Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HOT40K
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 12:16 Go to next message
hey everyone,
While drivin my baby I noticed when i shift from 1st to 2nd at high revs (about 6 grand..come on its a 4AFE.. lol) It wont shift quick without crunching into 2nd. At lower revs i can shift as quick as possible and it goes in perfect...

ps Dont say its my shitty drivin coz i know how to change gears..lol Smile

Have you guys got any ideas what it could be???
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HOT40K wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 22:16

hey everyone,
While drivin my baby I noticed when i shift from 1st to 2nd at high revs (about 6 grand..come on its a 4AFE.. lol) It wont shift quick without crunching into 2nd. At lower revs i can shift as quick as possible and it goes in perfect...

ps Dont say its my shitty drivin coz i know how to change gears..lol Smile

Have you guys got any ideas what it could be???

could be the clutch not engaging 100% properly? My brothers porsche does it when peaking rpm...im not 100% sure, but thats what i think it might be

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 12:43]

Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuffed synchro?
HOT40K
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have to check both those out, but I've been told the synchro may be stuffed on it.. fairly common problem.

Maybe using some Redline Shockproof oil in it may fix it slightly for now...

If it is synchros, do you have to rebuild the box??
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HOT40K wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 23:39

I'll have to check both those out, but I've been told the synchro may be stuffed on it.. fairly common problem.

Maybe using some Redline Shockproof oil in it may fix it slightly for now...

If it is synchros, do you have to rebuild the box??

yeah you do...
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the same problem sorta... mine crunchs when im idling and i put the bugger into reverse, CRUNCH!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats it like down changing from 3rd to 2nd? does it do the same thing? Does it go in easy as pie when you clutch in give it a rev, stick it in 2nd and release clutch? (heel toe without the toe bit)

this may or may not help diagnose between bieng a clutch problem or stuffed syncro problem.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO, your clutch is dragging - not releasing completly.
clutch disk, or VERY slight chance of an adjustment curing it, depending on what you're driving.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 01:09

i have the same problem sorta... mine crunchs when im idling and i put the bugger into reverse, CRUNCH!

this is common with all toyotas from what i have found. what you can do is before putting it in reverse either put it in 1st OR 5th and then reverse
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'd get your clutch checked first 'cos it's the easiest to check and fix. If the problem still persists then you're looking at pulling out the gearbox and getting it serviced.

Fade-e is right. Put the car into 1st or 5th before you try to get it into reverse. If it still crunches, then put it into first and release the clutch a bare fraction so the car moves only a few (even if that) cm forward, then put it into reverse. It should go in sweet as pie after that.

seeyuzz
river
HOT40K
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Fri, 18 February 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shifting down to 2nd i have noticed it has done it also.. so does that mean the 2nd gear synchro is rooted??
How much would i be looking at to get it pulled out and fixed?? Any ballpark figure would do.. cheers guys, yous are so helpful
Thanks a heap, Nick.
HOT40K
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Gearbox Problems Sat, 19 February 2005 01:53 Go to previous message
Does anyone know who stocks redline oils in the NSW area?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Spark Plugs for JDM 4AGE
Next Topic:quick! does my oil strainer/pickup sit too close to the bottom of my sump (pix)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 18:37:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061299800872803 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.