Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 07:59 Go to next message
Good move toyota! just make sure it's comparably fast with falcodores and i think we have a winner!

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id= 9278&vf=2&bg=1&pp=1
  Send a private message to this user    
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...electronic driver indentification system?? WTF?

does this mean daddy gets to drive the 170kw+ version, and when little johnny gets behind the wheel it downtunes to a more sedate p/w ratio??
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2005/02/18/18what_leadimage.jpg

yeah baby... 180+ kW... Shame they ain't turboing the 6 cylinder version...
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the idea that Toyota is trying to "Attract younger drivers", maybe we are going back to Toyota's good ol' haydays of the past. Honestly though, Toyota dont need to make any new kool cars, they already exist, Toyota just fails to import them for sale Rolling Eyes
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 21:16

Toyota dont need to make any new kool cars, they already exist, Toyota just fails to import them for sale Rolling Eyes

Best. Call. Ever.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from article:

"We won't just copy the other guys; we will do it in a Toyota way," says the insider. "We probably won't have the fastest car ... but we will find a package, a presentation, a look, that is appropriate for our customers and our sorts of product.

"We won't be copying everyone else, we will be trying to do it in our way because that's our core strength and I don't think we want to get too far away from that."

That to me, says "expect more of the same slow, soft crap we've been slapping a sportivo badge on for the last few years. Toyota will not be making a genuinely fast car anytime soon."

-The giveaway is saying that they don't want to get too far away from their core strength.

Looks like we've gotta start saving up for the Toyota "F1 Commemerative" Supercar that's been spied lapping the nurburgring if we want a quick NEW Toyota.
AlexT
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Read the article again carefully.

The only statement about a car that might actually be produced is this one:

Quote:

According to Drive sources, Toyota will kick-start the program with a turbocharged version of the new four-cylinder Camry that will be released in early 2006.

The power figures, the AWD system, the electronic driver identification and the speed limiter are all features of a concept car.

Also it looks as though this is a case of Toyota Australia modifying the cars when they arrive here, similar to the turbo Corolla of a few years ago, rather than an initiative by Toyota Japan. Does anyone else read it this way?

And the author ought to be beaten about the head with a dictionary until he understands what a paradox is.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just make the avalon rwd and put the UZ in it. Too easy.
You wont get the bogans buying them tho which will be good, because 4.3 litre V8 couldnt possibly be faster then a 5.7 could it?! lol
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just bring in Chasers and Tourers... Evil or Very Mad
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I so wish this is true Very Happy I've been waiting for a long time to see something like this happen
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Toyota Australia are a bunch of wankers, but they are doing well enough with the tried and true line up of white good cars that it's likely they ain't gonna bring anything decent to the performace car stable.

Then on the other hand Toyota must surely see they have a big gaping hole in the performance car segment. What ticks me off is that when they do finally get around to making a fast car, it will probably come under lexus, and keep the toyota brand for the whitegood cars. I hope they pull there head out and make the right decisions.

They have finished with the toyota celica, toyota MR2, and toyota Supra so they better have worthy replacements. (and FFS bring the supra back)
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cardigan car
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AlexT wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 22:17

"Also it looks as though this is a case of Toyota Australia modifying the cars when they arrive here... rather than an initiative by Toyota Japan. Does anyone else read it this way?"

Quote:

Uprating imported vehicles and creating concept cars will also be part of the new division's brief.

Quote:

"The concept is now approved at a board level and is under way," says a Toyota insider. "Considerable resources have been allocated to it and that will ramp up through this year and really take effect throughout the Camry and Avalon replacement timeframes.

It does look as though the cars will be modified once they get here for the Australian market but the good thing is that this concept has been approved at board level and "considerable resources" have been allocated to the concept of making more performance orientated cars. We might not be able to get the cars that Toyota fails to import here but this is definitely a step in the right direction for all those who want them (everyone on this forum Very Happy )
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Fri, 18 February 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The latest camry, especially the sportivo is fugly.

so what are we talking;

2AZ-GET? / 2.4ltire 4cyl. 180kw flywheel.

What turbo?
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh wow 180kw in a camry, my question is why??
You can't make a decent preformance car out of a camry.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are Toyota Australia thinking exactly.

Falcons and Commodores arent sport cars period. Theyve been dressed up as that because theyre Australias most powerful cars. Why try and follow down a pointless path of turning a family caravan tower into an attempted sports car?

