Toymods » General Car Talk » pros / cons of different turbo setups:

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

icon5.gif  pros / cons of different turbo setups: Fri, 25 February 2005 07:46 Go to next message
evening all,

Since I can't find any decent information on the net, I thought I'd ask the question:
(and this is purely because I'm curious and want to know more about turbo's not for any other reason)

what are the pro's / con's for the three main types of turbo setup:

1. twin sequential
2. twin parallel
3. single

Ignore engine / desired use etc.... just an overview would be fantastic.

As I see it (and am happy to be corrected - is what learning is all about):

1. Twin sequential: good all round, small turbo comes on boost early feeds bigger turbo, gives good power across rev range (similar to supercharger setup for power production??) but may run out of puff at higher end of rev range (??)

2. Twin parallel: Suffers from lag down low, but once gets higher in the rev range, produces a more noticable amount of power for mid to high revs...

3. Single: depending on size of turbo suffers from lag down low, but once up making boost would make more power - due to usually being a larger turbo? better for drag racing and the like?

Given the above (and as I said happy to be corrected) that would make the ideal street car - one you don't want a belting of power all at once..but smooth...a sequential setup?

Anyway Cheers for any answers.
I always know I can get some form of answer from toymods Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: pros / cons of different turbo setups: Fri, 25 February 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the most torque created the earliest possible would be ideal

speaking in terms of stock engines.

the sequential when set up right (ie toyota not subaru) will be the best at producing the most torque down low, of course this offers less room for modifications.

the twin parallel dont have as much lag as u think, toyota run pretty small twins to aid in spool up time.

and a slightly bigger single than twin setup (think factory setup) should be able to match an engine with small twins at spool up time.

consider the RB25DET and 1JZ-GTE together.

its a very ambiguous topic with many facets of discussion

my 0.02c

ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: pros / cons of different turbo setups: Fri, 25 February 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Rob...

I know it's pretty ambiguous...and people could talk forever about different setups, eg sequential with x turbo on x engine vs single with x turbo on x engine....etc etc....

I guess what I really want / wanted is to futher my understanding as to why you'd choose a certain type of setup over any other?

eg why would you make a single turbo 2jzgte instead of sequential?

or why wouldn't you do a big single on a 1ggte? (or would as the case maybe..)

It's all learning for me - so I don't mind if we stray well off topic into 'turbo engines 101' .... it's all beneficial Smile

MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: pros / cons of different turbo setups: Fri, 25 February 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know to much about turbo's
but i was told turbo's wid small compressor housing spool quiker
which gives more torgue
whereas turbo's wid larger housings take longer to spool but provide more top end power

pls correct me if im wrong
i don't know much
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: pros / cons of different turbo setups: Fri, 25 February 2005 13:54 Go to previous message
Sequential turbos really do offer the best of both worlds; quick spool up and still a good top end. The reason people ditch sequential on engines like the 2JZ is because it's pretty much impossible to significantly upgrade the turbos while keeping the sequential system working. I don't know anyone who's successfully developed a home-brew sequential turbo setup; it's not impossible but it would take a LOT of time and money to get it working properly. That's why people just throw it all away and go with a simple big single setup, which if properly matched to the engine using a modern turbo doesn't have to be laggy anyway.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Celica offset?
Next Topic:tools, brands
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:09:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005033016204834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.