Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Fri, 06 August 2004 16:08 Go to next message
Considering everything, would it be better of to absolutly bomb the 18r-g i have to the max, or go all the way with 1ggte, new diff, g/b, brakes everything?
The RA40 is a wee bit sluggish, and im bored..and have cash..
so ya know Very Happy
lol a workin man with nothin to spend it on
Sweet 16 can be tooooo much fun
But does anyone have a rough cost, pricelist to do the conversion?
or a rough price to bomb out an 18r-g
Thanx
Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sat, 07 August 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id say go with the 1g gte straight away, thats the smart idea...
its already turbo.. and will make a whack more power than ur 18r ever will.
doing all the work yourself with a better intercooler and exhaust and few other small things look at around 5000-6500 for conversion i would say
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sat, 07 August 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ggte Smile
u'll love it
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sat, 07 August 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An engine conversion will be a very hard job, but the difference is at the end you'll have a reasonably quick car compared to an 18RG powered RA40 that will, well, still suck.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sat, 07 August 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that all depends on how confident you feel. In a celica I'd say it was reasonably straight forward especially with the amount of guides there are around.

I agree with others though that it would be a waste of time and money to work the 18RG. SSS Automotive in Sydney sell a complete 1GGTE package for $900; 140+ kW for $900 is a lot of bang for buck.

Search the forums and net for guides Steve. I wrote the first conversion guide and although that was about 6 years ago nothing much has changed. Others have wrote some even better guides since then.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sun, 08 August 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 08:05

Well that all depends on how confident you feel. In a celica I'd say it was reasonably straight forward especially with the amount of guides there are around.

I agree with others though that it would be a waste of time and money to work the 18RG. SSS Automotive in Sydney sell a complete 1GGTE package for $900; 140+ kW for $900 is a lot of bang for buck.

Search the forums and net for guides Steve. I wrote the first conversion guide and although that was about 6 years ago nothing much has changed. Others have wrote some even better guides since then.

there ya go Smile
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sun, 08 August 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, go the 1G route of engines Steve, much better performance, economy and reliability compared to an 18RG worked off it's nanas to get the same performance out of it. Given your age, driving experience, insurance woes, and costs, I'd recommend the 1GGE for you. When you decide you want more in a few years time, you can easily swap in a 1GGTE without hassles that way.
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sun, 08 August 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rgeu.... + turbo...8 valves is where it's at. Traditional.
I'm going from 4age turbo to 3tc na Wink

each to their own though.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Sun, 08 August 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a big fan of the 18R-G, I think it's an underrated engine these days and it has heaps of potential if you're willing to put the work in. Having said that, the 1G is a far better bang-for-your-buck proposition, and probably easier in the long run as well. If you're new to the game, I'd recommend the 1G.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 1G engine package (no gear box totally standard engine ecu etc) cost $700 from SSS and is making 150rwkw. with just a simple bleed.

Sure you can get an 18rg to perform like that but it will cost you. If you spent the money needed to get an 18r to make that power and you could have a 200-250rwkw 1G.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm 1G or 18R-G now where have I come across that delema before... Rolling Eyes

The 18R-GEU I have has had quite a few dollars spent on it (2-3 grand) and really needs to have an after market computer setup on it (more $$$) to see and real gains from where it is now. that being said it is a good engine but for me to go any further with it is rather pointless from a point of view of bang for buck. the next step for me (using the mechanical knowledge I've learnt from playing with the 18R-G) Is to go the 1G route. A personally I blame Gold28 for this change Razz .

But comparing My engine to say Gold28's It's chalk and cheese in nearly every respect.

I do however Agree with Norbie that the 18R-G is underrated and for me on P's (way back when) an 18R-G was a smart move from a insurance point of view.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget the 18R-GEU takes rather well to turbocharging, and if built well will blow a stock-turbo 1G into the weeds.

Where the hell is Witzl when you need him? Playing devil's advocate is no fun on your own!
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure that some one will come out with one soon then eh Norbie? There are a few in the planning piplines I believe.

I believe the cost to turbo a stock 18r-g and installing a stock 1G would be roughly the same. depending on how much work you do yourself?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm nice smooth 6 cyclinder or a lumpy 4 Smiley =
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm a 16year old with a twin turbo engine, i would like to see the look of the insurence companies face bahahaha.

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 15:57

Don't forget the 18R-GEU takes rather well to turbocharging, and if built well will blow a stock-turbo 1G into the weeds.