Toyota have been making fugly cars lately but there ARE still a handfull of pearls in production in japan. All they need to do is Import them!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I agree it would be nice, why would they bother? Have a look at Toyota's sales figures in this country, they're making bucketloads of cash with their current "boring" strategy. The performance car market isn't big enough in Australia, they'll make bugger-all money importing expensive performance cars and may even lose money. This is exactly why they stopped importing Supras after the Mk3, no-one was buying the damn things.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 13:34

While I agree it would be nice, why would they bother? Have a look at Toyota's sales figures in this country, they're making bucketloads of cash with their current "boring" strategy. The performance car market isn't big enough in Australia, they'll make bugger-all money importing expensive performance cars and may even lose money. This is exactly why they stopped importing Supras after the Mk3, no-one was buying the damn things.

back then, not every man and his dog wanted a performance japanese car though, look at it now
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 13:55

back then, not every man and his dog wanted a performance japanese car though, look at it now

But half the reason the japanese imports are growing in popularity is there relatively cheap price compared to cars that were sold in australia. I agree with Norbie unfortunately, that Australia simply doesn't have a large enough market for performance cars.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 14:04

But half the reason the japanese imports are growing in popularity is there relatively cheap price compared to cars that were sold in australia. I agree with Norbie unfortunately, that Australia simply doesn't have a large enough market for performance cars.

so wouldnt that be more of a reason just to release chasers here?
no costs in developing a new car!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 14:13

Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 14:04

A small hurdle known as "ADR's" to get over - There's crash and emission testing to do, coz Australia goes "Euro 3" emissions compliant as of july 2006, which is an absolute bitch to get certified on. As an example, some Euro-3 cars make 85% of their "dirty" gasses in the first 40 seconds of a 90 minute trip. Think about how clean that means they have to run once the catalytic converter is hot!

-Still cheap compared to building a new car tho - a good idea if you can find the sales ! !
OPPY
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm.. might have to ask a freind of mine thats working on the new camry project in japan what the go with it is... Mind you he is in the paint dept.. but he has seen clay models etc, and he thinks the car will look sensational (he owns a couple of MR2's) and has said that "the car has a non-slab sided look like the current car, continues the family front, and has a more euro roofline" He loves it.
If it is acually released here... looks like I have found my new family car Wink
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a turbo AWD Camry will be alright, now they need a supercharger option for the V6. (both in manual and automatic). they need something like this

also make the Avalion a rear wheel drive, have a V8 option avaliable as well as V6 and Supercharged V6 (all avaliable in manual and automatic). Turn the Avalon into "the BIG FAMILY CAR!" It's the only way I see too compete with the big family rear wheel drive Falcodores. beat them at there own game.

my two cents
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 20:16

Honestly though, Toyota dont need to make any new kool cars, they already exist, Toyota just fails to import them for sale Rolling Eyes

True Laughing

Cheers
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But they still look like fridges Mad

If Toyota had built a more attractive but fwd/underpowered sedan that looked a bit like a Chaser etc in the first place, then applied the 4wd/turbo it would be a bit more credible Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 10:34]

Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the Magna has a 4WD option now so I can't see why the Camry can't.

Cheers
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Initial_D wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 21:36

Well the Magna has a 4WD option now so I can't see why the Camry can't.

Cheers

thats right instead of importing some rear wheel drive racer from overseas, we now have a car to compete against other family AWD's, It's a good move in my book.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 10:41]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 13:13

Retail price would be something like $100k for a Chaser. Who would buy it? No-one, and Toyota knows it.

The only reason imports are successful is because they're ludicrously cheap compared to their real value. TT Supra's are all over the place because you can get them for $35k, but how popular would they be if they cost $90k?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 22:43

Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 13:13

Retail price would be something like $100k for a Chaser. Who would buy it? No-one, and Toyota knows it.

