Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm going to jump in and say this.

22R-E engines are poo.
The level of work required and the extensive stress put on one to reach ~148kW atw would yeild such greater results from other motors - even the old dinosaur 18RG.

FOr example. Stock 1g-gte stuck into an RA28 celica, its a simple conversion, many here have done it. Add a little boost (15psi), and wow - suddenly you have that ~140rwkW figure. Add more boost and an aftermarket computer and go up to 180rwkW, add bigger turbos and watch the power RIIIIIISE.
all the while that 22R-E is wringing itself to get that 150rwkW, and wont be going too much further without some serious modification.

Man the yanks really hate engine swaps..... you really have NO IDEA what you are missing out on!!
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Interesting stuff.

So how much could you expect from an old dinosaur 18RG with a turbo? It's a 2ltr engine like the 1G, and if you've got no room to put in the 1G then an 18RG is the likely candidate. Which brings me to another question, the 3TGTE is 1.8ltr, isn't it? Can you get more out of it than a turb'd 18RG.

I'm just fishing around for answers and options while I think about a project car.

seeyuzz
river
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river,

it all depends on how much money you want to throw at each.

Im slowly building (read: still collecting parts) a turbo 18RGE with an aim for 400hp. This is quite attainable and has been done before by a few people both in Aus and the states with different setups. JustenGT4 used to have a turbo 18rg which was around 400hp using some rather low comp pistons and ~20psi on stock intake manifold, IIRC.

A 3t-gte will not be too far behind an 18RG, but of course the 18rg has the advantage of capacity already and thus would be ahead to begin with. The main restrictions with both engines are their stock manifolds, to get decent power out of either engine they really should be custom made.

It's really a matter of what you want to do, what you want to achieve, what $$$ you have, and what car you have.

The cheapest will usually always be the straight 1ggte swap, depending on the chosen car of course. If building either the 3tgte or 18rgte then its a matter of personal choice and what fits... both will require the same sort of work Wink

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meeeh bin them all go the 3S-GTE/GE
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now thats the money shot Very Happy
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Tue, 22 February 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllyyyyyyy yyyyy Rolling Eyes

hmmmmmmm... i might have to investigate the feasibility of replacing my 18r, with my 22r...

i'd do it tomorrow, but i wanna save my money for suspension, brakes, diff... and eventually... a 1GG....

hmmmm ponderous.... very ponderous
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 200hp 22r Wed, 23 February 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 10:22

meeeh bin them all go the 3S-GTE/GE

What he said Very Happy
Mudgutts
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 200hp 22r Wed, 23 February 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 08:56

It's really a matter of what you want to do, what you want to achieve, what $$$ you have, and what car you have.

The cheapest will usually always be the straight 1ggte swap, depending on the chosen car of course. If building either the 3tgte or 18rgte then its a matter of personal choice and what fits... both will require the same sort of work Wink

ummm, if it's the cheapest way, then why do earlier posts to this thread say it can cost $5k and up?

I think a read of these two web sites should help anyone looking at a 22R build up.

http://www.well.com/user/mosk/
also see
http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/22 r_tech_notes.htm
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Wed, 23 February 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine cost $6k with a bigger intercooler, full stainless exhaust and IC piping and changing nearly every seal and hose on the damn thing. I'd MUCH rather a 1GGTE than anything you throw at a dinosaur 22RE.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 200hp 22r Wed, 23 February 2005 05:35 Go to previous message
$5k and you have a motor making more power than a 22re with $5k thrown at it, and potentional to make so much more again!!

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jap MA70 front Indicators (full amber) - Legal?
Next Topic:Dash Lights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 20:57:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045340061187744 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.