This is starting to sound like the Sprinter/GTR discussion. Evil or Very Mad

I do agree, for the cost of putting in a 1G, you could put a turbo and ecu on an 18RGU and make the same power, assuming you already had the efi 18rg in the car. If you only had a carby motor, then I wouldn't even consider a turbo 18rg. Unless of coarse you wanted to get all nostalgic and persist with 1970's technology.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why are 1gs so cheap now? i asked in april about a front cut and every one was asking for the 2k mark have they become un popular again?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arnt they still 2k?

generally it's hard to find a halfcut for less than that, it's kinda the cost of bringing it over and making some money.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 07:39

Unless of coarse you wanted to get all nostalgic and persist with 1970's technology.

And who wouldn't? Very Happy
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 10 August 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfcuts tend to go for a abit more than a engine package

1g 700+ for package
2000+ for front cut

1j 1500+ for package
2700+ for front cut
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Package by your definitions include?

Motor Yes/No
ECU Yes/No
Loom Yes/No
GBox Yes/No

Cheers

Nathan

Oh and would it cost much in pipe work etc to loose that ugly stock piping runnin atop the valve cover? I hate that look...

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2005 10:40]

rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it was a long time ago this thread was asked. And no, still havent got round to that conversion...just chuggin along ay Smile
18rg will do till i get my p's Razz
no twin turbo yet Razz
but it will be done, anyone want involvement with a couple of stubbies on the house? Very Happy
Im chasing a front cut i think in the end, it will be more efficient to complete the conversion, and allows you to sort the wiring harness and gives you all the optional extras you might need along the way, instead of requiring to run down to your local conventrys Razz
anyway, lets crank up this thread..info would be great
Steve
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA-022 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 18:38

Package by your definitions include?

Motor Yes/No
ECU Yes/No
Loom Yes/No
GBox Yes/No/Sometimes

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate drive on over!

ive got a spare room, drive thru garage and 4x5m pergola ready and waiting!

don't forget those cold ones eh?!

*looking at some further pics the drivers side piping is air intake - turbos yeah?

and passenger side just your intercooler to throttle/plenum piping.

so in theory a custom plenum and turbo intakes could eliminate stock piping over head?

dont mind it but for a finished build i'd want them pipes
GORNE!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1g was never sold in aust.. 18r was and is a "cult" engine.. turbo manifolds ect ect exist
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha...anyone in perth..with lots of room and tools to play with? whos keen on a fast car and a couple o beers Razz
Smiley = make a weekend of it Razz
lol
go in with an old 18rg
come out with a Twin turbo 1ggte...sik mate? a weekend well worth it Razz
lol
Wink
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a weekend? baha

not unless you have alot of experienced people and everything prepared and ready
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it was a law of physics that you cannot have everything you need for it in one place at one time its a space time thing Laughing
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh..something along those lines...dam the time space laws thingy Rolling Eyes
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have no room, and im the only tool i know of, but ill give a hand if you need it, always had a love for old celicas Very Happy

plus i can probably pinch the old engine when your not looking muahahha kidding Very Happy

cheers,

Eldar.O.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 15:57

Where the hell is Witzl when you need him? Playing devil's advocate is no fun on your own!

dammit i take my sweet arse time dont i?

I am of the belief that there is way more potential in 18R-Gs than most people give them credit for. There are some absolutely nuts turbo 18RG engines in the states which shatter the would be dreams of just about any 1ggte. Of course they have had a lot of work.....

but realistically we are comparing apples and oranges. One is easy, bang for buck - the other is expensive and requires more effort.

and yes, there are one or two 18RG turbo engines in the making around here. They will be gun.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 07:54

There are some absolutely nuts turbo 18RG engines in the states which shatter the would be dreams of just about any 1ggte. Of course they have had a lot of work.....

and there are plenty of 'absolutely nuts 22R's in the states but you wouldnt dare wave that flag would you?

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Tue, 22 February 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luke, when i say absolutely nuts, im talking like 10 second cars and 500hp++ engines.... there was some class of racing that there were turbo 18RG RA28's, class C or something?

and no i will never fly the 22r flag. They are teh ghey. They look like poo, the head design is bigger poo, they are the stoke master, and i dont like them. Smiley = i like my cams in pairs thanks.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't Toyota boot the 18R-G head in favour of a 16 valve one for all their racing endeavours???

