Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rontrading
Occasional Poster

July 2004
First time looking at a 7mge, Thu, 17 February 2005 22:55 Go to next message
I just been under the bonnet of a 7mge cressida, for the first time, helping a guy with a car running real rough. I started taking off plug leads and I wondered, whats the deal oil all over the where you put in the plugs.
I normally work on shit box fords, this is something new to me. Anyway I took off lead no.1 no difference to the way it ran, so it something is up there, but how do take a plug out with the oil all around it?
He's coming back on monday, for me to go at it again. Does the oil drain away when you turn it off? he didn't stay around long enough for me to find out and he didn't know and just wants to change the engine, thinking its stuffed, its got black soot lightly allround the back end of the car, but it doesn't blow smoke, so I like to make certain of the motors condition, the soot could be unburnt fuel etc.

Any ideas or links would be help would be great.

From Ron
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Fri, 18 February 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there is oil around the plug, its from a leaking cam cover seal.

No its not normal.

The excess oil will be causing the bad idle.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Fri, 18 February 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence buddy but i suggest your mate takes it to a mechanic, you sound a little clueless
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sat, 19 February 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BHG?...Do compression test!!
seven_mgte
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sun, 20 February 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt sound like a bhg to me from what you have described. From the symptoms you have listed I would suggest that you change the valve cover gaskets (maybe the cover in the center as well because they often crack and look crappy with age.) Also I'd suggest checking and/or replacing the spark plugs, wires and distributor because it sounds like you are having a spark issue.

If you are going to pull the plugs, try to sop up as much of the oil as you can with a rag and compressed air. This is a lot easier to do with the valve covers removed (including the centre one.) If you can't get all of the oil out, don't worry about it too much, it wont be a huge problem if a little oil drips into the cylinders, it may just smoke for a while after you start it. Try to get most of the oil out though, you dont want too much to fall in.

Good luck.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sun, 20 February 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it took me ages to get my Cam covers to seal on my 7MGE was a bitch of a job can't remeber what gasket gope I ended up using
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sun, 20 February 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesseT18 wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 18:47

no offence buddy but i suggest your mate takes it to a mechanic, you sound a little clueless

no different to most mechanics Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sun, 20 February 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seven_mgte wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 17:41

If you can't get all of the oil out, don't worry about it too much, it wont be a huge problem if a little oil drips into the cylinders, it may just smoke for a while after you start it. Try to get most of the oil out though, you dont want too much to fall in.

About a year ago when my car was being serviced I had the rocker cover gaskets replaced... There was a fairly large amount of oil in the spark plug gallery and quite a bit drained into the cylinders when they pulled the plugs. Apparently when they started the car up it made so much smoke that the fire brigade was called and the guys had to close their 3 roller doors so they wouldn't have to work in a dense blue cloud of oil smoke. People from neighbouring shops and businesses came outside to see what was on fire. Laughing Laughing Laughing It took 40min to stop smoking completely. Surprised
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sun, 20 February 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 21:22

seven_mgte wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 17:41

If you can't get all of the oil out, don't worry about it too much, it wont be a huge problem if a little oil drips into the cylinders, it may just smoke for a while after you start it. Try to get most of the oil out though, you dont want too much to fall in.

About a year ago when my car was being serviced I had the rocker cover gaskets replaced... There was a fairly large amount of oil in the spark plug gallery and quite a bit drained into the cylinders when they pulled the plugs. Apparently when they started the car up it made so much smoke that the fire brigade was called and the guys had to close their 3 roller doors so they wouldn't have to work in a dense blue cloud of oil smoke. People from neighbouring shops and businesses came outside to see what was on fire. Laughing Laughing Laughing It took 40min to stop smoking completely. Surprised

HOLY FUCKIN SHIT!!

Razz are u serious that is nuts....

NOLAN
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Sun, 20 February 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am serious... I know there was a fair bit of oil in there, it was like a puddle, but I would have assumed that they'd try to get rid of it before removing the plugs. No No No
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: First time looking at a 7mge, Mon, 21 February 2005 01:43 Go to previous message
I did that with my 120y.
Both me and my dad put oil in it because we had no idea the other person had already filled it.
It made soooooooooooooooooooo much smoke, I honestly couldn't even see the end of the boot,
it was great I recon it would have left a hole in the ozone the size of the MCG !
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My Corona Backfired.....
Next Topic:JDM RA23/28 Bonnet mirrors...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 19:40:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047190189361572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.