Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86drift
Regular

October 2003
brake pads for ae86 Fri, 12 December 2003 23:25 Go to next message
hey guys
got an aus spec ae86 and the brakes are pretty piss poor at the moment (on my drive-way the car rolls back at full braking force)
so today i wanna change the front pads-cant really do anything bout the drums
so what are good pads i can put on?brand and part number would be apreciated
ill prolly be picking them up at supercheap auto or something
thanks all
  Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got Ferodo pads on the front and they are pretty decent. They werent too expensive either but in this weather they seem to be sqealing a little when you brake lightly. Dont have the part number as I didnt keep the box but they should be able to look it up in a book.
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could give bendix advanced a go
i was using metal - kings and it absolutely grinded my rotors smoothed after a while.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 December 2003 00:08]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The guy asked for good brake pads, not cheap and nasty shite like Bendix or Ferodo. Yes I've used both of the above and they were utter crap. If you want good brakes, stay away!

I can personally vouch for EBC Greenstuff pads, which are doing a pretty decent job of keeping my 400hp Supra under control. Unlike Bendix Metal Kings and other metallic pads they won't chew out your rotors, and the most impressive thing is the way they keep working even when your brakes are SUPER hot. I've personally seen a rotor glowing orange and the brakes were still working fine!

BTW if your car rolls backwards under "full braking force" there is something seriously wrong with your brakes, and it's not the pads! I'd get that checked out pronto if I were you.
86drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the advice guys
well i got a helluva steep driveway -like almost straight up
and when i press on the brakes fully the car still rolls back slightly (but if i yank the hand brake ALL the way up its fine)
driving i havent had too many problems just that i gotta slow down with gears always
i was thinking the front pads are going but you guys are the pros so let me know youre thoughts
thanks
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And don't forget if you upgrade your front brakes you should upgrade your rear too.. or else it's unbalanced braking.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone has been watching drift bible Twisted Evil
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I have, and it's a really good point..

Now I want a S14.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86drift wrote on Sat, 13 December 2003 12:49

when i press on the brakes fully the car still rolls back slightly (but if i yank the hand brake ALL the way up its fine)
driving i havent had too many problems just that i gotta slow down with gears always

It really worries me you're driving a car with completely fucked brakes... has it occured to you how dangerous that is??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sun, 14 December 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt any pads you fit to the front of a sprinter with stock setup would unbalance the breaking too much. i have bigger brakes on the front and my car pulls up fine, i wouldnt say too unbalanced.
gillbates
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: brake pads for ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

I have a related question. Are the Aus spec brake pads same as the JDM spec pads? Assuming I'm using JDM vented rotors, calipers, the whole car actually.

Reason I'm asking is because I read somewhere on this or another Aus forum that using JDM vented rotors on Aus spec calipers will cause the rotors and pads to engage even if the brakes are off, hence requiring shaving of the pads. However I'll be using JDM calipers with vented discs, and I want to know if the Aus pads will drop in.

Specifically I'll be using bendix DB398 pads.

Thanks!
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: brake pads for ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JAY DEE EMM brakes n aus spec brakes both use the same pad.

Aus spec calipers on jdm rotors shave off because they are thinner??? Laughing
gillbates
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: brake pads for ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing JAYYYY DEEEEE EMMMM indeed. Thanks dude.

Yeah, Aus spec calipers and solid disks are thinner. Check this thread:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=30820&rid=9614&S=f459680897d87d82428d154 0cb06615c
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: brake pads for ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fulsik JDM brakes have got one amazing thing in common with notsofulsik Aus-spec brakes - they both SUCK! Bendix and Ferodo are both excellent pads - for making filthy wheels, at least...

Remember, too, there is more to at least 'fixing' your standard brakes than just shoehorning in some cheap pads. If you don't know what you're doing, find a reputable brake place and get them to do something about it. (Reputable ones are actually fairly hard to find, and when you do find them, they probably know how to charge...)

Anyway, enough of Mr Shin's words of encouragement, someone else please have a go Very Happy
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: brake pads for ae86 Sat, 26 February 2005 02:56 Go to previous message
could be your booster or master cyl that is causing the problem....check your brake lines and fluid etc...

fooz86 - u are right to a point...but i dont think it is a big deal...note: drift bible is not the be all and end all of driving a car Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA27 Celica 2TG Suspension/Engine
Next Topic:gearbox question (the vn is gone)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 20:07:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081169605255127 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.