Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 06:09 Go to next message
Hey i would just like to know, who is a mechanic engineer because thats what i am aming to be. I just would like to know

1.Do you have to go to uni
2.Do you have to go to tafe
3.What qualifications do you need.
4.How long will it take to become one
5.Is it worth it
6.And what subjects for the hsc is best.

Cheers Nick
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are talking about being a Mechanical Engineer, with a Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical, degree, you will need to go to uni.

Subjects are the same for all engineering,
Physics, Calculus, Applicable Maths, and English.

Its a 4 year degree, but you can do 2 years at Tafe if you don't have the grades for uni.
2 years at tafe equates to the first year at uni.

This of course, is based on WA, circa 1999, when I started.
Things could have changed, but it wont be much.

If you are talking about the Tafe certificate equivalent of the degree, I don't know.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was a large thread about this a couple of months back, it should have some good info for ya, try a search for mechanical engineering, or automotive engineering.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think that thread was mine?

well, i fluked it in mechanical engineering. pretty much a lucky strike. i was really looking towards repeating or something!

frankly, i have no clue, but there's an alternative if you flunk the hsc. you go tafe, do a course called "mechanical technology" or something and then apply for uni? i'm not quite sure but this is what the lady at ultimo tafe said when i called up. she seemed eager to get off the phone but...

to get prep up for mech engineering, it's recommended that you should be at 3u (ext. 1) maths level, adv. english and also physics. i also heard chemistry, but my cousin, who attends the uni i'm going to, and also does mech engineering says you don't need to.

even if you don't do these subjects, there will be "catch up" classes before uni starts. their intense though.

what makes you want to be a mechanical engineer? the only exciting thing i've heard about it is building a race car and competing it in the sae Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

the years at my uni is 5 years for the entire course
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im not very good at school, but im good with cars i want to engineer peoples cars, for when they are hasteld buy the cops ( engine,interia,extria all that

My subjects are currently

Maths General
English Standerd
Buiness Studdies
Industrial Technology
SLR
Relgion

and aswell as school im going to granvill tafe at the momment and working at phill guilburt toyota
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sat, 19 February 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your best option is to get your HSC... Then wait maybe one or two years, and return as a mature-aged student...

The criteria is much lower I have been told.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sun, 20 February 2005 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woow never consider that as an option
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Sun, 20 February 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a mechanical engineer

i got nothing to do with cars
i build machinery
dies
special stuff

if u wanna study it u atleased have to be good at maths i dont know y
my calculator helps me out
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if u wanna study it u atleased have to be good at maths i dont know y my calculator helps me out

Youre an engineer, scary Shocked

If you want to engineer vehicles you will have to have a bachelor of engineering (mechanical) and be a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers AFAIK.

But if you are "not very good at school" forgot about being an engineer, maybe a mechanic is more youre thing, you can fix the problems with the cars especially the "extria"
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and you , might have trouble with english based on your "creative" spelling

engineering is very different from fixing cars
Secoh
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't do advanced maths then don't bother trying to be an engineer.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 08:41

If you want to engineer vehicles you will have to have a bachelor of engineering (mechanical) and be a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers AFAIK.

This is what I managed to finally extract from the stupid Transport dept.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 14:13

hehe how many phone calls did that take?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tafe is alot more hands on and interesting than uni however toga partys kick ass

[Updated on: Mon, 21 February 2005 07:35]

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am also a mechanical engineer and like The Count, my job has nothing to do with cars either. Of course the degree CAN get you a car design related job, but the mech eng field is so diverse the job opportunities are much broader than that. I myself work for a company that designs and builds electrowinning equipment for the mining industry.

A mechanical engineering degree at uni is quite tough - you need to be very good at Maths and Physics (and be prepared to work VERY hard!) If maths/science isn't your thing then forget it, there is a very good reason why the entry requirements for engineering are so high.

I reckon the guys who engineer cars have a pretty tough job - there's more to it than just looking at a mod and saying "yeah that looks OK". They need to be able to perform calculations to make sure things are structurally sound, or that the braking force will be adequate for the increased weight, or that the modified track width doesn't put undue stress on suspension components for example.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who drop out within the first year because the course is nothing like they expected and they couldn't handle it.

-Matt
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to do engineering, you have to be CAPABLE of doing 4 unit maths, or the highest HSC level of maths. You dont have to do it, you just have to be capable of it.

