Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
5ME to 5MGE Swap Mon, 21 February 2005 11:32 Go to next message
MA61..
just finding out wat troubles i might encoutner along the way.. how long do u think it would take to do if i worked on it full time.. like from the start of the day to late at night.. the most time consuming part? 5ME clutch and fly will compatable with 5MGE??

Cheers Nick
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Mon, 21 February 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meeeh its easy, but better off to get a 7m-ge and you could run that off the 5m-e ecu (done it with a 6m-ge dont see why a 7m-ge would be any harder) 7m-ge's are more common in availabity and free status.. get a few shaged freebies and throw a good one together.

Allan
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Mon, 21 February 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you want to hobble a 7M-GE with a piece of crap like the 5M-E ECU? Sure it would work to a point, but the VE curve of the two engines wouldn't even be close so it's far from ideal. The 7M-GE engine management is quite simple, you'd be much better off swapping that in.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Mon, 21 February 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just want to put in a 5MGE because its bloody simple and now that uni has started i don't want to have my car off the road for months and months on end, plus i have heard that the 5MGE convertion is straight forward and i want to upgrade from the 5ME for obvious reasons. Eventually i will get a turbo supra engine but for now.. i am in the learning process!! but still neither of u have advised me on my actual project!! anyone else got nay info ??
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Mon, 21 February 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 5m-ge is easy attach the loom from your 5m-e to the 5m-ge, depending on what the 5m-ge come from maybe modify the dizzy and add an idle up valve.

re norbie: i would not bother with the 7m-ge loom as its a stop gap measure till he fully upgrades thus would do it as cheap and nasty as possable

Allan
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is that my only hurdle ??
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its about as easy as it gets

Allan
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how long u reckon it will take... and i know its a kind of how long is a piece of string Q but i mean if i spent all day and nights doing it. i am aiming at less than 1 week? does that sound like a good time alocation or wat ?
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As i asked before is the 5ME clutch and fly adaptable ot the 5MGE ?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. I'm still using my 5me fly and a 4puck on my 7mgte.

Time allocation wise, I've got no clue. But these things always take longer than you think it will.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will buy the engine and just doodle around wiht it for a while cleaning it up ETC ETC just wanky shit u do whenu get an egine, then come hte time i will pull the 5ME out swap the 5ME clutch/Fly to the 5MGE then bolt her in and wire her up, is there the same wires and other eletrical peices the same to wire up or am i gunna hit a brick wall there aswell!!
avt67
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am currently doing the same swap and the only problems so far is with the power steering hose needing to be lengthened and a new intake from afm to throttle body being made. But if you can fix these and you have a couple of friends you could probably do the swap in a weekend or 3 days.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are competent and work all day and all night it shouldn't take you more than a couple of days. its a piece of piss upgrade. just try not to break anything.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think yer supra has inspired me!!
MS112
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Tue, 22 February 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 23:03

meeeh its easy, but better off to get a 7m-ge and you could run that off the 5m-e ecu (done it with a 6m-ge dont see why a 7m-ge would be any harder) 7m-ge's are more common in availabity and free status.. get a few shaged freebies and throw a good one together.

Allan

Hello
I have one question: I plan to do an upgrade like TRD_Supra with the exception I'd prefer to go the 7M -- still suffering uni of course -- as an upgrade for the Crown.

On that subject of running a 7M motor off a 5M ECU, I have read a file (here) about the 7M's ignition system which seems to hint that the ECU controls the ignition timing.

Of course, as I was typing my question I just found and confirmed with a picture that only the 7M-GTE uses the DLI ignition system. I am now a much happier bloke! Laughing

Back on topic, I take it that this is accomplished by using the 5M intake manifold? From everything I have read about the M motor just about everything swaps. I ask because I am curious to know how it is done.

