Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » protective coating for paintjob.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 12:25 Go to next message
hi.
does anyone know what that protective coating is called?
its the one that when u buy a new car the dealers always recommend to get it along with window tinting etc,.
also i think u dun need to wash ur car when u have that..
u just hose it down with water and it looks clean..
since my car is black.. i need something like this.

also where can i get it done and how much would it cost roughly...

thanks for any advice.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 February 2005 12:26]

Send a private message to this user    
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ming?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 22:55

ming?

mong?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pong?

Go ahead and get your super special, $1000 "teflon" coating to "protect" the car. Then have a minor bingle and cry big tears when it costs a mint to get it removed from the bodywork you dented as it cannot be painted over.

IMHO this protective coating crap is just another way for the dealer to make a bit more money from an unsuspecting customer who wants to do the right thing. If you don't want to wash your car all the time you shouldn't have bought a black one!
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh I agree with you. the dealers probably make good money from it.
I suppose if it costs about $1000 it wouldnt be worth it.
www.ming.com.au hasnt got much info there. but i might give them a ring later in the day.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 00:35

munki wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 22:55

ming?

mong?

err...oh, right!
mung?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: protective coating for paintjob. Mon, 21 February 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other wrought is the rust prevention.. it's a 15$ can of spray fish oil
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are youse guys talking about a spray on coating for the paint, because I have also seen a plastic film that is applied to the car (sort of like Contact), but laser cut so it fits your car exactly - usually applied to the front to prevent paint chipping, but also has some UV protection to help prevent fading.
Saw it in a UK car magazine, so don't know if it's available in Oz. Here's a link to a UK company that does it:
http://www.clearmask.com/aboutourkits.htm

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2005 05:04]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats so hard about giving the car a good wax every couple of months?
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stone Guard? Probably only worth while if your gonna take it off the hardtop. Having said that my TRX has stone guard around all the bottom sills, bottom of front spoiler, back etc... Seem to have done the job ( no chips or scratches ) and it isnt really noticable until you get up close. Bitch to clean though!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

M.W.P. wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 16:14

Wax on... wax off... wax on... wax off...

However, I do hate those car-bra things. They look stupid and if you're that worried about your car then maybe you should buy an old shit box. Chips and things happen all the time to cars and if you're scared of such stuff then why bother having one?

I pay the young teenage latino chick across the road to wash and polish my car. Especially in the hot summer months when she wears a filthy small bikini. I sit and sup my home brew and watch and admire her work - until the wife comes out and gives me a flea in the ear and sends her home. Smile

seeyuzz
river
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 21:05

Hi,
I pay the young teenage latino chick across the road to wash and polish my car. Especially in the hot summer months when she wears a filthy small bikini. I sit and sup my home brew and watch and admire her work - until the wife comes out and gives me a flea in the ear and sends her home. Smile

Laughing Gold!
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, that latino girl should start a business.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Tue, 22 February 2005 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the craps called PPS and its aboot $600 from what ive read.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Wed, 23 February 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stuff used by our local Toyota dealer is called Protech paint protection.

It does a good job keeping the car clean, when it rains it looks like my car has been washed & polished. My dad's car apparently had the same treatment and for a 15 year old car the paint is in remarkable condition with a full gloss shine.

I tried a Google search but I couldn't find a link to the right company, however if you're interested I can check the brochure & see if they've got a mailing address or phone number...
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Wed, 23 February 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please do conquest.
i'd much appreciate it.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: protective coating for paintjob. Wed, 23 February 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 21:05

Hi,

M.W.P. wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 16:14

seeyuzz
river

thats fing hillarious
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Wed, 23 February 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry mate, checked the brochure and there's no contact listed. I guess it's a dealer only service...

If you want to look into it further the company is called JDR Trading Pty Ltd t/as PROTECH Protection Technologies. Maybe you could try calling your local Toyota dealer and see what they use or recommend but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for it.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Wed, 23 February 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ok no worries.
Toy3T Ra28
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: protective coating for paintjob. Sat, 26 February 2005 07:32 Go to previous message
As i work in a new car pre-delivery centre, i thought i'd have my say, i belive any teflon based products, pps or simalar, can work well as long as applied correctly, any fireglaze or diamond guard type products are essentialy just a thick, expensive coat of wax(our current applicator has a habit of leaving swirls on dark paint, esp. black.)Go the teflon base, then try using a good high pressure cleaner and a clean chamois, then a product like meguiars final inspection with a good rag, should do it...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE20 Rims BE HONEST!
Next Topic:AE86 Meet in Holland!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:52:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060629844665527 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.