Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
tools, brands Thu, 24 February 2005 08:18 Go to next message
so what tools does everyone use or recommend?

sockets
spanners
screwdrivers
and whatever else

also wats the opinion on the metrench(spelling?) type tools
and the reversible rachet spanners.

so far iv heard of stanley, sidchrome, kingchrome, gedore
snap on, metrench, force, fragram and some others

[Updated on: Thu, 24 February 2005 08:20]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: tools, brands Thu, 24 February 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Metrinch is very good, but not cheap.

Kincrome and Sidchrome are very good value for money.
SupaTool is Kincrome, but with a 5year warrenty, not lifetime, and slightly less quality.

SnapOn is much better, but the price tag reflects that.

There are things above SnapOn, but names escape me now.
Blue Point comes to mind.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: tools, brands Thu, 24 February 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 'total tools industrial' tools, or TTI for short. im not sure how many stores they have around the country though.
they have lifetime warrenty, are very reasonably priced, and, (i believe) have better quality than the kinchrome and cheaper, (read asian) sidchrome stuff.
i have had zero problems with them.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: tools, brands Thu, 24 February 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 16:42

Metrinch is very good, but not cheap.

Indeed it is.

Kincrome and Sidchrome are very good value for money.
SupaTool is Kincrome, but with a 5year warrenty, not lifetime, and slightly less quality.

I've got tools from all three of them. My Sidchrome and Kinchrome stuff is really good, as is the Supatool Gold stuff I have. When I bought some sockets yesterday, I was actually told they now come with a lifetime warranty.

SnapOn is much better, but the price tag reflects that.

Snapon is real good, some of it is REALLY questionable price wise, but good shit none the less.

There are things above SnapOn, but names escape me now.
Blue Point comes to mind.

Bluepoint are actually Snap-on's lower brand. Still awesome stuff though.

I've actually got a set of Stahwille ring spanners, and they be da shiznitz. Weren't cheap at all, good thing I didn't pay for them Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: tools, brands Thu, 24 February 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and my Sidchrome stuff is Australian made, so probably why I think so highly of it Wink
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: tools, brands Thu, 24 February 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are 2 grades of sidchrome.
the cheaper range is asian ( taiwanese?? cant remember ), while the more expensive range is aussie made. . .
they dont have a cheap sub company like kinchrome / supertool etc, they just have 2 ranges within the company.

that is the info that i have. . . someone shoot me down if i am wrong.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a comprehensive sidchrome socket set, and a set of open/ring REPCO spanners (yes REPCO Wink ) they are about $90 for the set, and are very good in terms of feel and tight spaces, but i did manage to break one tine of the 19mm spanner by juimper on a 2m breaker pipe trying to turn a motor over Wink

basically, get whatever you can afford, and if you have a choice at the same quality level, go for the one that FEELS best to use (ie smooth corners, etc)

i like how sidchrome sockets take multiple hammer beatings Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Repco tools are surprisingly high quality for the price.
toyotacorona
Regular

May 2004
Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ture i have a set of 1/2 inch deep sockets and spanners made by repco and i have had no problems with them
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koken and astro are 2 good japanese brands
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
**Edit** Toof here actually i really should log erin out before posting Razz

ive got the metrinch and its the shit.

awesome quality tools. grabs just about anything even the dodgyest of worn out nuts. and what i like about it that you odnt have one half of the set as imperial which ill never use (given i own modern jap cars) one problem with their 71piece set which i have... they have a 11 and 13mm 3/8"drive long socket but no 12mm!! argh.. they do have the 12mm 3/8"drive in the short but no long. grrr.

other then that awesome tools i give them the thumbs up

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 06:53]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hear that WST are pretty good Laughing
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Cruzsida- Repco tools are excellent bang for your buck, and the 2004 range presented an excellent rise in quality, without it being reflected in the price. Repco tools are made by Stanley, and if one ever breaks, you just go to your local Repco and they swap it, without proof of purchase, because the tools are exclusive and are marked Repco. Most of my tools are Repco, with some Snap-On and Bluepoint. After 2 years, not one of my tools has broken.
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^ what the others said

in bris ive found Trade Tools (cnr Beaudesert & Kessles) to have the most competitive prices

i rate the kinchrome socket set...the teeth on the sockets dont wear as easily as other brands & they're cheaper than sidchrome (but just as good i reckon)

screwdrivers/pliers etc - Wattmaster arent too bad...if you're working on electrical stuff then Cabac are the go as they have more insulation and safety stuff (ie: ridges on handle so your hand cant slip and touch metal)

Battery Drills - Makita are good for the price...Panasonic are good but expensive...Milwalkie, Metabo & Hilti are just as good & reasonably priced

some brands are only good at making a certain type of tool so make sure you do your research before buying something based on reputation

MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[QUOTE]in bris ive found Trade Tools (cnr Beaudesert & Kessles) to have the most competitive prices

yeh i work their
gettin shit at cost price is good

they just got some clamps their exactly the same as record
made in the same factory and everythin but we now buy from the people who record get to make em
they even have record grinded off
the best thing is we can sell em cheap

kinchrome and snapon are very high quility
force is exelent for the price

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 20:42]

BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: tools, brands Fri, 25 February 2005 09:58 Go to previous message
I have used my repco spanners and sockets (1/2" drive set) at work for nearly 10 years now and the only problem I've had is I bent my 5/8 ring spanner using a pipe on it. It was OK though because I straightened it back up when I refitted the bolt I was undoing Laughing .

Their quality is excellent and if anyone has changed a 42mt starter you will know the workout my tools cop Very Happy .

Brad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:pros / cons of different turbo setups:
Next Topic:How much does one of these go for?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 21:51:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064799785614014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.