The only reason imports are successful is because they're ludicrously cheap compared to their real value. TT Supra's are all over the place because you can get them for $35k, but how popular would they be if they cost $90k?

oh they'd be popular. just know one would by them. Razz I would never pay $90,000 for any car. If I had that money I'd put that towards a house.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know that if I had 90k to spend on a car it wouldn't be a local that's for sure. I'd be looking at a BMW, merc or alpha or something.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotus elise for me............and im going to own one...
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its good to see that toyota is getting some performance out there... but not in a camry... please not a camry...

but seroiusly... how will this car seriously compete with mazda APS... Subaru GT... ford and holden...

there are two many 4 door, 4 wheel drive turbo family sedan cars out there now... by the time this gets made its gonna be in 2006 and mazda, subaru, ford and holden will have their feet FIRMLY placed in that market... besides i don't expect the camry name is gonna get ppl hearts racing either... bring it out under a different name PLEASE...

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 11:59]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyway, im sure they could de-spec the chaser a little and make the cost come down to a reasonable ammount
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 22:57

its good to see that toyota is getting some performance out there... but not in a camry... please not a camry...

but seroiusly... how will this car seriously compete with mazda APS... Subaru GT... ford and holden...

there are two many 4 door, 4 wheel drive turbo family sedan cars out there now... by the time this gets made its gonna be in 2006 and mazda, subaru, ford and holden will have their feet FIRMLY placed in that market... besides i don't expect the camry name is gonna get ppl hearts racing either... bring it out under a different name PLEASE...

Why not a Camry? Toyota doesn't even have an AWD Sedan aimed at the family market at the moment. more and more companys do and the Camry would be the perfect car to do it too? bringing it under a different is really smart Rolling Eyes considering the fact you basically said no will buy considering the fact it's a Camry. Won't people say "Thats they same motor in the 4-cyl Camry"???
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just don't think the camry name can shake its repuation after being so long in the market... 4 companies are allready producing a car with better specs than what this says... in 2006 its gonna be to late

its just my opinion that this car won't be selling in massive numbers

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 12:31]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 23:30

i just don't think the camry name can shake its repuation after being so long in the market... 4 companies are allready producing a car with better specs than what this says... in 2006 its gonna be to late

its just my opinion that this car won't be selling in massive numbers

why should it sell in massive numbers? the Camry that sells the most is it's 4-cyl. Look at the sales of the current 4-cyl and V6 Camry's. the 4-cyl has always outsold the V6 and usally sells the most in the medium size sedan class in this country. personally myself I think it is good idea Toyota have finally done this. I don't think reputation will be an issue as most people who buy Camry's are usally happy with the cars performance and reliabilty. It's seems too me most of the car magazines etc play a part of bagging the car, remarks such as "white goods on wheels" then they'll turn around and say a VY/VZ Commodore looks great but too me it FUGLY, the rear end looks sooo much like a Magna, (mainstream influence). the only real way to find out is too try it. I own a Camry. I'm very happy with the car and it goes quiet well for an old 4-cyl. while it may not be the fastest car on the road, It gets me anywhere and that what Toyota did so well with the Camry, a very reliable package and cheap as to run and I'm sure the turbo will be the same
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What he said. The market isn't going to bag it because it's a Camry; the sales of the current Camry is proof of that, people love the things!

Toyota isn't trying to build a WRX competitor; they'll be aiming it squarely at the mid-size family hack market, and in all likelihood it will be successful.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt buy a camry as a performance option
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sat, 19 February 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 00:26

i wouldnt buy a camry as a performance option

If i had the money I wouldn't mind buying a 1997-2002 V6 Camry with a 5-spd manual and supercharging it. there was a kit avalible for it in the U.S. I don't know for sure but have heard that they will do 60mph(around 96km/h) in 6.9sec with a superchager in manual form, now thats a quick family hack.
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
err.. lexus anybody?
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'People" do not love Camry's..Cheap skate companies and their fleet managers love them..Drive even a Commodore for a couple of years then go to a Camry..poooo...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg. wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 15:54

'People" do not love Camry's..Cheap skate companies and their fleet managers love them..Drive even a Commodore for a couple of years then go to a Camry..poooo...

id drive a camry before a commodore though
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 00:54

I don't know for sure but have heard that they will do 60mph(around 96km/h) in 6.9sec with a superchager in manual form, now thats a quick family hack.

My stock 1996 Vienta (manual) would pull 7.5 sec 0-100km/h sprints consistently. Very underestimated car.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Life of a toyota marketing manager

Enthusiast Customer 1: " bring back the 86 "

marketing manager thinks:
*rehash rehash etc blarg dribble*

Enthusiast Customer 2: " bring back the gt4"

* blah blah blah fall on deaf ears *

Enthusiast Customer 3: " Wheres the supra?"

