before the throttle gets to wide open. In some cases an engine may loose torque if the throttle is opend too far due to loss of air speed. With DBW you also do away with the Idle up motor so cost comes into the equation as well.

It is also far simpler to achieve correct emmissions if you take the human lead foor factor out of the equation.

Now in a race application the same applies as above but now the engineers can to cool things like throttle blipping on gear shifts ,traction control.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sat, 19 February 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 11:39

ive also heard about electronic steering. cant imagine that Confused Confused

I've driven one of those too! It was on the Prius.

Nicely weighted, good feedback. No torque steer. I was very impressed (especially since I'd just hopped out of an Accord Euro which was torque steer central)
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Electronic throttles - discuss: Sun, 20 February 2005 08:28 Go to previous message
C.R.E.E.P.Y. ROCKING UP TO THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS IN SILENCE ! ! !

Lights go green - Prius moves off in silence again. Put the foot down and it kicks the engine in the guts to help out.

Weird.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT
Next Topic:Old Pac Video @ Nite
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 20:05:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058050155639648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.