Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
geoffrey118
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Top End Power Sat, 19 February 2005 13:11 Go to next message
I just wanted to ask: how can top end power be increased on a 1453cc Turbocharged Diesel Engine!!
  Send a private message to this user    
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Top End Power Sat, 19 February 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put in an unleaded petrol engine.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Top End Power Sat, 19 February 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was.. helpful.... Wink

most people here would have no idea, but you shoudl PM "wagonist" as he has (i think) a diesel caldina?? something like that Wink

for any engine, it's all abotu airflow.. better flow = more top end, but you have to match with fuelling... not as bad with diesel as petrol...

Cya, Stewart
geoffrey118
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Top End Power Sat, 19 February 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Apollo a long time ago I was thinking of putting a 4EFTE into it....but then I realised it would cost me an eye!! Smile
So I thought maybe till now I could get some real power from my 1N-T engine until I have enough money to do the conversion! maybe!
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Top End Power Sun, 20 February 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard of heaps of guys with turbo diesel 4wds getting more power out of there diesel engines.

you can still up the boost, run intercooling, exhaust etc.

you will get more torque too but also top end
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Top End Power Sun, 20 February 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't think diesel engines were compatible with revs!

I suspect the diesel fuel just can't burn quick enough to make power past around 4,500rpm without some super-trick ultra high pressure injection - ala' common rail direct injection diesel engines. Pretty sure you've gotta get the diesel atomised nearly to the point of vapourisation to get a quick & clean burn, which is more or less impossible with old-skool diesels.

If you're happy sticking with your current rev-range, it's basically the same principles as with a turbo petrol engine, like Black MR2 said. More boost, more efficient intercooling, and HEAPS more diesel into the mix. Diesels don't suffer the same mixture sensitivity problems as petrol engines - just throw more juice at it until it blows black soot, and back it off a touch. No need to worry much about lean-out either - they just make less power when run lean. The same rules apply to exhaust flow too - let that turbo spin freely by reducing the exhaust constrictions.

Happy oil burning! Rolling
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Top End Power Sun, 20 February 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This has been tackled in the truck world a little differently .
Next year will see some newer model trucks on the road which use a clever way of getting around the registration which is costed on the horse power rating of the truck . You buy a say 400hp model of truck then by a accessory kit that fits to you diesel engine a LPG system , when you add to the load of the engine at a set load / speed / rpm normal 3d mapping equation the LPG is injected into turbocharger at a rate which replaces the air / diesel rating . And instantly you have a 600hp truck under your right foot returning to a 400hp once you life off , so you get around paying more rego . You will soon see which manufacture has worked out this set up because they will easily outsell the other manufactures due to the cost of the truck vs hp . And this technology is in big demand for purchase by the Americans so there will be lots of jobs for Australians producing this for the overseas market .
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Top End Power Tue, 22 February 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that diesels pinged their heads off (literally) if you even give them a SNIFF of something which actually wants to burn? They run around 25:1 compression to ignite the oil (sorry, diesel), which pre-ignites anything remotely flammable.

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Top End Power Tue, 22 February 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the advantages of diesel is the flexibility in the fuel/air mix, the ratio can change from almost fully lean to fully rich and it should still keep going. Hence turbos and superchargers are pretty effective on diesels.

improvedae86 - I believe that would be LNG not LPG wouldn't it? LPG and diesel aren't compatible are they?
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Top End Power Tue, 22 February 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get vegetable oil conversion kits for diesels. you start her up on diesel and then go to vege oil once all systems are warmed and ready to go.

burns fine and a sh*tload cleaner than diesel. in bulk it's really cheap too
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Top End Power Tue, 22 February 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's also illegal
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Top End Power Tue, 22 February 2005 18:59 Go to previous message
and the the vege oil increases top end by ?????
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Sound System
Next Topic:Drift vids and pics from QLD drift day *56K need not apply*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:28:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053431987762451 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.