Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » a few questions (legal matter)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:57 Go to next message
just need a bit of help with a few questions i have,
story goes like this, last week we were hanging out in a mates car near a park. police come and start asking us questions and then start searchin us but before the search happened i had told them wat i have on me and wats in the car, they found 0.3grams of marijuana, a used billy and a pair of scissors. however i took the blame for this and received a cannabis cautioning as the amount was very small and considered as a personal use offence. rightio, i was very honest and told the police everything they needed to know however the prick got me on one question
officer - wat r these scissors doing in the car?
me - i was using them to chop up i keep them in my tafe bag for class.

now after everything had happened he writes me a fine which i recieved today in the mail. possesion of a knife $550.
here are my questions.
1) should i take this matter up in court
2) should i just take it sweet and forget the whole insident and pay the fine
3) should i write a letter

any advice will be greatly appreciated, please dont start bagging me out about it. im sick to death about it already as $550 dusnt grow on trees.
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd take it to court if i was in your position. As long as it wasn't there as a concealed weapon or anything, and it aint a knife... Just tell them you had your pencil case in the car and you needed them for class Razz
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had admitted at the time i had chopped up with the scissors, but at the same time i had told him i keep them in the tafe bag (i really do!).

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
letter then court.. no way you should take that!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for law advice

solicitor > toymods forums
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and

toymods forum > nobody at all
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant afford a solicitor, im an out of work student. i study 4 days a week. Sad

im gonna approach a friend and see if they could give me a hand putting together a letter as they know a bit more then i do in these matters.

thanks a bundle people Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Errr, if you take this to court, aren't you gonna get fined for being in possession of marijuana?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no because the amount he had was considered personal usage thus he will not be fine for that
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is where you need to try some social engineering

ring a bunch of law firms and try and get some free advice

i would be very careful taking this one to court without representation, especially if the judge is a hard arse and the alarm bells ring with the 1st mention of mull.

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the post 9-11 world, all manner of things have become 'weapons'.

i'd get some real legal advice - as depending on your career path, a conviction and fine for the possession of a concealable weapon (aka the 'knife') might be worse than a misdemeanor conviction for possession of class ?? prohibitd drug.

if you can't afford a lawyer, you should quality for legal aid or access to community legal services. search yellowpages and your state's justice department web site for legal services.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the marijuana won't be a problem i'd think coz its only 0.3g for personal use, it's not like he had 3kg....The whole scissor being a knife is bullshit tho...
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take it to court with legal aid.
Legal aid can give a cheque to the lawyer of your choice and then u have top notch representation and minial cost to you.
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crying or Very Sad take it to legal aid n tell em you were carrying the scissors to chop and paste at tek..... Very Happy
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we know why you had the scissors.. Smile and the (mixing) can..use at tech may able be validated/supported by something like a supplies needed list for your subject/s but at all costs try to avoid the court thing...the "charges" if proven will haunt you for years..sorry to be so negative but have seen it happen to others..get proper professional legal advice..do not go to student advisor they will maintain a record you may not want in the education system which leaks like a sieve...
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh had a talk with a few people, they said just bend over and take it like a man and pay the fine Sad

a bud of weed. $20
a pair of scissors from ur local convienence store. $3.30
being busted during a session and having to pay $573.30

priceless.

Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make an apointment and talk it over with your local Chamber Magistrate. They'll know the ins and outs of it all.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You shouldn't worry about it dude. just drown your thoughts,
sit back and toke on a smooth j and
eat some garlic bread on a comfy couch and watch
"Friday" with Ice Cube

[Updated on: Sat, 26 February 2005 06:59]

Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time2play wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 16:38

yeh had a talk with a few people, they said just bend over and take it like a man and pay the fine Sad

a bud of weed. $20

priceless.

if ya didnt smoke ya wudnt have a problem now would ya Very Happy

NOLAN
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nolan wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 19:07

time2play wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 16:38

a bud of weed. $20

priceless.

if ya didnt smoke ya wudnt have a problem now would ya Very Happy

NOLAN

now ur being silly Razz

drowning my thoughts tonight on sum jakie chan & chris rock (i think thats his name) movie.......
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Fri, 25 February 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you're talking about Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan... Rush Hour.
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Sat, 26 February 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh that but part 2 Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: a few questions (legal matter) Sat, 26 February 2005 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately don't pay the fine!
Take it to court!!!
You can represent yourself in court and if you're honest and the judge isn't a total arse you should get off no problems.

Talk to legal aid though... you can phone them and it won't cost you a dime!

PS You're lucky they didn't try to fine you for possesing a bottle with intent to make a molotov! Razz
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Mon, 28 February 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahahahaha thanks for the input guys, spoke to a family friend who is a lawyer, it seems a bit complicated now because of the weed. He explained the risk of going to court and getting hit with a drug fine and even a criminal record. Best bet now is legal aid but were in the world do i find them??? im kind of a n00b at the justice system.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: a few questions (legal matter) Mon, 28 February 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok

how can they sting you in court for weed after they let you off on it at the scene?

secondly take it to court, advise you were 100% honest and prepared to accept the consequences for your drug taking but they let you off afterwards anyhow

thirdly, what class do you take a tafe? do you REALLY need scissors for that class or is the 'tafe' excuse a weak one?

maybe write a letter instead of court?

bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scissors are not a knife. I used to work as a paralegal (like a bush lawyer) and it would be wise to get Legal Aid to help you out. Regardless of what you use scissors for it's not illegal to have them in your car. They were not concealed on your person so don't sweat it. Fight the Power mate, have your day in court and see what happens. The cops have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your scissors are a knife and unless they are also Harry Potter, they can't change your scissors into a knife. Think about any witnesses you can call too to back ya up.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 01:59]

time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the moment i have 9 witnesses (friends that were there the night it happened). i always keep scissors in my bag/car u never know wen u need them....... but yeh i hardly use them at tafe only wen to make thinbgs fit in my folder. ive booked an appointment with legal aid 2morow Very Happy hopefully something can be done........
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep us posted.

I've seen my fair share of court cases.
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same, i actually lost my license for a longer period of time and doubled my fines cause i took it to court! damn that judge...........
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r u for real ?
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep sure am.

i got flashed by the same speed camera twice in one day, it was all my points so i went to court to ask for a probationary license (i was a delievery boy and studying full time 45mins away from home). The judge said i was wasting the courts time, doubled my fines, doubled my time. there are NO trains or buses in the area i live in........ but he didnt give 2 shits.

On the exact same day a woman doubling the legal speed limit was let off cause of her excuse "its my husbands car and i didnt know it was that powerful".
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
getting fined for having scissors in ya car my left testy!!!
that is a load of shit man!!! stupid pigs! Confused take it to court!!!!
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: a few questions (legal matter) Tue, 01 March 2005 10:14 Go to previous message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 13:13

Errr, if you take this to court, aren't you gonna get fined for being in possession of marijuana?

This is what I thought:
They have already taken action. They can't give him a caution and then change their minds and slap on a fine. Besides, as earlier stated it's too small an amount.

But shit man... I didn't know they could double your fines and stuff.. honestly.. WTF

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 10:16]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What football code do you follow / prefer?
Next Topic:melbourne people
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 13:43:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058989524841309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.