Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
luked
Newcomer

August 2004
200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 08:27 Go to next message
Is it possible to get 200hp out of a 22r if i rebuild it and put a EFI setup on it
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err... Just from a rebuild and new EFI? No.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't say it isn't possible at all, just that it's going to be somewhat expensive... Going to need to get that head flowing decently, and make the thing feel like doing some revs.

Either that, or throw a turbo on it and enjoy much more than 200hp Evil or Very Mad
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just supercharge it with a 350 holley, youll get 200hp but it wont be pretty Very Happy
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a turbo + manifold to suit a 22r motor if you are interested...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy. Go to LCengineering.com, and give them an open cheque.

I know a guy with a SCed 22RZE which is porbably putting out about that, in Canada, and another guy on the OCC list used to autox a 300hp turbo 22RTE. It's possible, but for the effort & $$$ required over here, probbaly not worth it.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still, I think you could get a bit more than 300 out of one if you have a good understanding with your bank manager.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, GaryM could have gotten more than 300HP out of his had he wanted, IIRC, he just chose not to sacrifice the wider powerband etc etc.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 24 September 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are lots of guys getting high HP out of 22R's in the USA as they dont have 18R-G's.

Look on these forums for heaps of info:
http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?name=For ums
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 25 September 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well they have aout 50 hp standard

so bolt up a 150 hp nos kit

that makes 200 hp

might not be reliable

my old 22r in my hilux was a heap of shit

so the way i got 200 kws from my 22r was to throw it out and fit a 1uz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 25 September 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 22:30

i have a turbo + manifold to suit a 22r motor if you are interested...

Is this for a carby motor??

Just to clarify, the 22R is a 2.4 litre motor commonly found in hiluxes?
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 25 September 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep.

Also in the fuel injected RT14x Corona series... and I think in the RA65 but not sure if injected/carby.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 25 September 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA65 = EFI

Look at the 22R another way: the 2.6 litre Gemini engine found in 90s Rodeos seems to respond alright to boost..
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only driven the 22re (fuel injected) celica gts 5spd and it was a nice torquey feeling motor. Pulled strong throughout the rev range for a n.a. 4cyl. Ultra relaible too.
Become monsters once turbocharged....
http://www.sdsefi.com/features/sept00celica.htm
http://www.sdsefi.com/features/sept01toy.htm
luked
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do 22RZE engines go for and what power do they have also are the engine mounts the same
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No such thing as a 22R-ZE. There is a 22R-TE (import only) and it has a pissweak 130hp in standard form. They are apparently torque monsters though, which is no doubt the objective since they were only found in trucks.

Don't fool yourself, the 22R in any form is no performance engine. Sure if you throw enough money at it you can get power out of any engine, but there are much better (read: cheaper) places to start.
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 20:26

just supercharge it with a 350 holley, youll get 200hp but it wont be pretty Very Happy

HAHAHAHA Laughing Laughing Laughing
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

depends on "what is a perforance engine" in your book.
22re + header + t3/t4 + fmic + standalone runs mid 12s in full weight 83 celica daily driven. No cams, no headwork. Whats 'less expensive' on a "performance engine" that performs no better ? Nothing
We can call it anything we want, just make sure you call it a respectable fast street car. Torque works wonders for acceleration, ask the turbo buick v6 and starion 2.6 guys with their 'non-performance engines'.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 18:36

Sure if you throw enough money at it you can get power out of any engine

I guess you missed that part of my post? Smile
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and you missed this part of mine Smile

"Whats 'less expensive' on a "performance engine" that performs no better ?"

elaborate please
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Sun, 26 September 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy: 1G-GTE. Smile
djmickyg
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the old quest for more power in the 22r Sad

i wana convert mine to efi, mainly for a tiny bit more fule economy.

on that note.. anyone got a spare intake manifold lying round from a corona or celica?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't look for fuel economy out of the analog style 22re efi setup. Pretty crude.

