Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Got Slicks?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 03:34 Go to next message
at 75,000km on the front end, the Goodyear Eagle's had seen better days:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/hardman69/9c436fa0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/hardman69/96b2b687.jpg

God bless their hard-worked carcasses, may they rest in peace. Amen.

p.s. Aquaplaning at 70km/h is NOT COOL ! ! Embarassed
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
driving around on public roads with tyres like that is way less cool ..

dude - thats not on ..

seriously
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lighten up dude
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yah ive got some slicks on the front of mine

toyo trampio 08R's

fuckin awesome, if anyone is thinking about semi slicks for their car, get some. such an improvement.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lighten up?? - no way ! its absolutely silly to have tyres that worn on a road car- the car as noted by the owner had no grip ! Aquaplane into an intersection - whamo - dead or injured, be it yourself or another innocoent party ..

jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i agree to classique71.
you could have the best suspension set-up and the best brakes money can buy, but if you have no tread...than you're doing all that in vain. Think about buddy, worn out slicks are not cool!!be sensible and replace asap
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a side note you had a good wheel allignment looking at the tread wear. but those tyres = stupidly worn... i'm guessing that you're a tightarse and didn't want to buy new tyres.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lighten up hes replaced them hasnt he

OMG YOU DID SOMETHING BAD!!!1one
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 18:37

on a side note you had a good wheel allignment looking at the tread wear. but those tyres = stupidly worn... i'm guessing that you're a tightarse and didn't want to buy new tyres.

1/2 a millimetre difference in inner/outer treadwear after 75,000km with NO ROTATION is FaaaReakin good eh? Never had an alignment in 2years either - Go teh Toyota suspension design and quality! !

I KNOW the level of wear was beyond anything resembling funny or acceptable, but I was hanging out desperately for ANY sort of 17" wheel I liked to be available. I ended up having 3 different wheels on order, waiting, waiting, then to be told that stock can't be sourced in my stud pattern/offset. Refund, order next favourite wheel, repeat process. Mad Mad Mad Mad

I know it's no excuse, but I only had 3 or 4 properly wet driving days since they became questionable, and you had BETTER BELIEVE i drove with safety margin to spare AND THEN SOME ! ! ! - I ordered new tyres the week I decided to buy another car and ditch (whoops - I mean sell) the SillyCar.

Oh - I am too cheap to buy treaded tyres - for My go-Kart! The appreciation of what happens (and how to drive) when a vehicle aquaplanes goes THROUGH THE ROOF racing on slicks in the wet! - not that having said experience makes it O.k. for me to drive a road car with r00ted tyres. Helps tho . . . . Confused

Edit: Oh yeah - aquaplaning @ 70 was me speeding up from 50 until I got wheelspin, then slowing back to 50 - finding out what I had to work with when I was clear of traffic. That was in about 3cm of standing water in an absolute sh!tstorm of a downpour.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 13:36]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those kind of tyres+wet day+fwd+driver not knowing what will happen= holy shit face

i had tyres similiar, but abit more tread in my previous car. i was doing 20 on a 70degree-ish downhill left turn and decided i was going heck slow, stepped on throttle abit... let's just say i went with the flow Smile

also i had to go around round abouts extremely extremely extremely extremely slow for them not to understeer.

all this said, this is why it's my "previous" car. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 13:50]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Got Slicks? Fri, 18 February 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man most of us have grip problems with tread... but thats just stupid.

if they were being used fullstop not just on public roads. then you deserve a kick in the head.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 07:16

man most of us have grip problems with tread... but thats just stupid.

if they were being used fullstop not just on public roads. then you deserve a kick in the head.

Lick my b@lls Bugman. Heavily worn tyres offer only marginally less grip than similarly aged tyres with tread. They're only a problem in standing water and on wet, oily, glassy tar - which I well and truly accounted for with my driving. You'd most likely tell me to stop driving like a granny if you'd been in the car with me. - I didn't set out to wear teh tyres that kronik, I just kept getting left with no 17's to put new tyres on.

truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugman...u raised a point, he understands it was unsafe, so get over it

i love internet samaritans Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't matter bugman... he's in Melbourne and we're in Sydney so the only one who has to worry about having ST184 sillycar running up his arse is classique Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just so all you kiddies know how important having good tread on your tyres is I'll show a set of tyres which had the arse end of the GT4 sideways on the hume hwy in fairly heavy rain one day.
I was not speeding or driving through big puddles at the time either.

Note that the rear tyres are just on the indicators... the front tyres are fine though.

These are the rear tyres that had me sideways
http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/Toobs/reartyres.jpg

These are the front tyres which are fine... the car was basically just pulling itself along the highway with the arse end going pretty much where ever the water wanted to take it.
http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/Toobs/fronttyres.jpg

If I had have had an accident with those rear tyres on it is highly likely that the insurance company wouldn't cover the accident as they would claim the vehicle was not roadworthy.
Even if I had an accident on a perfectly dry road they would probably still not cover it... remember insurance companies will do anything to get out of a claim!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sillycar youre tyres look like they belong on the rear of my car at a drift day Very Happy

everyone else, get over your selves, seriously Rolling Eyes
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm over it, i'm just amazed at the quality of the allignment, either that or roads in melbourne don't have potholes like sydney does Mad
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Sat, 19 February 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man that's impressive alignment

my tyres NEVER go like that.

also of note, I had some "semi-slicks" ie, 1/2 quite worn thanks to alignment and it was time to replace them right as I was changing my gearbox to the LSD.

I had more traction (even in the wet) from my 'semi-slicks' on the LSD than I did from full new tyres on the open diff.

I was amazed, and impressed.

And boy, you dudes sure jumped sillycar! whoa. who hasn't had to let their tyres run low and been forced to drive around real careful once in their life because they had no money..

(I have a spare set of stockos I throw on now when I need traction and have no money - it's good!)
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Sun, 20 February 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have money. Sure don't mind spending it on tyres - that's why I put Eagle F1's on the front in the first place. It just didn't make sense to put new tyres on while I waited 3 weeks for my new 17"s to get imported.

Which never happened, of course. Sad

It's fairly simple to "drive around" a known problem b.t.w. - Just pay attention and make sure you're well inside the safety "envelope."

The rears were similar to Toobs' rears ^^ and wore evenly too. Go Toyota chassis engineering ! !
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Mon, 21 February 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a guy on here that has been driving around a ford laser with a totally bald left fron tyre and a right front with less than 1/2 mm of tread.
What makes it worse is that they are retreads and he does 110km/h everyday in heavy traffic.

I think you guys totally missed this guys point .
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Got Slicks? Mon, 21 February 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you keep going and get to the belts you should get some grip back Rolling Eyes
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Got Slicks? Tue, 22 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Belts = Sparks Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Got Slicks? Tue, 22 February 2005 10:48 Go to previous message
Quote:

roads in melbourne don't have potholes like sydney does

Ever where execpt NT have better road than Sydney!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:which mag had ecu write up?
Next Topic:t04 flange ???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 08:40:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0098531246185303 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.