Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mcostalos
Regular

February 2005

HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Fri, 18 February 2005 10:13 Go to next message
I need help as you can see...

Some people are saying, go get a G-Series rear end and get that cut and welded in. Others are saying, get an F-Series, that's 25kgs lighter and just as strong. Then others are saying i should just buy a TRD Diff Centre and put that in my T-Series setup.

I found out it's going to cost me around $1000US to get a TRD Diff Centre over here to my door that is Second hand. I don't know what to do, but i need a solution asap.

Thanks,
Michael
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Fri, 18 February 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mcostalos wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 20:13

I need help as you can see...

Some people are saying, go get a G-Series rear end and get that cut and welded in. Others are saying, get an F-Series, that's 25kgs lighter and just as strong. Then others are saying i should just buy a TRD Diff Centre and put that in my T-Series setup.

I found out it's going to cost me around $1000US to get a TRD Diff Centre over here to my door that is Second hand. I don't know what to do, but i need a solution asap.

Thanks,
Michael

do a g series diff swap out of a hilux. Much stronger than an F series. Axle size is much bigger and there are more centres and ratios also available. Easier to get your hands on g series parts too.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Fri, 18 February 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few pros and cons with each.

Assuming you are putting this in a celica...

If you are looking at an engine conversion with some power behind it you should really ditch the T series all together, especially if you are putting an LSD in there. The axels aren't all that big at all.

An F series is a decent choice. It'll provide decent strength, but you'll probably need to get it shortened or find some wheels with a different offset as none of the ones I have come across are a similar size to a celica T series. That or flare out your car or any other mod that will accept a wider diff.

A G series is stronger again, though it will also add more unsprung weight to your car. As it has been said lots of LSD ratios available, and some of the hilux housings are almost exact length of the celica. You will need to do something about your wheel studs either on the front or the back as the hilux G series are a 5 stud.

Between the F and G series there is still a bit of mucking around to get them to fit. If you are just after a daily driver with a bit of power to boot the G series would be good. You don't really need to do much other than weld on the old mountings and fix up the stud problem.

If you want something to be a bit more serious in the handling department then the F series would be a good bet. Less unsprung weight is always a good thing, though I'd imagine you will have to spend a bit more getting it shortened etc...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Fri, 18 February 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F series disc rear end are getting more and more hard to come by not to mention....

Just be careful with the hilux diffs - the 4wd ones are 6 stud Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 11:45]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Fri, 18 February 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for a hot N/A 18R-G its a bit of a conundrum

T will be ok but expensive
F will be perfect but rare
G will be hella overkill
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Sat, 19 February 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see why a T series will be expensive, after all you only need a diff centre, and I'm sure you can get one for less than US$1k! You can get the F series torsens for AU$800, so surely a T series can be had for a similar price (as long as it doesn't have a TRD sticker on it).

Keeping the T series rear end means no mucking around with suspension mounts, no need to shorten anything, wheels fit correctly etc. IMO strength is adequate for an atmo 2 litre, and drums are nothing to worry about for a street-driven car.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Sat, 19 February 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt a 'sprinter' full sick lsd work for him?
mcostalos
Regular

February 2005

Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Sat, 19 February 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I think T-Series is the way to go. My Celica puts 106kw to the rear wheels, about 140bhp, so if I use my Centre, buy a TRD LSD (Ok Costly, but Efficient), what about ring/pinion. If i do this, i want a gear ratio of 4.3:1 or better, not the 4.1:1/3.9:1 I have. Can i buy this new, or find one to fit anywhere? Anyone have a rack/pinion for sale?

Thanks so much for your help!
Michael
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Sat, 19 February 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a TruTrac T series LSD in my sprinter..just rebuilt with T29 4.1 gears from an RA40 (i did have T28 4.3 ones..but i minced them together)..a mate of mine has a TRD N2 'big axle' mechanicle 2 way center..that was awsome..till he got shoved into a wall and bent an axle..'big axles' are very hard to find!! so he has gone back to the 'small axle' the difference is about .9mm thickness..the small axle is equivilant to the aussi T-18 and RA40 Celica axles..honestly i cant break axles..belive me..my tricked up 250hp 4AGZE will put down a shit load more torque than the 18R-G..and i have only just gone through my first crownwheel and pinion! if you can go to the wreckers and find a car that came with a T-282..these have 4.3 gears..so pull the centre out.and get either put that straight into your celica, or if you have new bearings and seals in yours..put the 4.3 gears (crownwheel, pinion) into your half built centre, and ask the diff place to lap it a little closer (reducing backlash) and putting the teeth in a more meaty part of the metal..for the sake of a few axles, and a crownwheel or 2, i think you shoudl keep the T series..
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Sun, 20 February 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so will a ae86 lsd centre drop into a ra28 housing (its t series) ?

i want lsd now but will look to a g / f series later in the build (read 2-3 years).

are the ra28 axles stronger than ta22 just because ive been told 22 axles snap easy as?

cheers

Nathan
mcostalos
Regular

February 2005

Re: HELP! G-Series/F-Series/TRD LSD T-Series centre? Fri, 25 February 2005 13:13 Go to previous message
Done all this re-search. The cheapest prices i can get stuff to my door.

TRD LSD - $950
4.77:1 Gear Ratio - $600

That's $1550 + install for a diff centre. Definately going a G-Series with those prices!

Michael
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ae86 Wheel problems
Next Topic:2TG (NA) cam specs vs 3T-GTEU and head cc's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 12:31:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059330463409424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.