The 7M-GE management and engine sensors otherwise are more advanced than what the 5M ECU is capable of taking...? Well so I think Laughing

---

One interesting perk of my engine upgrade is now (knowing the 7M-GE has in fact got a distributor) I can pretty much buy the engine and bolt it in (well, I hope). The reason is the 82 Crown I have is equipped with LPG and is currently running a 5M-E. When I run on LPG the injectors are shut off so the ECU is basically doing nothing to run the engine. This way, I can pay around $850 for an imported motor (according to Renew Auto) and get it working on LPG -- then get the ECU, wiring etc to run it on petrol later.

Which I probably never will use petrol. It costs me $20-25 to fill up in Melbourne compared to the $60-70 I'd pay for unleaded. I get the same economy on LPG too. Very Happy
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but u dont get the POWER which is Ph33rd!!!!! Rolling Eyes

Eventually i will goto a 7M Turbo but for now i just want to get rid of the 2.8 cause it sucks shit!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS112 wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 01:14

Back on topic, I take it that this is accomplished by using the 5M intake manifold? From everything I have read about the M motor just about everything swaps. I ask because I am curious to know how it is done.

The 7M-GE management and engine sensors otherwise are more advanced than what the 5M ECU is capable of taking...? Well so I think Laughing

Pretty sure the way to do it is to use the 7mge inlet etc as per stock, and swap the existing 5me sensors into/onto that manifold.

I don't think a 5me manifold will fit a 7m either....

Cheers
Wilbo
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
avt67 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 21:57

But if you have a couple of friends you could .

That's where he will run into problems Very Happy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you find a short body 5m dizzy spin the shaft down stick the 7m gear on and run the 5m ignition system, and then swap all the sensors and so forth over aswell.

would probably not run great but better then a tired 5m-e
MS112
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks to Wilbo and Allan for your information. Hadn't thought that the actual sensors could be swapped...Should know better about Toyota's compatability Very Happy

TRD_Supra wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 11:10

but u dont get the POWER which is Ph33rd!!!!! Rolling Eyes

Eventually i will goto a 7M Turbo but for now i just want to get rid of the 2.8 cause it sucks shit!

No, not leet speak! *spew*

Heh, the 7M-GE is rated at what, 142kw? Compared to the 86kw from the 5M-E...I'm not complaining, you compare that figure with a 3.3L 202 Holden at 86kw and see the efficiency!

Of course, I know I don't get quite the same power as on LPG, but since the new motor will be using it, it's still going to be a vast improvement on hill climbing and towing atleast Very Happy

As for racing friends...Unlikely, unless I turbo the engine. Yeah, if I beat them though they will commit suicide. Everyone I've met seems to have a large level of disgust for the Crown. Buggered if I know why Rolling Eyes
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5ME stock is 103KW where did u get 86 from its not a bloody 4AGE or a 202 Wink Rolling Eyes
MS112
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My value comes from the classicrown site on the mengines page
http://groups.msn.com/classicrown/mengines.msnw.

The figure is given in hp but I converted it to kw.

Where did you get your figure from? There's probably a proformance difference between Supra and Crown versions.

And don't worry I wasn't saying that a 202 was the same as a 5M, just that they had (until now I thought) similar power ratings.

Cheers
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 202 has many variants the top producing 109kw black motor with EFI lowest 81kw red motor
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
many versions of 5m-e check the size of the throttle body some come with the small others come with the large, and then there is compression differences

check out members.optusnet.com.au/ma45 see if your 5m sounds close to that.

