Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 10:29 Go to next message
Ok when I get some spare time again I want to shorten my RA40 struts for my TA, so I'm after opinions on how short to make them. Should I just cut them down to the same length as the factory TA struts, or should I go a little shorter and find some suitable inserts?
Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're going to all that trouble wouldn't you be better off with RA60 struts? Shouldn't be any more work and you get better brakes plus more brake upgrade options.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already have the brakes sorted. RA40 struts, MS65 hubs, S2000 rotors and RX7 calipers
Very Happy
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just got my struts back today. i had the MX73 struts shortened to the same length as the '22 and also got the seats swapped over to keep the original springs.

the struts still need shocks and the springs put back on but i can do that, i just gotta buy some shocks...
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your car is going to be lowered and you dont have shocks yet, then short stroke shocks and shortened struts are way to go.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car is going to be a tad lower than stock Very Happy
When you say short stroke shocks, do you just mean shocks from another car that are shorter than the stock 22 ones?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes! I have short stroke setup in my car. My car is just bit lowered also.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you going to use coil overs?
How long are original TA22 shocks?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I'm going coil overs. As for the length of the stock shocks, I couldn't tell you at the moment.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stiff coil-over spring ends up loose many times with OEM lenght shocks. Coil over spring itself is often much shorter in tensionless state than traditional spring. Therefore that's another reason for short stroke suspension.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's any help, there are a few sturt insert options to fit out cars. SW20 inserts fit with a spacer... the rears have an ~40mm short body, and the fronts ~60mm IIRC. I believe the actual stroke may be short on both, too, but I can't measure that until my stokc ones come out.

There are some pics someone posted on celicasupra.com of a rear SW20 strut insert next to a front Ma6x one (which is the same size as xA22/28/40/60 celica IIRC)
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I'm in need of front end work. But would like to understand the construction of struts before progressing. Has anyone got any cut-away pictures of the typical Mcpherson strut?
thanks, Jacob
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE92 shock inserts are good for a shorter stroke too.
Either cut down the strut, add spacers, or a combination of the two.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going to be lowering the car I think its a must to shorten the strut also and fit shorted shocks.

I left mine standard height and with the coilovers, and helper/keeper springs, it still at fulldrop is 'just' uncaptive. And if you've seen pics of my car it isn't that low.

I'll be hoping to take 40 - 60mm out of my strut housing and then find a suitable insert to use.

Then the springs should be nice & captive and the compression/droop ratio should be better. At the moment it would be way off.

Cheers
Joel
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Shortening my struts Sat, 19 February 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Specs from a few different cars here.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26050&rid=129&S=8521274b7acb043cc1750a00 0f4bdd6b&pl_view=&start=0#msg_224748

Callum
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purple_Beasty wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 08:21

Specs from a few different cars here.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26050&rid=129&S=8521274b7acb043cc1750a00 0f4bdd6b&pl_view=&start=0#msg_224748

Callum

Thanks for that mate, tis real handy.
I wonder if I can pick up a shocky application guide from somewhere.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More insert sizes here too:

http://www.garagedori.com/tech/shocks.php
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweeet.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I couldnt find a factory TA22 strut but I have a shorter stroke Tokico insert that was in the girlfriends car.

Tokico Z30004
Body length= 373mm
Shaft length to bottom of thread= 233mm
Body Dia= 43.5mm

So should I be looking for something with about a 50mm shorter body?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /ra60assembly.html

im planing todo something with these in my MA45, going to use propper damper oil too this time Very Happy also going to modify some to fit the rear!

maybe even goto the trouble of making them remotely adjustable.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a set of RA40 struts with that arrangment. Nasty nasty things Confused
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 20:52

I had a set of RA40 struts with that arrangment. Nasty nasty things Confused

well how many 100,000km had thay done? most you find the chrome worn off the shaft!! when working they are not too bad, im going to try adding an extra valve plate each side and adding a needle valve and/or jeted solinoid so it can be switched hard/soft hopefully so it can be driven over rail/tram lines without causing bleeding kidneys and on the track perhaps without the door handles geting worn off Razz

Allan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening my struts Sun, 20 February 2005 11:25 Go to previous message
I'll stick to some adjustable inserts.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cheap 4agze half cuts