Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
natskis
Occasional Poster

January 2005
4agze idle issues Tue, 22 February 2005 13:05 Go to next message
Hey guys.

Just posting a problem up that im having with my car and wanting to know if anyone has had a similar issue or has any constructive input to add.
Please be patient as I am in all honesty a NOOB when it comes to cars.

Here it is,
I have a Sprinter with a 4agze engine (best drive of my life and I loose myself driving it because it is such an awesome feeling). The major problem I am having now is this.

When the car revs to over 3k rpm, and you clutch in. The revs drop quickly and then keep dropping until the car stalls.
(Yeah ive learned to heel toe pretty well recently to stop this).
But its quite annoying.
Not only that but sometimes the car will be idling at around 600 which is what it is set to by the mechanic, but then like today. It was idling around 2.5k rpm... WHAT THE?!?!

I have had one mechanic tell me that its the air flow meter that needs to be readjusted. I have had another tell me that it is the wiring from the ecu that needs to be re done as it appears to be bad (then he said that he would have to find gze wiring diagrams so that might take a while to source... which i managed to find from http://www.club4g.com for those interested). Note that both these mechanics mucked around with the idle and I know that the last one also adjusted the air flow sensor as well.

Now the last mech I went to, although they appeared to know what they were doing, they said that it is probably the ecu (I thnk its a stock ecu in there)
He also said that the last mech mustn't have known what he was doign because he adjusted the air flow meter and changed settings that should have not been changed.. *sigh*

But with that said he also adjusted the idle control (or something... this is where my noobness comes into play...) Where he set the idle sensor to no circuit when it was meant to idle and then it had a circuit when there was throttle. (man thats another thread in itself, I'd really like to know about that actually...)

Well all in all. This appeared to fix it but it started playing up again when I had left.

Now the thing is this. My baby is moody. Like a girlfriend with pms (I have to tip toe around all the time) but it happens every 2nd day!!!
It appears to be much better as well once you warm her up properly for about 4-5 mins and then give her a little open throttle loving. She tends to act normally. Otherwise she likes to just stall when clutching in.

The bottom line is this for those with attention spans long enough to have read the problems/story/spiel. What are peoples opinions of the problem?
Has anyone had this issue before and has any idea of what it could be?
Cheers in advance guys

Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze idle issues Tue, 22 February 2005 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bypass adjustment on the AFM will only really effect the car at idle i've found. after i did my turbo conversion on the 4agze i had the same problem of the car stalling after i revved it/coming to the traffic lights etc. i adjusted the AFM bypass out (anticlockwise a couple turns) so it allowed more air past the flapper when i closed the throttle. and then i adjusted my idle with the idle adjustment screw thats on your throttle body to set my idle (when the car is warmed up) at 900 rpm.

maybe a diagnostic check on the ECU might even show a code as to a faulty sensor or something. this might help.
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/ECU% 20Diagnostic%20Codes.htm

mighty_boy
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4agze idle issues Tue, 22 February 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry natskis im having the same problems, i thought it might have been the spark plugs or the leads but i think feral is right on the money
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze idle issues Tue, 22 February 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let the car get to operating temps and fiddle with the idle there.

I can't remember if the AFM gze has the ISCV (idle speed control valve) or not, but i would have thought that this would be helping to control the problem.

Next thing - your mechanics sound a little silly.
Setting the idle to 600rpm is stupid, it's not a V8. Blaming the wiring is equally dumb... how does that effect idle?

idle should be 900rpm at full operating temps, and higher when cold thanks to the auxilary air valve.

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze idle issues Tue, 22 February 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The AFM ZEs use a isc valve, the best trick I've found is to get a multimeter with a duty cycle function and hook it up to the isc.

Get the car to normal operating temperature, then adjust the idle bypass screw on the TB until the duty cycle of the isc is around 50%, that way it's got heaps of throw either way.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4agze idle issues Tue, 22 February 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude

I have an AFM 4AGZE in an AE86 as well, and let me tell you, I have the same problem and so will alot of other RWD 4AGZE setups. The problem is within the airflow of vacuum, mainly in converting the IC piping to RWD, and i've also read from sources that the inlet and supercharger manifold designs affect this too.

