Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
icon2.gif  MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 12:23 Go to next message
I've been sniffing around checking out spring tension/height differences for the MA61. Is it just me or is there a slight ride height difference between front/back of the MA61? I'm also looking at lowering her slightly in the future (brake upgrade on the cards first). Has anyone here gone for the Kings lows in an MA61? Are they too low? I know the kings standards are slightly lower than factory, but I was wanting a little bit more. Sadly they don't do anything between the kings lows and the kings standards, or that's what I'd go for.

I just what to know what sort of clearance I could expect from kings lows, and if it'd be too low. I don't wanna be one of those tools taking speed bumps at 45 degrees Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 23 February 2005 12:22]

Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 23:23

I've been sniffing around checking out spring tension/height differences for the MA61. Is it just me or is there a slight ride height difference between front/back of the MA61? I'm also looking at lowering her slightly in the future (brake upgrade on the cards first). Has anyone here gone for the Kings lows in an MA61? Are they too low? I know the kings standards are slightly lower than factory, but I was wanting a little bit more. Sadly they don't do anything between the kings lows and the kings standards, or that's what I'd go for.

I just what to know what sort of clearance I could expect from kings lows, and if it'd be too low. I don't wanna be one of those tools taking speed bumps at 45 degrees Smile

mines a soarer.. but they are identical in that respect
heres stock
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/likesun.jpg
heres lows
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/jzz10/tints.jpg
to be able to use my rims and run lows I had to have the front AND rear guards modified but it only cost 150 dollars
I dont have to take speed bumps on an angle at all, as long as i slow down to my car doesent like jump off the bump and try to bottom out its all good.. and i dont scrape on anything either
I find its an awesome height for looks and handling

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 12:38]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had Kings lows in my MA61, although I suspect I actually got superlows because I parked it next to Paul Pyyvaara's identical MA61 (it even had the same 2JZ conversion) and we measured a significant difference in ride height. His looked reasonably low without being stupid, but mine looked... well, stupid. And yes, I definitely had to take a lot of speed bumps on a 45 degree angle.

I now have height-adjustable coilovers on the front and I've got them adjusted pretty high. Makes life a lot easier!

I might add the Kings lows don't do much except make your car lower; they're only marginally stiffer than stock so they don't do much for handling. From memory the stockers are 180 lb/in and the lows are 190 (or something like that). I have 300 lb/in springs now and it's a huge improvement.

My advice is to get height-adjustable coilovers if you can afford it. Car too low? It takes all of 10 minutes to raise it. Springs too soft? New ones are available off the shelf in any rate you desire, they're cheap, and it takes about an hour to swap them.

Pity the conversion isn't cheap, but hey, nothing is cheap in this game. Sad
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh.. King Lows are too low.. period. Its stupid and like Norbie said, you gotta take lots of speed humps at a 45 degree angle.

Here's what my King Lows look like. Gives the rear a fooly sik negative camber though Razz

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/2504/dsc005616go.jpg
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I started with King Lows, and whilts the front wasn't too bad, the rear was too low, and with a bit of settling, it would have given me grief.

I ended up fitting stds mainly to ensure I had no issues with Engineering, knowing that I am going to coilovers on the front, and very likely on the rear as well !!

With the Lows in the back, the top of the tyre was higher than the lower lip of the rear flare !!
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 07:58

With the Lows in the back, the top of the tyre was higher than the lower lip of the rear flare !!

Refer to above picture.
1983supra
Regular

I supported Toymods

July 2002
Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a picture of my MA with King Lows

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wcarlson/mypic41.JPG

I changed to standard Kings as the shocks I am running could not handle the ride height, It was bottoming out and I was too lazy to get new shocks, standard kings or the Norbie option are the way to go. Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lows are alright... though my exhaust hits the ground somtimes when I go over some things. Instead of getting kings again, I think i'll just get some custom springs made up that'll be harder. I care not about floating across the road Razz
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Sun, 20 February 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee you guys have a wealth of infomation!!

I have noticed that the front sits a little lower than the rear on my MA61 and i've got Kings Stds in the rear and stockers in the front i think, if that helps joorsh.

After reading what Norbie said, i'm going to be looking at getting some custom 300lb/in springs at kings Std height, if that makes sense...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbs - me knowing buggerall about coilovers, what would the advantage be of going coilovers compared to just getting some custom rate springs and quality shocks?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adjustability, greater clearance between spring and tyres, availability of spring rates to suit the application, bling factor, and greater ability to add in neg camber.