* dumdedum WERE NOT LIsTENING! *

Fleet buyer Dan says:

I need 20 camrys to service my management dept as company cars

* BING!!! theres an idea! Sell to that man *

Toyota wont bring out anything exciting here in a hurry until they have the vision to look outside of their bread and butter lines and take a risk

Currently they are stuck in their own self appointed cone of enthusiast silence called " HAVING THEIR HEADS UP THEIR ARSES "

Apparently - according to toyota - while their marketing guys have their heads up their arses , they can just continue on their merry way of earning off " grandpa bob and Business owner dan - and jenny the soccor mum - and lastly bazza the farmer" They have what they want - and are paying quite handsomely - why do they need to listen to the " minority of car buyers who wouldnt buy a new car anyway because they dont have 30 - 50K to spend on pure performance models "

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 08:12]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 19:29

http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2005/02/18/18what_leadimage.jpg

yeah baby... 180+ kW... Shame they ain't turboing the 6 cylinder version...

More than likley it is harder to turbocharge the v6 due to space limitations and there is alot less complicated pipework associated with an inline engine setup. Another possibility is that the torque from the turbocharged v6 would kill gearboxes like the xr6 turbos do.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd buy one... If I wanted to buy a camry. Maybe if I ever have a family Razz

They need to bring back old school toyota.... RWD, 6 cylinders, turbo, 1000-1300kg max weight Wink
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that the majority of buyers look at buying a car the same way I look at buying a toaster - with cold hard logic, cool reason and absolutely no passion for the purchase whatsoever.

The Camry is a sensible car for the sensible buyer who just wants 4 doors, 5 seats, and complete reliability getting from point A to point B. End of purchasing decision.

I really don't think that Toyota NEEDS to do sporty Camrys, Corollas or Avalons to sell cars and make money. As long as they keep a token "sportish" variant in each model they will continue to keep the "sensible but sporty" guy/gal in the market for a Toyota.

That's why I bought a Nissan . . . Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Sun, 20 February 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 18:09

Apparently - according to toyota - while their marketing guys have their heads up their arses , they can just continue on their merry way

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the marketing guys. Considering Toyota own a lot of major market segments, and have the most sales overall in the country (including commercials), I'd say the marketing guys have pretty much got their shit together. They don't give two shits about enthusiasts like us, because we as a group don't have the money to buy anything they could offer. So instead they market to the people who DO have money, ie the fleet manager and the middle-aged family man.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg. wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 15:54

If you perfer a Commodore then go buy one. Don't come on here bitching about how unreliable it is too a Camry. then maybe you'll know why people by them

your statement is pretty flawed considering the fact you reckon no one loves them. yet there are alot getting about Rolling Eyes

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"At last year's Melbourne motor show, Toyota revealed a turbo-powered version of the 2.4-litre engine that is built locally and powers the current Camry. It was fitted to the Sportivo Coupe concept car and had a claimed 180kW of power and 305Nm of torque (compared to the standard version's 112kW and 218Nm)."

I dont think this would work, it will be like the older sportivo corolla. It needs to be built in Japan, with a "G" engine, like , why not put the 3SGTE in it?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 3S-GTE is still in production?? Shocked bring back the GT-4 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It'll be aimed at the family buyer this car, so I think it will work.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota's problem at the moment is that they don't have any kind of image builder in their range. Looking at their sales figures I suppose one could argue that they don't really need to have one, since an image building car is usually good for getting people into the showrooms and buying cars.

Their lack of an image machine was very much in evidence at the recent Brisbane motor show - most other manufacturers had at least one car in their range that enthusiasts and young kids would drool over (or at least a sports car of some kind), while the Toyota stand was just plain boring.

For example:
Holden - Monaro, HSV range, Torana concept, Monaro GTS-R concept
Ford - FPV range, GT (modern GT40 supercar)
Mitsubishi - Evo VIII
Subaru - WRX, Liberty Turbo
and the list goes on.

By contrast, the Toyota stand consisted of Echos, Camrys, Avalons, RAV4's and Landcruisers. Plus one single solitary butt-ugly white open-top concept car that I have forgotten the name of because I could only bear to look at it for two seconds in total.

