Toymods » General Car Talk » How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Fri, 25 February 2005 12:29 Go to next message
Hi
i am just wondering how many kms has your 4AGZE lasted before it was time for a rebuild and what are the signs of it been on its last legs.

i am just wondering because i am about to buy a 4agze and it has 140.000kms on it what you guys think
  Send a private message to this user    
medlock
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Fri, 25 February 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mines on 134,000 and its fine.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Fri, 25 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure how many mines done, but I am at least the 4th owner of it, in it's 3rd car. It now has a turbo strapped to the side of it and is still going well.
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Fri, 25 February 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am looking at a car with 140.000kms the engine and it is a 4AGZE am just a bit worryed and i was wanting to know about other peoples engines

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 13:07]

AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Fri, 25 February 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone else please i would really like to know
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Sat, 26 February 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd have the shortest life span of anyone here... After the conversion was complete, the car was written off 3weeks later by my dad Evil or Very Mad

But it had around the 90000km mark without a rebuild or recon and was running sweet as Very Happy

Really sucked teh massif dong Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 26 February 2005 00:21]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Sat, 26 February 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Sat, 26 February 2005 11:20

i'd have the shortest life span of anyone here... After the conversion was complete, the car was written off 3weeks later by my dad Evil or Very Mad

I beg to differ.....

I had mine rebuilt and it lasted 5 days before it totally destroyed itself. Had about 1000k's on it. It was due to a toyota part fault. This is the point i totally lost faith in the 4agze.

Its being rebuilt now but i am very sceptical to say the least.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Sat, 26 February 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my engine has been in aus since about 1994 and since then its had no less than 15psi going through it be it supercharged or more recently turbo. still going alright.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Sun, 27 February 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine's lasted 15 years from the factory. And for the most recent one of them it has been sat on the limiter about 80% of the time.

You can check compression, and also take it somewhere with an exhaust gas analyser, and they can tell you a bit about the "tiredness" of the engine.

Hen
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Sun, 27 February 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My first one, a AE92 map version, lasted about a year of constant rev limit drift abuse with 11psi. Power started going up and down, blowing massive smoke when starting, teflon on the SC12 rotors was grey lol (not black as standard).

But hey, I was trying to hurt that engine.
mighty_boy
Regular

September 2004
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Mon, 02 May 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine's done 128k and im getting this black grit coming out from the supercharger, any ideas?? sounds like a leak when on boost
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Mon, 02 May 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I got mine, it had done at least 100k (it had a timing belt sticker on it). I'd guess that the timing belt had been done a few years ago by the look of the sticker.

I pulled it down, and the bearings had a little bit of wear on them and the rings and bore looked fine.

I'd say it had another 100k in it easily.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Mon, 02 May 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mighty_boy wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 13:17

mine's done 128k and im getting this black grit coming out from the supercharger, any ideas?? sounds like a leak when on boost

Mine had tonnes of blowby in the intake tract, was all lined with black grit.. turned out to be a blown headgasket Sad i didnt have oil in the water or water in the oil (the normal tell tale signs) but it was definatly blown, gassses leaking into the head bolts around #3 piston, oil was leaking out of the front left of the block outa the head gasket too. motor was still running fine when i pulled it down

Ended up rebuilding the head (one of those "while its apart" things), also pulled the pistons out to inspect em, the conrod bearings were showing wear so they were replaced and i reringed it. the oild galleries in the pistons were all blocked up as well. Bore was in good condition though

the motor had 135k's on it, its running good now Very Happy still running it in after the freshen up, http://gb.detonated.org/gallery/engine-rebuild for pics

Its a mixed bag really, but there are more people out there with good gze's then there are with bad ones Wink
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Mon, 02 May 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mines going fine came with 89000 on it ive put about another 15000 since then. The things that often need changing at that age are the timing belt and the front and rear main seals.

GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Tue, 03 May 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i having mine rebuild this week.. ill have horror pics of bearings soon..
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Thu, 05 May 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bought in front cut with 104 thou..port polished/decked head, metal head gasket, bigport cams, 10psi, front mount, 3sge throtle body..constantly raping every day of the week..garantee that each time it's started and drivin i hit the limiter at least a dozen times..drifted all the time..smashed 2 g/boxes, 2 diffs, and 2.5 pairs of axles..and put the head on cos i wanted to not out of neccesity..still purs like a kitten and does 13.6 1/4 miles..
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Thu, 05 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah good point mine also gets thrashed regularly and im allways driving as fast as i can (im gonna get caught sooner or later) but im allways punnishing my motor and it still idles perfectly starts every time and never blows any smoke
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How long has your 4AGZE engine lasted Thu, 05 May 2005 13:08 Go to previous message
i bought my 88 aw11 4agze half cut in '99. the engine had 70,000 k's on it, and a 10psi crank pulley. it got flogged daily to rev limiter. in early 2002 i basicaly cooked it, but it still went on. couple months later i did a turbo conversion on it. engine lasted 9 months before a bit of my spark plug fooked up #4 piston and scored the bore.
it still did 300k's to get home still boosting with a knock and some smoking. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rally of Canberra (some pics for those who couldn't make it)
Next Topic:Guess what engine.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:09:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062758922576904 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.