Whether you want to go that route depends on time, cost and in the end the major thing is what are your real requirements

Cheers

Michael B
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I'm getting adjustable strut tops for camber, custome rate springs, custom wheels so tyre clearances are no issue....

so I guess I'm ok Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the pics and opinions guys. You're right - lows make the rear look pretty stupid. I think I'll see if I can track down somewhere that'll let me do 280 - 350lb springs in kings standard ride height. Coilovers are a bit out of my budget - at least they will be after the brake conversion.

Since I've gone for the 7M in the front, how much stiffer should I make my front springs? I was thinking 280 for the rear and 350 for the front?

[Updated on: Mon, 21 February 2005 04:44]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 15:13

Since I've gone for the 7M in the front, how much stiffer should I make my front springs? I was thinking 280 for the rear and 350 for the front?

Norbs went for 300 lb/in in the front, and I have 325 lb/in for the front of mine, and I think the rears might need to be a bit softer than you have indicated.

Remember that the shocks should also suit the spring rate as well. For the rears look at something between 225 - 250, but if you ring King Springs and ask for their techo department, I'm sure they could give some more advice.

Cheers

Michael B
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 07:57

Meh.. King Lows are too low.. period. Its stupid and like Norbie said, you gotta take lots of speed humps at a 45 degree angle.

Here's what my King Lows look like. Gives the rear a fooly sik negative camber though Razz

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/2504/dsc005616go.jpg

How strange - I have King Lows in my RA65, and the neg cam is negligable, nowhere near that much. I have photos somewhere.

I'd never understood when people say Ma6x king lows are too low until I saw your photo. I wonder why the difference?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 13:06

well, I'm getting adjustable strut tops for camber, custome rate springs, custom wheels so tyre clearances are no issue....

Keep in mind you won't get much adjustment out of your strut tops with those big-arse stock springs... there isn't much wiggle-room inside the strut towers. Coilovers are much more compact so you can dial in heaps more camber, as bbaacchhyy alluded to.

As for the rear end, I'm running 200 lb/in springs which are OK but a little soft for my liking. I reckon 225-250 would be ideal as bbaacchhyy suggested, although I will sacrifice some straight-line traction doing that. 280 is going overboard though; the arse end of an MA61 is skatey enough as it is, make it too stiff and it will become unmanageable.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 18:36

Keep in mind you won't get much adjustment out of your strut tops with those big-arse stock springs... there isn't much wiggle-room inside the strut towers. Coilovers are much more compact so you can dial in heaps more camber, as bbaacchhyy alluded to.

You could try swapping in some RA60 struts (barkes should swap over) and you get some (about 2.5 degrees) neg camber (Ed_MA61 is the guru on this mod) and then can use the camber plates to make sure both sides are even !!!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Mon, 21 February 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg that looks pretty tough that low... but i have looked at mine and i reckon MA61's are low enough at the back but could be slightly lower at the front!.. With 4 people in the car... Not including me the back is pretty fucking low!!
Maniac
Regular

September 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok boys,
I have just returned from wilkonson's suspension centre in perth where I just had a set of King Stds fitted....

I am as happy as a pig in sh1t....

Ride hieght was an issue for me as my driveway would have been scrape central....and I'm happy to report that the ride hieght and spring stiffness is EXACTLY whaat I wanted.

Next week I'll be doing the rear springs...then whiteline swaybars and super pro bushes....

then i'm gunna hafta do an engine conversion Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 19:06

As for the rear end, I'm running 200 lb/in springs which are OK but a little soft for my liking. I reckon 225-250 would be ideal as bbaacchhyy suggested, although I will sacrifice some straight-line traction doing that. 280 is going overboard though; the arse end of an MA61 is skatey enough as it is, make it too stiff and it will become unmanageable.

id love to have a ride in your car to see how much stiffer it is than mine, i feel mine is stiff enough, especially for the street. on any shitty roads it even pisses me off
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 16:30

id love to have a ride in your car to see how much stiffer it is than mine,

Shocked
Quote:

i feel mine is stiff enough

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 22:10

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 16:30

id love to have a ride in your car to see how much stiffer it is than mine,

Shocked
Quote:

i feel mine is stiff enough

Shocked Shocked Shocked

stiff enough for use on the roads.. as i do
the roads around here are shit and its bloody annoying when u fall down the massive dips etc
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might get a stiff one soon ... Shocked Laughing
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm pity my supra is away i am feeling very Not-Stiff
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: MA61 Ride height Tue, 22 February 2005 20:16 Go to previous message
i got lows in mine which i got from bbaacchhyy and i think they are little too low. looks good but as i will have a front mount which will hang down a little and a 3" exhaust i have the feeling there will be a bit of trouble with getting over and up stuff. So i might get new springs made up for the rear and Coilovers for the front. Any one want my lows?? Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S-12 > S-14 supercharger
Next Topic:4agte exhaust oil leak
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:57:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054450035095215 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.