Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 10:05 Go to next message
hey guys, i dont usually say much in this forum, mainly a reader then a poster. now its time i make a choise about what i want 2 do with my ride.

current situation:

i got a 90 model celica SX. 5S-FE engine in it. running a cat back exhaust and a K&N pod. i was thinking about putting extractors with hi-flow cat and putting a chip which should set me back around $13,000. And if i m not satisfied with the power output i might consider porting and polishing.

ALTERNATIVE 1:

buy a GT4 (3S-GTE)front cut and get someone 2 put it in for me and keep it stock (FWD)and just put a BOV and exhaust. run the actual GT4 EMS.

ALTERNATIVE 2:

buy a actual GT4.

I have a budget of around $3500 may be $4000. now i was thinking what would u guys suggest? buy or convert or work the existing 5S-FE. i stil want an everyday reliable drive without having 2 replace parts or keeping the car in a garage 4 months.

any help on this matter would b valued highly. thanking in advance.

Aka.

Send a private message to this user    
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save a bit more cash and buy a nice GT4.
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well yeah if i m 2 buy a GT4 i could make a bit more extention on my budget to 5K.
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well current situtation is just not worth it, its a 5s-fe (camry engine)

alternative 1 will end up setting you back about $5-6 anyways.

i like the erd alternative, but what about if you sell your current vechile? you could add the total of that ontop of the current $4k budget
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go GT4. What will a conversion like that be with insurance?

And it might be hard to sell, too
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4 no question. FWD conversions = pain. Very Happy
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Thu, 17 February 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1481

Do it, do it now. Before the 15year rule ends
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like u guys r in favour of buying a GT4, its just i love the look of my ride, its a coupe. kinda looks like a S15 and i got rid of that stupid little spoiler that came with the car. i dono if any of u guys went 2 d official toyota cruise i was there with my white celica with aGT4 bonet, supra side skirts, 17s chrome.

i was just thinking if i did do the conversion it would be lighter then a actual GT4 which is around 1490kg, and celicas r 1260kg. not 2 sure about how a FWD would handle 150kw engine. i dont really want a 180sx or a silvia as i m more of a toyota guy.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the money you have to spend you are really giving yourself no option but to buy a GT4 half-cut and install that. But it will always cost more than you budget. And the conversion is a pain, as said already.
Buying a GT4 is a better option in so many ways.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did a 3sgte conversion im happy with it.. aint been a gt4 that can beat me with the same mods.. from lights yer of course but rolling start.. just depends wat u want to do with the car.. the 205 will give me a touch up but i aint seen any to find out

if you want reliability dont do a converion.. gt4 is the money for that or drive ur car as it is

the celica with a 185 conversion will blow silvias , 180's and 32's away

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 03:55]

F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks 4 that guys. ive been also looking at soarers 2.5TT models. they seem to be around the same price range as a GT4. what do u guys think of them? reliable, performance, handeling, fule economy, parts wise?

i havent decided on anything as yet. just keeping my options open. for around $12K there r GT4s and soarers on the market.

Aka!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends wat u call fuel economy i think u can throw that out the door if u choose to modify a turbo enigne

i think the soarer is more the luxury turbo car leather etc etc etc. but capable of alot of power if you haev money to modify it

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:57]

Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 07:42

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1481

Do it, do it now. Before the 15year rule ends

yes do that, best part is you just pay the fob and $1k fee up front then u got 2 months to get the rest of the cash together
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 14:50

i did a 3sgte conversion im happy with it.. aint been a gt4 that can beat me with the same mods..

Sorry Guys but im with berad.. i did the conversion , and yeah that aint many silvias or 32 with same mods that are quicker, and the launch has got to do with ya clutch.. of course if you wind up 5k RPM and dump then yes u will spin, but if you drive normal , then its fine!!
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm well if conversion is such a problem i would stay away from it. but only if i knew how 2 post a picture of it up then i wouldve so u can see why i like it so much.

as 4 soarer if i did get 1 then i would probably just put nice rims, a full 3inch exhaust, BOV and a nice size front mount. i m not really after big power but as long as it eats S or SS commi or XR6/8s i will b happy with that.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Fri, 18 February 2005 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a guy i know has a 2.5 turbo toyota, but its badged as a lexus, as far as i know, a windsheild for the thing was upwards of $800...

which, unless your made of gold, is a bit excessive, plus they just look ugly, the whole seperate light idea is the shits...

im by no means knowledgable about gt4's but when i was asking about one, i was told to stay away because they are unreliable, if this is wrong, ill go and kick the person that told me in the balls Smile

id just stay with the current celica, or sell that and get maybe a nice aw11 or even sw20 MR2, same shit as a celica Smile
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Mon, 21 February 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
conversion is not a pain if u have a fair idea about the mechanical side of things its quite basic. bolts straight in you can use a number of gearboxs that bolt to the 3sgte. and if you got some extra cash pay someone to do it real basic then Razz
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Wed, 23 February 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive pretty much made up my mind about the conversion. just have 2 fix up a total budget.

hey Berad....... ive got a few things i wana ask u and so on.... u mind giving me ur mob no so i can call u and find out more about ths conversion???

unless u wanna call me?

as for any once else what kind of problems pop up when u r doing an engine conversion??? what kind of budget should i keep in mind? do i need 2 get Engineers certificate?

i rang this place up and i can get a GT4 front cut for $1990, and i have a mate who can put it in for me. so what other expenses am i looking at?
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Wed, 23 February 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey! can you keep us up to date...? I'd also like to know how much all this costs, and the problems associated and stuff..? I am also very interested and this would really help from a first hand account of what goes on...thanks.
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Wed, 23 February 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will do Blah_00

i just need more people to fill me in on what sort of things i might encounter. ups and downs. i m not fussed about getting big powers out of the GT4 motor. just need a daily driver with a bit of punch if needed.
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Wed, 23 February 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you read ya P.Ms F.C.U.K more often you would see that i sent you one last week regardin this issue, i hav dont the conversion and am will in to help you or anyone else with the dramas involved with this conversion.. well i hav offered!!

[Updated on: Wed, 23 February 2005 07:48]

F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Buy a GT4 or do a CONVERSION! Wed, 23 February 2005 11:41 Go to previous message
SXY184 wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 18:47

If you read ya P.Ms F.C.U.K more often you would see that i sent you one last week regardin this issue, i hav dont the conversion and am will in to help you or anyone else with the dramas involved with this conversion.. well i hav offered!!

hey champ sorry about that...

add me 2 ur msn (fanciful_charmer@hotmail.com) or give me ur mob # and i wil contact u, and thankx again 4 offering ur help.

really do appreciate it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ GTE --> AE92 Seca SX?
Next Topic:4agze idle issues
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 18:43:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063180923461914 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.