One word: Megasquirt.
ReP_XT
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i got 22re and yeah ya can't do much with this unless ya got shit laods of money it would just be easyer to drop a 1GGTE Twisted Evil as i thinking of doin Evil or Very Mad
luked
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much work involved in getting the power out of the 1G-GTE do they handle much boost in standard form
djmickyg
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
analog for the celica but the corona got a digital system

plus the stock hilux 22r tiny carb only flows around 230cmfs
the stock efi intake does something like 500 so there is room for improvemnt with it.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 11:03]

quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is a 1g-gte the answer..... what are your goals ?
First what is a 1g-gte... is that a 2.0L I6 twin turbo ??
If so, don't be at all surprised if a boosted 22re smacks that "performance engine" all over the road. This sorta stuff is very common.
For those of you looking for a quick 22r street car, here is something to consider. You might be better off in the long run.

If you have a healthy 22re, you buy;
custom manifold (not a log) ~$400-550
A used ford 60trim T3 or 7m ct26 $150-200
standalone ecu $900
fmic and piping costs the same for any motor, so we'll omit that.

Run this setup at 10psi against a 1G maxed out on its twins and I bet the 22re smokes it (close to 300 ft-lbs of torque). Yes the 9:1 or whatever it is, will lower detonation threshold, but programmable tuning helps a lot more than the 1g ecu. The compression would make the turbo very responsive. 22re was use alot in the states so you could find out roughly stock piston limits, also aftermarket available when you were ready.

Say the 1G now wants to play ball. He now needs an ecu + header + turbo to try and keep up, and he still will fall well short of the 22r torque.

Now the 22re guy hyrids his ct26 or t3 (either, now 3-400 hp/tq capable), goes for pistons and 18-20psi.
Game over

And if u wanted to go there, sohc cam cost $175 & springs $65. Price a set of cams/springs for these "performance engines".... often 4 x the cost, and the gain still not as dramatic an the 'non-performance' motors. Add this to the price of the 1G powerplant and the 'conversion'.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Mon, 27 September 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quest wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 04:34

If you have a healthy 22re, you buy;
custom manifold (not a log) ~$400-550
A used ford 60trim T3 or 7m ct26 $150-200
standalone ecu $900

Obviously these prices are in US dollars. Add the cost of the stuff you missed (eg turbo oil/coolant lines, injectors, ECU tuning) and convert it to AU dollars and suddenly $2.5k for a 1G-GTE front cut looks like a good deal. 210hp out of the box, 250hp with a good exhaust and a bleed valve.

I know people in the US don't like "grey import" engines like the 1G, and there are lots of performance parts available for the 22R over there, but it's a very different story here!
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even in the unlikely event that one would "settle" with a 1g at 210-250hp, I think you are better off boosting a 22re.

370s or 440s to feed a t3 or ct26 cost next to nothing used. Steel oil and cloth reinf'd drain lines are dirt cheap.
Only pistons and cam, mentioned is 22re specific.... everything else applies to both motors for similiar level of performance.

With the 1g, you buy a closed door, then have to spend the same money on a hdr, turbo and ecu, to open it.... and throw away said 1g parts u just paid for in motorset. Worse, you're left with front cut bill, conversion cost, and a 2L (with expensive valvetrain upgrade costs, if...).
Only plus I see is; 6 cylinder smoothness, turbo pistons and the 'cool factor'. Worth it ?

Seen lotsa folks with the exact same "performance engine" mindset as you, swap out their "non-performance" truck motor (KA24DE) from their u.s. spec Nissan s13/s14, for silvia "performance engine" (SR20DET).
All the hi-strung sr20 run cams + intake manifolds etc.. Others turbo their mostly bone stock KA24s (some do rods/pistons only). Guess which ones cost substantially more in modifications and are consistently outgunned ? Hint; its the guys that didn't boost their "non-performance" motors.
Sounds familiar ?
...a different viewpoint
djmickyg
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u really think a STOCK 22re will last long with 10psi running thru it?

i think ur missing alot of little hidden costs here as Norbie said.
batteryman
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a mate who only just 2 weeks ago turboed his 22R in his Hilux. He spent $4,600 to get 126hp at the wheels. He originally only wanted a low boost (6psi) setup but now is going to go for a bigger turbo etc and build a stronger engine for it.