Allan
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also some stuff on http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read mine from the Advertising Brouche for the australia model celicas/supra of that era.. the 22re has 88kw and the 5me has 103kw
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mk2 Supra 5ME's definetly had 103kW.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a good day. Rolling Eyes
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well yes, norbie has a good point there.
and even 'if' they did get that much power from the factory, how many of them would be anywhere near that now???
i'll bet three fifths of fuck all!
and before someone jumps down my throat, yes, i do drive a 5ME powered supra.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Wed, 23 February 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very few if any!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Thu, 24 February 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look i know u all think a 5ME is a heap of shit... but persoanlly it isn't that bad.. its not hte quickest i know and very car from it, but still it goes ok there are loits of newer cars i can beat.. for example a Galant GSR the 4G63 model i can eat them.. but that is why i want a 5MGE cause i know the 5ME ain't that fast, but still its ok... there are worse.... 21r for example
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Thu, 24 February 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look i know u all think a 5ME is a heap of shit... but persoanlly it isn't that bad.. its not hte quickest i know and very car from it, but still it goes ok there are loits of newer cars i can beat.. for example a Galant GSR the 4G63 model i can eat them.. but that is why i want a 5MGE cause i know the 5ME ain't that fast, but still its ok... there are worse.... 21r for example
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Thu, 24 February 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 22:18

5mge has like 15 more horsepower man...its gonna make fuck all difference to how it goes!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Thu, 24 February 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd be surprised, every 5MGE I've driven shits all over any 5ME I've driven. Mine you, they were all Jap-spec 175hp versions.

As for beating that Galant...what do you expect, he has a 2l engine and probably just as much weight. A turbo one of those and you'll get munched.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Thu, 24 February 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 00:19

You'd be surprised, every 5MGE I've driven shits all over any 5ME I've driven. Mine you, they were all Jap-spec 175hp versions.

As for beating that Galant...what do you expect, he has a 2l engine and probably just as much weight. A turbo one of those and you'll get munched.

aus spec 5mges had 145 hp or something...which if you go by toyotas specs is a whole 5 more hp! Shocked whoa! PHAT swap!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Thu, 24 February 2005 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will also be cheaper on fuel.. and it ha shad a pretty easy life. But i still assume there will be a noticeable difference even if it isn't huge i still want my supra to be the way it shuld have been!!! none of this 5ME crap!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having done this conversion, i can say figures are shit.
5mge goes much harder than any 5me ive ever driven.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trd Supra I would save your time and your money and just sit it out til you can afford your turbo motor.

I converted my 68 Crown to 7M yeah it goes alot harder but I have spent good money on what will just get thrown out when I go turbo later. You only really would want to do one engine conversion to a car.

Just another perspective.

I just seen what I've spent on it and what I've got to spend to go turbo. I shouldn't of gone GE I don't regret it but if I did it again I would go straight to GTE.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the main reason he is doing isn't so much for the extra power he is doing the easyest swap posible to gain experience for when he does a turbo conversion.
Well thats the way i understood it.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but if theres nothing wrong with the 5me, why piss money up against the wall by doing a poxy 5mge conversion? rather than saving it and going turbo when you can afford it?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 07:07]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can also confirm a 5M-GE goes a shiteload better than a 5M-E. It's not a big upgrade but it's still worthwhile.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would tend to agree, although i think the 5mge is not a bad swap, the only reason i even considered it was because i got the parts for nothing.
MS112
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Fri, 25 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a tribute the 5M, from experience and this thread it is a hard motor to kill!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Sat, 26 February 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are a few reasons..
1. I have never done a swap and i want to learn (main reason)
2. the complete motor is a very good price
3. its better than a 5ME
4. its cheaper to run on petrol
5. Its how the supra should b
6. it will go harder
7. Umm i dunno

so there are several reasons y i want to do it. I know i will do a 7M turbo later on but i want to start somewhere simple so i can learn a bi plus i don't haev the money to do anything bigger than wat i am doing!!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Sat, 26 February 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plus i have also had people say that when i put my foot into the 5ME it starts to blow a bit of black smoke then it starts to turn blue at about 5000rpm on wards
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME to 5MGE Swap Sat, 26 February 2005 22:58 Go to previous message
What are the eletrics like to hook up ? basically the same as the 5ME ?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TRD Brake Pads on SW20
Next Topic:are these brakes standard??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 05:11:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011735916137695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.