Toymods » Tech & Conversions » JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Mon, 07 February 2005 10:35 Go to next message
Before I get grilled I've already checked out the following threads.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=27728&rid=2608&S=93e4e07108a7d93332badfa 945de4184&pl_view=&start=0#msg_240648
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=54907&rid=2608&S=93e4e07108a7d93332badfa 945de4184&pl_view=&start=0#msg_503681

I've completed the kit and I'm just looking for the wire to trigger it. I know I can use the IG- on the diagnotic connector but I was wondering if there was already another wire already in the cabin?

I've taken out my intrument cluster and connected it to the signal wire connected to my tacho. It works when the engine is free revving (ie. car not moving) but once in gear it no longer works. I've connected a multimeter up to the tacho signal wire and when I put the car in gear the voltage goes to negative 2 to 3 volts whereas at the same time in the engine bay I have another multimeter hooked up to the ig- diagnostic connector and the signal stays around 10v-11v.

How does the factory toyota tachometer work? Where is the signal wire coming from? Why isn't the output of the signal wire (which is labelled ig- on the cluster pcb) the same as that of the ig- of the diagnostic connector?

Thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Mon, 07 February 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should be able to follow the 'diagnostic' wire through the firewall, and into the cabin.

I installed an A'PEXi SAFC and had to find the diagnostic tacho wire under the dash. Good thing i had a proper oscilloscope to see if it was the right wire...
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Sat, 19 February 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I finally got around to threading a wire from the IG- on the service connector and into my cabin.

But the same problem exists ! The shift light only works when the engine is free revving (car not in motion) but when I drive it doesn't light up anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Sun, 20 February 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had the same problem with a split fire tacho.

use coil -ve only wire i could get to do it. mind you this is on a ta22.

on my mates 2001 lancer i hooked his tacho to the same signal wire that the stock guage uses and all was fine? go figure.

im thinking some tacho's use negative switching current as apposed to positive? who knows?

Nathan
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Sun, 20 February 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok... even though I am now using a wire from the service connector which is marked IG- as my trigger I notice that the voltage drops into negative when I put the car in gear.

So how would one change a negative switching current to a positive switching current? Any ideas anyone?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Sun, 20 February 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay so you do have a negative switching system.... bummer.

negative post off your coil is the sure fix right away.

problem with using the service wire and your jaycar light is the wire is neg switching and the tacho doesnt understand the negative signals.

i guess email jaycar support / service regarding this issue and see if they can tell you either a way to redo the kit to accept neg switching signal or if there is something you can use to convert the signal before the shift light.

othewise you need a tacho / shift light that accepts negative switching signal.

but like i said negative off of the coil is a sure thing ... just means a wire run. Or find the negative coil wire in the car at the ecu... im pretty sure its the ecu generating the neg signal from the coil signal... so find the wire at the ecu from the coil... splice in and run it thru the dash up to the light / guage.

Cheers

Nathan
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Sun, 20 February 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the service connector IG- pinout is directly connected to the negative terminal of the coil?
Would there be something inbetween to intercept and change the signal? In the wiring diagrams it doesn't indicate that there is...
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Mon, 21 February 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not too sure on that one.

as a quick test power up the light .... the grab a long wire and run it from the coil negative thru the window to the light.... if it works one can only assume there is something changing the signal or that you have a after ecu wire possibly?

try it and see.

Cheers

Nathan
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Wed, 23 February 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I tapped into the negative wire coming from the coil (according to wiring diagrams as my coil is build into the back of my distributor.) Again the exact same problem... works perfect when I'm free reving but when the car's moving it no longer lights up.

So does anyone know how I would convert this signal??

[Updated on: Wed, 23 February 2005 09:27]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Wed, 23 February 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the jaycar thingy positive triggered?
fukt if i know why it would be that way

the ig- signal from the diag box is very weak

on old cars the neg side of coil was very strong signal

these days its weaker on most newer cars

u might need to run a tacho signal booster to give the jaycar crap hehe thingy a stronger signal
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Thu, 24 February 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i'll be damned.

when you said coil built into the distributor you lost me....bloody fancy new age cars.

lol

cheers

Nathan
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: JayCar shift light kit - trigger wire Fri, 25 February 2005 08:56 Go to previous message
i think u will find the thing built into the distributor is the ignitor, not the coil.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WHY TF wont my instrument cluster come out?
Next Topic:18R-C motor
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:33:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059890747070312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.