I can tell you at this level the injectors are already maxed out and the turbo is way too small. Makes max boost at just over 2,000rpm.

Forgot to mention his setup:

GT Forester turbo
Custom Intercooler
Semi decent exhaust manifold (done on the cheap)
EMS Stinger computer
Celica injection manifold

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 06:15]

djmickyg
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$4,600 for 126hp seems hardly worth it.

is it still carby?

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4600 thats way to much to spend on a 22r

my v8 conversion in my hilux cost nearly half that
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what 'other' little hidden costs, explain.... did I not cover those ? (and you need 6 injectors for your 1g btw).

You guys can go ahead and do as you like. Swap it. I can't explain it to you any better. Heck, thousands have done it and are still at it. Sure they wind up with a fast car, but.... they could have gone even faster for ALOT less money spent on the "non-performance" motor. I'm not asking if this is the way it is, its been proven over and over again.... but obviously you guys aren't hearing it. Thats fine.

Tuning determines what boost stock cast pistons will take. 10psi, why not ? All these other non-turbo motors take it. Boosting non-turbo 9.0 -10.5:1 oe motors have become a way of life this side of the globe - people are awake. Low budget setups with EXCELLENT results. Majority of 'em tuned via piggybacks or prog oe ecu. Most folks in the u.s. learn tuning themselves.

Here's an example. There was an invitation 400hp sport compact shootout publicized in the most popular u.s. magazine. The top favoured candidates were "built to the hilt" (with every performance goodie pumped into them) nissan sr20 and honda b18, and a stock internal mitsu 2.0L. A street mazda miata came from nowhere, unannounced and destroyed the competition running 10.9s. Hardware; *bone stock* unopened 1.8L junkyard motor + t3/4 + fmic + standalone. Nearest competitor ran 12.2, with a damaged ego and severly lightened wallet. Take your pick.
Good thing about this is, the choice is all yours. Have fun.

batteryman, your mates' project has issues.

ps. dunno if its still up, but that purple miata was detailed on
http://www.racingmazda.com
batteryman
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 28 September 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what you guys are saying but the thing is all the hard work has now been done. and thats to get someone else do it all. He didn't want to do it himself. To go to a bigger turbo etc will cost next to nothing as he will be able to sell what he already has.

I can't see it costing too much more to get over 200hpatw.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 19 October 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quest - that's all well and dandy, but that says nothing for reliability... i read in a local mag, (zoom for the locals) about a ta23 celica (MORBST) with some crazy turbo set up on an almost standard engine, running something like 10s, apparantly it cost them less then a grand... however, here's the rub, that's less then a grand per every few runs, 'cause they had to REPLACE the engine after a few runs, similarly, i had a remote controlled car (back in the day) i wired up 2 battery packs in serial!! with the standard motor, through a cheap speed controller, and it went like slippery shit of a shiney shovel... but the motor didn't last more then about a week... (bloody funny seeing the guys at the track gape and gawk at my dinosaur get up and go like that!!!!

so does anyone (who knows what they're talking about) have anything favourable to say about the 22r? other then the fact they make great boat achors (has anyone even tested this theory?)

i happen to have a 22r sitting at home on an engine stand, and a ra28 celica looking for more poke, but i'm considering the 1ggte, but at the same time considering the 22r....
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 19 October 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That Celica - Alex's car - interesting car that one..

