Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
surge tank piping Sat, 19 February 2005 12:04 Go to next message
just a quick one guys and yes i have searched but i need a moe specific answer...

with the surge tank it has 3 inserts at the top. obviously 2 are in to the surge and one out. but which one i which or more so which pipe should i place where?

should i do it like this:
- very top insert is surge back to main tank
- middle one is engine return to surge
- bottom is main to surge with lift pump in the middle

should the piping be configured in a different way? OR it doesnt really matter?

also with the lift pump do you guys have that connected directly to your ignition OR sun it with the same wiring as the high pressure pump?

i got the VL turbo pump which is controlled by the haltech F9

thanks peoples Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: surge tank piping Sat, 19 February 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 22:04

- very top insert is surge back to main tank
- middle one is engine return to surge
- bottom is main to surge with lift pump in the middle

This is the way to do it.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank piping Sat, 19 February 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummmmmm just trying to figure it out if you did it like that you would have no way for the fuel to actually go out the surge tank to the motor. I would paste you a pick of my setup as i have four fittings on it. 1 on the bottom side of the tank, 2 at the top of the tank 1 below another on the side and 1 right on top of the tank.

-On top is return line back to the fuel tank
-Top on the side is the return line from the motor
-Second down on the side is pre pump feed into the surge tank
-Bottom on side is feed line into the motor which my main efi pump sits on.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=60206&start=0&rid=51&S=d40481ae9701b af3b8da486755b7babf

My surge tank has the fittings setup like the one in this link

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2005 21:58]

Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: surge tank piping Sat, 19 February 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe this 3 fitting type allows for -

Top: Return to main tank

Middle: Feed from lift pump

Bottom: Feed to high pressure pump

+ Return from engine just dumps back into main tank ??

Lift pump should probably run when high pressure pump is on.

Correct me if i'm wrong

Cheers
-Phil
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: surge tank piping Sat, 19 February 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 23:04

with the surge tank it has 3 inserts at the top.

If you slowed down and read this properly you would have realized that he wasn't talking about the outlet for the engine just the 3 holes at the top of the tank

Fade-e
wire the 2 pumps together

Ben
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhhhh now i get it, it was a big day yesterday fishing and not actually catching anything
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siktoy ra23 wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 09:46

fade-e wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 23:04

with the surge tank it has 3 inserts at the top.

If you slowed down and read this properly you would have realized that he wasn't talking about the outlet for the engine just the 3 holes at the top of the tank

Fade-e
wire the 2 pumps together

Ben

thats right, i have the main feed for the motor right at the bottom but thats an obvious answer so i didnt mention it. sorry guys for that i though it was just common, though i have seen surges with just 3 lines but mine is 4 with 3 right up top directly under each other

fattony: i dont seem to have permission to view that thread Confused

so with the lift i run it with the high pressure hey, there wont be an issue of the haltech over pumping the lift pump? im gonna get a pierburg pump...
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have the volume of your two pumps reasonably closely matched if you can. Extra flow from the lift pump is not a big deal though as it simply goes back to your main tank.

Callum

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 02:37]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will want the lift pump to pump more if the rail is not returning to surge...

the bonus is that the EFI pump is working against 40psi or so, whereas the lift pump is free flowing with no resistance (except head heights)

easy to test... run the EFI pump for say..2 minutes pumping thru the pressure reg/rail and see what it flows.. the free flow the lift pump.. hold containers next to each other.. lift should be more Very Happy
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img110.exs.cx/img110/9818/fuelsys1id.gif

this is the setup i'm running (2 litre turbo RWD 1981 lancer, both pumps are external), works fine. i think as long as the drain back to tank is the highest and the lift pump isn't heading directly towards the supply pump's inlet (cavitation kills pumps) and the supply pump's inlet is at the bottom it should be fine.

cheers
Matt
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your better of with the 4 plug system on the surge tank as i have seen cars without them and ususally they have to swap from 3 to 4 just becuase all the unused fuel that you are pumping into the fuel system is going back into the main tank not the surge, so it genrally means your lift pump deosnt have to work no where near as hard if you got the return going back into the surge and then only when that fills does the main fuel tank get some petrol back.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: surge tank piping Sun, 20 February 2005 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet thanks guys for all the help. i went to super cheap but they dont seem to have the pierburg fuel pump so i am going to check out autobarn today. i need to get this pump before i can get my braided fuel lines made Confused

the only issue is that this bloody rain in SYD the past couple days aint helping much

EDIT: when looking for the pierburg pump is thee a specific model number i should be after? or should i just ask for one that will flow at bout 40-60PSI

[Updated on: Sun, 20 February 2005 18:56]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: surge tank piping Tue, 22 February 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys i need just a bit more info on this. more so the lift pump.

i went today to check out lift/pre pumps and they are all rated at like 6-7psi. these are electric fuel pumps. is this what i need? or do i require higher rating one?

the carter pump they had was 7psi. doesnt the high pressure pump run at like 40psi? and therefore if i wire them together to the haltech wouldnt the lift get over loaded?

thanks people

cheers
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank piping Tue, 22 February 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fade-e, what the parts guys are showing you are CARBY type fuel pumps.

What you require, for a lift pump, is just a base model EFI pump. Then you use your big BOSCH, or WALBRO HP pump.

regards Chuck.
GTS_215KW
Occasional Poster

June 2003

Re: surge tank piping Tue, 22 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lift pumps are generally low pressure high flow units. (thats not to say you couldnt use a efi pump as a lift pump though)
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: surge tank piping Tue, 22 February 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i can use a fuel pump from any car really?
GTS_215KW
Occasional Poster

June 2003

Re: surge tank piping Wed, 23 February 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep. as long as it flows enough fuel it should be fine.

Smile
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: surge tank piping Wed, 23 February 2005 06:40 Go to previous message
sorry guys already did a search and couldnt get an exact answer. i'm in the same position as fade-e and i have an ae82 twinky efi fuel pump. i was just wondering is this a suitable lift pump? this will be running to a surge tank then a vl fuel pump powering a mild 4age.

thanks guys.

sab

ps sorry for thread jacking fade-e but i think its relevant Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sorry to ask again i need the stock maps for the beams 3sge motor
Next Topic:Offering $500 to wire up computer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:01:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076220035552979 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.