I've put up with it for 3 years, just by adjusting the idle screw and AFM bypass adjustment as feral said (but don't get too fidly otherwise you'll just muck it up).
I heel-toe constantly (boy what practive it develops!) and I've also developed a somewhat sixth sense as to what my engine is going to do on any given day, temp/moisture wise Razz but all in all its an absolute motherf*^ing pain in the ass which you will have to put up with.

Mine is soooo temperamental, on some drives it is normal, but on other days it just KEEEEEEPS stalling, no matter how many times i rev it.

But the best solution i've found is to replace the AFM with a newer/better condition one, or just go aftermarket ECU.

ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got the same problem but seem to be able to cope with adjusting the throttle and bypass like every1 else.. driving style also helps..

i try not to just come off throttle/ clutch in from really high revs as this seems to make it happen more.. instead let ur revs come down easily as u break, and the less the revs drop when u clutch the less strain that seems to be on the bypass..

also 600rpm is way to low!! my idle is like 1000rpm on idle and a bit higher when cold...

James

[Updated on: Wed, 23 February 2005 01:11]

natskis
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you do adjust the AFM, is there any chance that it will damage the car in anyway? For example... can it make it run too rich or lean e.t.c.?

And what does in affect when you do adjust it? How can you tell it is doing anything? (just asking to make sure I dont adjust it too much not knowing what im doing and destroy anything)
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He probably just adjusted the idle mixtures - It shouldn't hurt much..
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
natskis wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 13:10

When you do adjust the AFM, is there any chance that it will damage the car in anyway? For example... can it make it run too rich or lean e.t.c.?

And what does in affect when you do adjust it? How can you tell it is doing anything? (just asking to make sure I dont adjust it too much not knowing what im doing and destroy anything)

no it won't.

just run the car at operating temp and try to make the car idle roughly ie. go for a drive, stop on side of road when idle is hunting and pop the bonnet.

then use a screwdriver and turn the screw anti clockwise and see if the idle steadies up. Don't adjust too dramatically tho, don't wanna fuck it up further.

another trick is to take the terminals off the battery and let the ECU 'reset' overnight. Had no success for me.

I'd say your AFM has had it.

solution? Turbo !!! Cool
natskis
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 14:09

I'd say your AFM has had it.

solution? Turbo !!! Cool

I like your style!!!
Hmmm maybe the first mechanic was right about the AFM then Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he could be.

but inevitably, you just have to accept that the GZE will idle roughly sometimes.

My old AFM was stolen (HAHAHA suck on teh phat one dipshits Twisted Evil ) and it idled like a dog, i adjusted it ten billion times but would never hold. I then bought one that was in awesome condition, wacked it on and NEVER had any issue on the following drives - i'm talking 98% holding idle, and 2% stalling at lights - it was a dream!

but lately it's been happening all too often like the old days.

on another note - did you happen to buy leaven's White GZE?
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey nat
if i think you are who i think you are, ARE YOU A TRAM???
if not, please disregard my craziness Very Happy

interesting places for info
http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html
http://www.sixworks.com.au/html/tech_data.html

in particular
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h21.pdf
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h26.pdf

I've got a suspicion that you might have a air bubble in your cooling system, this makes the idle sad. Same goes for a certain stalling green/black starlet gt i know of Wink

my car has no 'cooler' and it idles great, pipe goes straight from charger to throttle body. Not so cool going up hills, but good enough for a squirt here and there, when funds permit i'll get a 'cooler' in.

dodgydan
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could need tps adjustment
natskis
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 4agze idle issues Wed, 23 February 2005 11:29 Go to previous message
c2888 wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 18:33

ARE YOU A TRAM???

Only in melbourne can you buy naruto headbands... walk around with them and be accepted. YES dan I am him Laughing
No one understands how funny that quote is lol

Thanks for the tips guys... Oh and I had the radiator flushed. It did have a few bubles in it but im sure it got squeezed out... might try it again though.

OH and yeah I did buy leavin's white one. Its a funky car aside from this issue, minor issues with scraping and some wicked leaks in the window seals Wink
oh and the oil leak lol... but aside from that its a GREAT car and I LOVE IT Smile
(well you gotta have SOME things to do with a car when you buy it to make it feel like its your own)

p.s. Those links are HARDCORE cheers dan...
Man they should put those links on a sticky thread.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 February 2005 11:45]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION!
Next Topic:18r-g installation
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:14:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051121711730957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.