My suggestion would be to play with turboing the 22R - mainly because every butthead within firing range will keep on telling you that it can't be done. It can be done, and can be made to work perfectly well!
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 19 October 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MORBST is alexs car? i figured someone around here might know about it... i only know what i read, and remembered

i've no doubt you can make a 200HP 22r... however i'm after 200Kw, and i want it on a budget, and i want it to be a simple job, nothing (overly) complex, i'm a uni student, working part time, so money is TIGHT, a 1ggte conversion could be done over time, whats more, plenty of people have used these engines with great sucess, so there's a pool of knowledge there to tap into... what more can you tell me about the 22r? where can i find parts for it, here in aus?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 19 October 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 00:35

i've no doubt you can make a 200HP 22r... however i'm after 200Kw, and i want it on a budget, and i want it to be a simple job, nothing (overly) complex

I'll probably get flamed by the 22R fans, but I'll go out on a limb and say this is outright impossible. Yes you can get 200kw from a 22R, but it won't be anywhere near simple and it most certainly can't be done on a budget!

If you want a lot of power on a budget and you want to keep it simple, there's only one way to do it: select an engine which has the power you want and swap it in. Trying to squeeze twice as much power out of an existing engine (especially when it's a NA engine) requires a lot of knowledge, patience and above all MONEY.

You've been given advice by forum members who have been there and done that - you can choose to take their advice or you can learn the hard way. Either way I'll be watching with interest. Smile
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Thu, 21 October 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well firstly i wasn't planning on keeping the 22r NA... we happen to have a turbo lyeing around somewhere, we thought we might stick that on... i've heard they like being blown (don't we all Razz)
secondly, i've got no intentions of 'winging it' with something like this, i'd like to plan it out firstly, which includes taking the opinions of people who know more then me...

btw, what is the 1ggte from originally? early supra?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Thu, 21 October 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if your knowledge is limited, and money is tight, then research is definately veeeery important. Having a turbo 'lying round' that you thought you might 'stick on' often results in disaster, however! The 1G conversion might well be a good idea, however be sure to make yourself aware/prepared for some fairly big costs regardless of what you do!
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Thu, 21 October 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well... personally, my knowledge is limited, but i know enough to keep my self out of trouble, my dad is a mechanic with 10000 yrs experience... well.. atleast 25yrs... and when i say the turbo was "lyeing" around, i believe dad had it aside to go with the 22r, but i think he half intended to put the engine in the car last time it was in our possession (long story, family thing, not a legal thing) but now i have the 1ggte option, and the fact that this time the car is mine, not my older bros...

i'm fairly confident that i'm not gonna make a huge F*** up... and i'm kinda bugeting for about $5K that's engine, g'box, diff, brakes, and suspension (if it allows) but i haven't really allowed for larger wheels to cover the brakes, tail shaft, and the other things like pads, lines, eng cert, insurance etc etc...
but i figured if i get half way there, then i can get the ball rolling i should avoid any REALLY nasty surprises... i'm not expecting a completely smooth conversion, but one with the least bumps as possible... and to be perfectly honest i'm not sure i'm even going for a conversion... i'm kinda considering a 240Z instead... but i'm not sure... might have to take one for a spin... anyhow, there's plenty of food for thought
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 22 October 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 23:48

i'm fairly confident that i'm not gonna make a huge F*** up... and i'm kinda bugeting for about $5K that's engine, g'box, diff, brakes, and suspension (if it allows)

Laughing
Well there's your first fuck-up... triple that budget and you're closer to the mark, and yes that's doing all the work yourself. This sort of thing is very expensive, and $5k doesn't get you very far at all believe me!
Anthony55
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 22 October 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello where can you buy a 22r-te from and how much?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 22 October 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try some Jap engine importers in your area. I don't like your chances though, it's an old engine and it was never really popular. I've never seen one for sale.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Fri, 22 October 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did the turbo 22R come in? Confused

I didnt even know it actually existed... Surprised
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie - Nup, if i budget $5K then i won't go over (by much) i won't do it until i can find parts to make it work... besides, you (or someone else) said front cut for about $2500 diff wouldn't be much more then 600-700 for a hilux disc rear end... maybe 1K that leaves 1500 for brakes, odds and ends, and suspension gets what's left over... for the moment, will prolly throw more money at it later...

what did the 1ggte come in originally? and how much modifying will the ra28 crossmember need to fit the 1ggte?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 18:34

Norbie - Nup, if i budget $5K then i won't go over (by much) i won't do it until i can find parts to make it work... besides, you (or someone else) said front cut for about $2500 diff wouldn't be much more then 600-700 for a hilux disc rear end... maybe 1K that leaves 1500 for brakes, odds and ends, and suspension gets what's left over... for the moment, will prolly throw more money at it later...

what did the 1ggte come in originally? and how much modifying will the ra28 crossmember need to fit the 1ggte?