Logically speaking then, 24 valves would be better again Very Happy
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am hoping to have a large shed soon,big engough for the 28 to be rebuilt with a monster 1ggze in it.
so when you get around to it steve ,if you bring beer and a lot of stock from super cheap to fill my shed with,ill happily help you build you car. Very Happy

as for doing it in one weekend ,ask a certain mitch who is just getting his 23 finished to go over the pits with a 1ggze....Smile

cheers,
Dom
(green 28 with lumpy 18rg)
slowly working my way up the chain 18rc , 2tgeu ,now 18rg , soon 1ggze...
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am hoping to have a large shed soon,big engough for the 28 to be rebuilt with a monster 1ggze in it.
so when you get around to it steve ,if you bring beer and a lot of stock from super cheap to fill my shed with,ill happily help you build you car. Very Happy

as for doing it in one weekend ,ask a certain mitch who is just getting his 23 finished to go over the pits with a 1ggze....Smile

cheers,
Dom
(green 28 with lumpy 18rg)
slowly working my way up the chain 18rc , 2tgeu ,now 18rg , soon 1ggze...
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That certain Mitch would happen to be me, and its 12 months and still going strong !
Thanks for reminding me about that mate ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 09:55

halfcuts tend to go for a abit more than a engine package

1g 700+ for package
2000+ for front cut

1j 1500+ for package
2700+ for front cut

how often do packages come up in comparisson to half cuts???

i am sort of begining to look for a 1ggte for my RA40 Very Happy

brett
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard of some rather fast 22re packages in the states too..
doing 12's...

still makes me laugh.

remember the old saying

"you polish a turd, you end up with a shiny turd"
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The interesting thing about those very fast 22R's in the states is almost everything has been replaced. Forged pistons, custom rods, stroker crank, heavily ported 20R cylinder head... what's left of the 22R? Pretty much nothing but the block! That in itself is proof the base engine is no good for a performance application. It's also proof you can make anything fast with enough development.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shhh NORBIE

/me goes back to stirring the pot.

and a 10second 18rg is just a stock 18rg with a big turbo?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back to the original discussion.

I think the major thing which everyone has missed when considering the 18rg turbo'd or a 1g-gte.

with the 1g you end up with a silky smooth package that goes and can be easily driving in peak hour wihtout a hickup, idle like a dream etc etc.

18rgs are lumpy by comparison.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well no... but 10sec is a LOT faster than 12 sec!!!

anthony, from memory only the NA 18rg race engines used the 16V race head - those turbo ones i thought were still 8v.

one day luke, one day Razz
p.s. wanna buy another bike??
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Wed, 23 February 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nup thoes sexy wide body schnitzer RA28's had 16valve turbo goodness in em.

http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/Silhouettes/ToyotaCelicaLBturbo/G5_ToyotaCelicaLBturbo_3.jpg

Click here for more info.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that celica doesnt look that sexy in my opinion,

also gold28,

how do you make a hyperlink that doesnt have the link but has a word instead like "click me"

thanx

brett
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love translated stuff

..a turbo KKK is added make it possible to draw the trifle from 560 horses...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
systran is your friend Very Happy
google translations are sucky as!!

it might not look good by today's standards, but the regulations for racing back then and the styling of times dictated that look... and i dont mind it.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
horn if you ask me.

horn if you don't.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh gotta love the compression ratio though..
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
call me old fashioned but im with norbie on this. 18RG efi intercooled turbo would blow away a ghey with aids 1G. Who wants a pissy bore 2.0L 6 when you can have a tried and proven (for the last 20 years) 2.0L 4?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Thu, 24 February 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would Very Happy

But then again, if one of thoes 16valve 18r heads popped up, I might be tempted to use an 18rg, just for the nostalgia of it. Cool

Ohh and Brett, type what ever you want in teh message body, highlite the text you want displayed then hit the hyperlink button.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Fri, 25 February 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you can be really tricky... and do this:

[url=http://www.website.here]Text you want here[/url]

Yes... its horn. That compression ratio is nutters too!! How short must those pistons have been!?!?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 1ggte, Or Tits the 18r-g? Fri, 25 February 2005 09:55 Go to previous message
Hi,

gold28 wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 09:40

But then again, if one of thoes 16valve 18r heads popped up, I might be tempted to use an 18rg, just for the nostalgia of it. Cool

Check Toysports, they've got some 153E and other 16v engines for sale from time to time.

I'd like one of those babies also. Not cheap, but hey, you're a man of the world, I'm sure you could afford it. And, buy me one too while you're at it Smile

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 radiators
Next Topic:WHY TF wont my instrument cluster come out?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 10:59:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009376049041748 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.