We all remember when Toyota was selling Celicas, MR2s, Supras and GT4s here when we were kids, and these are the cars we own now. The other manufacturers with their desirable cars (as listed above) are capturing kids imaginations now and in 5-10 years time when they go to buy a car they'll have a brand loyalty built up based on the cool cars of thier youth (something Holden has developed to perfection with HSV since 1988, and even further back with HDT).

In a few years time, nobody is going to equate "Toyota" with "performance", unless the F1 programme bears some fruit and flows down to the road cars. At least that's where I see things heading.

My $0.02

-Matt

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2005 02:30]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 15:40

I don't know for sure but have heard that they will do 60mph(around 96km/h) in 6.9sec with a superchager in manual form, now thats a quick family hack.

My stock 1996 Vienta (manual) would pull 7.5 sec 0-100km/h sprints consistently. Very underestimated car.

Damn straight. My parents 94 Apollo (holden rebadge of v6 camry) was pretty quick for a camry. It handled quite well too ... for a FWD Razz . Plus it went for 350,000kms and the only major problem was when it blew both headgaskets at 140,000 km. Still no sign of smoke when they sold it.
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is a move towards the right direction.

Last year I had a job interview with the factory owned dealership in Sydney. I met the Business manager who was actually from Toyota Australia HQ, not the dealership. We had a good yak about why we don't get the good cars here. Basically came down to cost.

Anyway I didn't end up taking the position but wrote a page long document about what I thought Toyota Australia should do to entice younger drivers. Even invited their people to one of our Dyno Days so they could talk to guys in their 20s who already own performance Toyotas.

Basically the gist of what I wrote was that Mazda was already bringing out a turbo Mazda 6 as an aspirational model and that they could easily make a Turbo Camry since they had already built the turbo 2.4 Sportivo concept and in the US there are TRD V6 supercharged Camrys out dragging N/A V8s so most of the parts are there to swap and change like transmission and suspension.

They never did show up to a Dyno day but I know the letter was forwarded to their product management department. Sounds like someone over there did take notice.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd like to see a totally new model celica. but it must come in a Gtfour version. Something like the st205 but even better.
cant see it happening tho.

i2obert
Regular

July 2003

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i no htis is pointless but even honda is brining out a new 4wd legend it seems every one is going the 4wd power unit root like to see some pics thow
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Tue, 22 February 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 13:36

Soarer wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 15:40

Damn straight. My parents 94 Apollo (holden rebadge of v6 camry) was pretty quick for a camry. It handled quite well too ... for a FWD Razz . Plus it went for 350,000kms and the only major problem was when it blew both headgaskets at 140,000 km. Still no sign of smoke when they sold it.

My mates 1999 Camry V6 5spd manual is no way slow. It flogs most of the N/A 6-cyls getting about. But just think, a Supercharged V6 Camry!! Very Happy I'd love to drive that!!!
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Wed, 23 February 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 19:58

i'd like to see a totally new model celica. but it must come in a Gtfour version. Something like the st205 but even better.
cant see it happening tho.

Yeah a new GT-Four would be nice, but it won't happen.

The whole point of the GT4 was to qualify it for the world rally championship, which from 1987-96 was run under the Group A rules. Group A required that road going versions of a car be produced to homologate it for racing, hence all the road going specials like the GT4s, WRXs, Lancer Evos plus the Lanica Deltas and Ford Escort Cosworths in Europe. The rules changed to the current World Rally Car regs from 1997 onwards, which no longer required these road cars to be produced, hence no GT4s after the ST205. This is why Toyota were able to rally a 3SGTE powered all wheel drive Corolla from 97-99 even though no such road car existed.

Group A was also used for Touring Cars (from 85-92 here) and that spawned such road cars as the original BMW M3, Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500, Skyline GT-R, and of course the four versions of Commodore Group A (VK, VL, VL Walkinshaw, and VN).

Toyota have still been active in motorsport since leaving the WRC, first with endurance racing (Le Mans) and now F1. Unfortunately though it's not translating into performance cars - hopefully the Lexus LF-A concept is a sign that maybe things will change.......

-Matt
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: hello! toyota are releasing an AWD Turbo camry! Wed, 09 March 2005 06:45 Go to previous message
boudan wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 11:48

err.. lexus anybody?

err lexus is a luxary devision not a proformance devision

Razz

no flamin intended
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST162 WITH 3SGTE 1/4 MILE TIMES
Next Topic:where to locate webers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 13:44:22 UTC 2024