1G-GTE comes in import half-cuts or as bare engines from importers - use google or other search engines (yellow pages might be a good start) to find auto parts importers. There's even an thread old thread somewhere on the site, search for "import" in the subject.

as for modifying the RA28 - search for "1G-GTE" the "tech & conversions" articles.

There are also some articles/notes about this very install in the main toymods site. Just go to <www.toymods.org.au> and inside the 'Articles' section there are 4 different articles.

... and that word once more...
search
before asking questions that many others have already asked.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before you start ramming the "search" word down my throat, i asked questions that i haven't found in search... and the question wasn't "where can i get a 1ggte" but "what did the 1ggte come in originally?" ie, when the 1ggte left the toyota factory, what vehicle was it in? surely they didn't just produce a bunch of engines and stick them in the front end of wrecked cars, so they could sell them off as front cuts?

and i asked the question about the crossmember 'cause the article says that there is no modification required to the x-member, but a number of people i've spoken to seem to think other wise, but no-one has answered my question... perhaps no-one really knows... hmmm...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 19:52

before you start ramming the "search" word down my throat, i asked questions that i haven't found in search... and the question wasn't "where can i get a 1ggte" but "what did the 1ggte come in originally?" ie, when the 1ggte left the toyota factory, what vehicle was it in? surely they didn't just produce a bunch of engines and stick them in the front end of wrecked cars, so they could sell them off as front cuts?

and i asked the question about the crossmember 'cause the article says that there is no modification required to the x-member, but a number of people i've spoken to seem to think other wise, but no-one has answered my question... perhaps no-one really knows... hmmm...

cars that may have used 1G-GTE...
this site seems to be quite comprehensive and not limited to one country:
<http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/tm_ind ex.html>
follow 'Engine' link then onto 'Models vs engines'
or via the 'Models' link on the main page.

the question seemed a bit academic as the only thing you'll find a 1G engine in is probably the warehouse of an parts importer.... sorry if i was a bit harsh.

Modification of cross member will depend on the sump of the engine - and whether you want to try an use a TA series cross member (suits a front sump 1G) or retain the RA crossmember (suits a mid sump 1G).

i think both options require repositioning of the mounts on the cross member... am pretty sure the RA member does otherwise the engine sits too high and lacks the10 degree lean to intake side requries to clear you steering/brakes.

When i eventually do my 1G install (into RA40) it will be with RA cross member and i will modify the mounts to get engine in the right spot.

but again, read up on the various installs - they will indicate what sump/cross member combination they used and what was done to the mounts welded onto the crossmember.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that, much more helpful, and thanks for clearing up the x-member issue, (assuming your right) is there any reason you'd go for the TA x-member? is it just a matter of being easier to find one compared with finding a rear sump 1g?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 18:34

Dude, take it from someone who has actually DONE several engine conversions, and been involved in many more: this sort of shit costs a lot of money. A lot. You won't get very far with $5k, and adding up the price of the base components doesn't even begin to cover the true cost of a project like this.

To give you an example, my most recent engine conversion cost over $8k, and that's doing everything as cheaply as possible, all labour done by me and friends, and it doesn't include brakes, suspension or diff (probably another $5k spent there).

But don't take my word for it - you'll find out for yourself once you get started. Smile
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myeah... i think i know your prolly right, but i don't wanna believe it i guess... may end up taking plan b) buying a (dare i say it) 240Z, or plan c) spending all the money on lollies Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soemone on hear has done it before so its not impossible

http://www.geocities.com/rs_sti/index.html
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 20:40

thanks for that, much more helpful, and thanks for clearing up the x-member issue, (assuming your right) is there any reason you'd go for the TA x-member? is it just a matter of being easier to find one compared with finding a rear sump 1g?

well.. i pulled a 1G out of an RA40 and the crossmember mounts had been modified ... and i spent hours of time reading up on other people's 1G installs... so i guess i must know a bit about it.

