Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Tue, 22 February 2005 15:34 Go to next message
This is from the toymods article...Is it true aobut hte silhouette? also...is it true the the RT141 whole diff bolts straight up...no mods? someone set me straight....
Quote:

So from the beginning hunt up a complete RT 141 rear diff assembly including hand brake cables (which is very important). This gives you a 23 spline BW diff which is about the same strength as your celica/corona diff - if you have a RA40 or AE86 just swap the whole diff assembly over. I am not sure about the hand brake cables for the 40/86 but everything else should work out. Another thing that I have not really investigated, but if you have a 40 or 86 you may be able to make use of an Australian Nissen Skyline Silhouette. These come with a 4 pinion 28 spline BW LSD (like a VL turbo but stronger as the VL is only 2 pinion). The whole assembly is exactly the same width as the RT141 ? you never know your luck in a big city - it all just may fit. Of course the other option is look at fitting the whole Skyline assembly, which I will be planning to do to my 23 in the future. As I seem to be breaking diffs, would like a lsd and I currently use 25mm spaces because of the offset of the wheels that I have so the additional width of the Skyline diff would be great..

Send a private message to this user    
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Tue, 22 February 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old man has a Rt141 diff for his ra40 and from the look of it it should go straight in with no mods. the silhouette diff they are the same with as far as i know but you need to costom it a bit to make it fit.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Tue, 22 February 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh rt141 diff is a step backwards.. it's a borgwarner piece of poo
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Tue, 22 February 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh except for the disks.

but really drums are fine just upgrade the fronts and if you are going to bother getting a diff upgrade make sure it is an upgrade in strength.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Getting a skyline silhoulette lsd is harder than finding the holy grail....Nissan Aust. only made 400 of these cars, and all the Datsun 1600 rally guys have snaffled them up for their upgraded rear ends.....
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dat 1600 use R160 irs and will take R180/R200 so will not take a skyline diff.Rt141 diff will fit the RA40 but will not take a skyline centre,and a skyline diff will need as many mods as an F ,G ,or a 9" for that matter to fit under a ra40, so if you want to upgrade I'd go the F for strength and weight.Discs are fairly easy to set up on a diff and I think they are definately worth the effort. But thats only my opinion.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi-lux diff and ma70 brakes all round with 5 stud... my ma45 plan anyway
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couple of things:

Bogwarmer LSDs are NOT hard to find - Falcons and Commodores are more than happy to donate them to worth causes! Even new they're not overly expensive... However, they're also not extremely nice, either Very Happy Just keep in mind that you can buy a KAAZ drop-in replacement for the 28 spline bogwarmer.

Nissan made far more than 400 silhouette R31's - you're thinking of the 'limited edition' cars.

VL turbo and V8 models use the 4 pinion, 28 spline bogwarmer, atmo sixes used the 2 pinion, 25 spline

No idiot would use a bogwarmer in their 1600 when you can adapt an R180/R200.

Having done it both ways, I'd really suggest using a Toyota diff...
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone kno if the rt141 disk setup will fit on the mark II corona diff???

brett
supra1978
Regular

February 2003
Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett,

Yes, the RT141 discs will fit the Corona MK2 rear end.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Wed, 23 February 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My advice on the Nissan LSD's (B/W) game from an unreliable source, a 1600 Datto freak who said he knows everything there is to know about them. He said that a common rear end upgrade was to use a Bluebird TRX rear live axle and a Skyline LSD, which apparently bolts straight in.
Obviously, that is all crap, and I was only adding my 2 cents to the thread to try and answer his questions. You guys know more, so chime in first !
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake conversion on ra40's...Is this TRUE? Thu, 24 February 2005 13:15 Go to previous message
No it's not all crap! This guy is talking about using a H190 Nissan diff, not anything from an R31 bogwarmer...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2ac-4af
Next Topic:jzz30 r154 conversion under way DIFF QUESTION ADDED
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 11:29:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005781888961792 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.