And then the maths gets harder. I still have no idea how the hell i managed to get through double derivative calculus with a distinction Confused

It is true, heaps of people drop out of engineering. I have 80% done so after 1.5-2 years, but not for coursework reasons - i did it for career path reasons.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 18:44

there is a very good reason why the entry requirements for engineering are so high.

they actually arent for most uni's. e.g. uow uai cutoff was about 76.

but i heartily agree that mech eng is harder than you would think.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 February 2005 08:15]

hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If u want to work on cars then do Automotive engineering and u will prob need maths methods 1,2,3,4
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 16:06

if you want to do engineering, you have to be CAPABLE of doing 4 unit maths, or the highest HSC level of maths. You dont have to do it, you just have to be capable of it.

And then the maths gets harder. I still have no idea how the hell i managed to get through double derivative calculus with a distinction Confused

It is true, heaps of people drop out of engineering. I have 80% done so after 1.5-2 years, but not for coursework reasons - i did it for career path reasons.

My most hated were Laplace transforms yuk!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 15:14

justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 14:13

hehe how many phone calls did that take?

Multiply what you thought was reasonable by 3 and then add at least 2.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice guys, but i suck at maths and thats a fact some people are good at it and some arnt. I am good with cars tho so i need a way around it. Rolling Eyes
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to get you giddy'd up

http://www.sae-a.com.au/fsae/gallery04/pages/Unive rsity_of_Technology_Sydney.htm

Very Happy
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah uts f-sae licks the balls. uow rules all.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice to see lots of prof eng here. i am 3/5th my way through a process eng degree.

eng degrees r lots of hard work.

skills needed nowdays are further than just maths/sci needed to get in with big focus on the people side (which most eng like me suck at), team work, project management, environmental etc

all aspects of eng can work with car/automotve areas but this is only a very small part of the spectrum which includes petro chem (polymers, refining), mining, etc

as a proc eng, i been learning alot about heat transfer, fluid flow, mass transfer etc which is all good for use in engines/turbos/intercoolers etc

hey wats wrong with laplace transforms?? im sure someone somewhere in the world might actually use it......

nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 20:46

just to get you giddy'd up

http://www.sae-a.com.au/fsae/gallery04/pages/Unive rsity_of_Technology_Sydney.htm

Very Happy

whats it supposed to be..?
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 21 February 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 20:50

bah uts f-sae licks the balls. uow rules all.

until i join Very Happy

national go kart champ in the house!

bahahah fuck i wish what i just said was true!

yeh, i heard gong's team is uber leet. and funded heaps!

nick2b, it's kinda like formula ford. most engineering faculties and the aid of some others come together and build a race car from scratch.
vroom vroom!
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Tue, 22 February 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, anyone get to keep it?
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: mechanic engineer`s Tue, 22 February 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, Me.
i also get to keep all the loosers gf's and sistaz
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Wed, 23 February 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you mean timetoplay?
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Wed, 23 February 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drft spec - st167 wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 21:09

nice to see lots of prof eng here. i am 3/5th my way through a process eng degree.

skills needed nowdays are further than just maths/sci needed to get in with big focus on the people side (which most eng like me suck at), team work, project management, environmental etc

all aspects of eng can work with car/automotve areas but this is only a very small part of the spectrum which includes petro chem (polymers, refining), mining, etc

as a proc eng, i been learning alot about heat transfer, fluid flow, mass transfer etc which is all good for use in engines/turbos/intercoolers etc

hey wats wrong with laplace transforms?? im sure someone somewhere in the world might actually use it......

Hey dude, im a chemical engineer ( well, still student).
Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Wed, 23 February 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offense but if you are only doing general maths I think engineering is abit out of your league, Razz not too mention the fact you don't meet any prerequsites for the course, and pretty much every single subject you do scales down
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: mechanic engineer`s Wed, 23 February 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I've just done 4 years of mechatronics at uni, at school I was top of the class in IB Higher Level maths but I still struggled with uni engineering maths...

Oh, and Adelaide will be back with a vengance at weribee this year Evil or Very Mad
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Thu, 24 February 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 19:49

drft spec - st167 wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 21:09

Hey dude, im a chemical engineer ( well, still student).
Very Happy

cool, sweet, i just got back from 1st week pub crawl, wat year r u? u done work exp yet? which uni?
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Fri, 25 February 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drft spec - st167 wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 21:41

cool, sweet, i just got back from 1st week pub crawl, wat year r u? u done work exp yet? which uni?

Im doing a combined degree in Chemical Engineering and science( chemistry major), and this is the fourth year of my (now) six year degree at Newcastle UNiversity.

I havent dont work exp yet, but i will do that end of this year
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 28 February 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems like i dont have it cut out so im going to do someting with interia designing or something
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: mechanic engineer`s Mon, 28 February 2005 21:54 Go to previous message
with spelling like that you won't be doing anything lol just j/ks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:decent cams????
Next Topic:If i want to sell a Sprinter, I will sell it in EBAY...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 18:20:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082161426544189 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.