The TA cross member allows you to use a front-sump engine - which are more common as the 1G tended tended to be used in cars with rear-curving cross-members that had rack-n-pinion steering attached to it.

why an i staying with the RA40? for several reasons, the R series cross members are more common, there's already one in my RA40, and i already have a 1G with sump (mid-rear if we want to use the right term) to suit.

but... over to your concerns about costs - my original turbo build up of the RA40 was supposed to cost about $5-7k - total bill after the body work, engine work, turbo work etc. was nearly $14k.

Even if you went the Z option, don't think on-the-cheap will give you a reliable, good looking and fine driving road/sports car..
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Sat, 23 October 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I can say is that from my experience, these things always DO cost more than you want them to, but each time you do it things get a little easier and more cost effective, and you learn a lot. Once you get started it can be addictive Very Happy
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Wed, 27 October 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm... i'm still sceptical about it costing me a kidney, but i've no doubt you could spend a shit load of dough on it, but if you only pay for what you NEED not for what you want then i'm sure if could be done on the cheap, basically, i guess, if i was to get a front cut with all the trimmings, lets say $3000 for that. + brakes from the wreckers, suspension may need a tidy up, rebush it, exhaust, i don't know what to expect here... maybe $1K tops more likely half that... apparantly the diff can hold it if you don't drive it like a mad man... but over time i can see it consuming 10K with out to much trouble... oh well... time will only tell
Mudgutts
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, you are quick to write off the 22R engine. I will admit that they aren't a very sporty engine by today's standards. BUT, i wouldn't write them off completely.

First, you say that they don't rev much. but the only reason i can see that you'd want lots of revs is for winding up the engine in every gear. i.e. with wide ratios, you'd get higher speeds.
Bigger engine's don't need to have the ring reved out of them to produce power. (not that they're much bigger than 1.6 or 2ltrs). higher reving engine have to get to the higher rev range to start pulling, but as the yanks have found, 22R-(T)E's pull from almost idle. it's what they're designed to do.

Second, you talk about conversions costing as much as $8k. I once priced a quad cam 3ltr V6 for my Mazda 929 and with fitting, pipe work and everything - $4k.

on ebay USA, i've seen a mild cam for the 22R-E, $45USD($60AUD) plus postage. porting the head gets done here. CT26 from a 7M-GTE from a wrecker and custom manafold and exhaust done local plus oil and water cooling lines. Ebay the injectors. Ebay a throttle body. I think 22R owners would still have a lot of change from there $4k...

But, i'm still researching the 22R-(T)E for now.

I don't know if you've ever done a 22R-E, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Also, 1G-GTE is a 6cyl.. higher rego.

each to there own, but personally i'd google search for jeff's 4x4 page. although it's American, and all about 4x4's, a worked engine is a worked engine no matter what car it's in.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 22:39

quest - that's all well and dandy, but that says nothing for reliability... i read in a local mag, (zoom for the locals) about a ta23 celica (MORBST) with some crazy turbo set up on an almost standard engine, running something like 10s, apparantly it cost them less then a grand... however, here's the rub, that's less then a grand per every few runs, 'cause they had to REPLACE the engine after a few runs, similarly,

By the way morbst had a nice little N2O setup!
batteryman
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Just an update on my mates 22R turbo Hilux. He changed the turbo to a VF24, put in 7MGTE injectors and made 146kwatw. The thing is copping 18psi up high in 3rd and 4th gear and now revs to 7,000rpm. We are interested to see how long it will last like this. To date there have been no problems whatsoever.

Thats on a dead stock 230,000km engine.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jap MA70 front Indicators (full amber) - Legal?
Next Topic:Dash Lights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 15:47:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012056112289429 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.