Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help!! Engine Fans not working!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Au2FalconS
Occasional Poster

February 2005
icon5.gif  Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Sun, 20 February 2005 07:08 Go to next message
Hi Everyone,
please i hope someone can help me out here. My uncle has picked up an AE82 Corolla Seca with a 4A-C motor. The car got very hot so he pulled over, the top radiator tank burst open. So he got it towed home, now it has a new radiator & thermostat. The problem is that the cooling fans won't kick in when it gets warm. I did the test where you disconnect the thermo switch, the fans run. They also run with the aircon on too. We have replaced the thermo switch with a new one & checked all fuses & relays (we replaced the relays too). We can't figure it out, can anyone shed some light on this situation? We're getting frustrated now.

Cheers,
Adrian.
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Sun, 20 February 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wildshot, but because they are not ECU controlled - only through switch off the A/C or the thermoswitch, it has to be something to do with the switch not earthing proplery...is it possible theres corrosion around the thread or its not making enough contact to ground out?
Au2FalconS
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Sun, 20 February 2005 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok what i did to test the earth on the thermo switch is using a multi metre i hooked up the posotive lead to the postive on the battery and the negatve to the thermostat housing. I got a healthy reading of 12.14v, so the i hooked up the negative to the body of the thermo switch and got the same reading, so doesn't that mean the thermo switch is earthed??? There is a no hardending sealer on the thread.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 18:18]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Sun, 20 February 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those switches work in reverse

when the wire is earthed the thermo does not work

when u unplug the thermo fan wire it looses the earth and then they should come on

if they work when u unplug the wire then everything electrically seems ok

did u try unpluggin the wire while car was running
see if it works then

might be something else like water blockage so no water goes to thermo switch

for now just leave the wire unplugged so it runs all the time
Au2FalconS
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Mon, 21 February 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sideshow, yep that makes total sense! When you unplug the switch hot/cold, engine running or not the fans run, so there is nothing wrong with the electrical system. When tested with the multimeter to see if the switch was working i did a volatge test, positive from battery to terminal on thermo switch, i got a 12.4v reading when the engine was hot or cold, meaning there was always an earth. I think the new thermo switch we got must be faulty, we picked it up from repco, probably should get a genuine toyota one, i don't think there is a blockage, cause we changed the thermostat and it was clear there.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Mon, 21 February 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you take the thermo switch back dip into boiling hot with the multimeter hooked up to it, it should go open circuit. If it stays closed take it back.
Au2FalconS
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Help!! Engine Fans not working!!! Tue, 22 February 2005 10:07 Go to previous message
Ok it's fixed! The circuit wasn't working properly after all. The single fan corolla's run a single four pin relay, the twin fan corlla's have four pin, three pin & five pin relays. The five pin one controls the other two. We replaced the five pin relay and bob's your uncle now working fine. The temp never goes over half way!!

Thanks for your help guys!

Adrian.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP !! 4agze wiring (where does it go)
Next Topic:ae82 handbreak upgrade?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 16:00:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0038909912109375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.