Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Finally legal 13b turbo ae86

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
icon6.gif  Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 12:51 Go to next message
That's right.... finally legal... engineered and registered...

some may have spotted a glimpse of the blue beast flying by on the highway or even see it pull up at a certain maccas or burger king on a saturday night just sussing out the crowd before taking off before the pigs came round.....

now there is nothing to fear as it is all legal.... having the engineer's cert and registration makes you feel bulletprof....

anyhow, i won't go into detail about what is done to it yet.... it will make an appearance at the next decent cruise/meeting or toymods monthly meet before anything much more is revealed....

pics will come soon.... but will be limited also.... still a little secretive as the project is not totally complete...

also, this car is now up for sale.... please, no pm's... if you have anything to say/ask, do it here please....

will be considering offers as of now... i also know it is hard to say much without pics.... but please bare with me for awhile.... all will be revealed by it's first official outing.

cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if its legal why are u running from the cops?
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh no, you misunderstood.. or i wasn't too clear...

that was before it was legal.... it only got registered on tuesday... i use to take it "around the block" while under construction to sort out issues... hehe...

this project has taken most of 2 years to get to where it is now... actually work on it took maybe a month... it was all the paperwork and politics that took a long time.... that and constantly trying different combinations of parts and tuning to pass engineering.

ok, i will be taking the car out on friday night where pics will be taken (cruise with some supra guys... my other car being a supra)...

ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are you using as a diff? and what gearbox? also what brakes are u using?

be keen to see pictures of those area's too

shiri
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, i'm trying to be secretive but it is a little hard being so excited still....

i'll post pictures on saturday with all the mods done... you gotta hold out till then.....

for now, im going to bed, hehe.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
details, pics and price range please
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Wed, 23 February 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please be patient for pics... they will come on saturday as pics will be taken on friday....

price wise, we'd be looking around the 13-15k mark depending on how much more work we do to the car.

the specs will be posted on saturday with the pics.
ae864eva
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think i seen this car...It Blue right..fair condition i believe the car is engineer at Mr Enforcer in Chipping Norton...im really suprise how it pass engineer..since the largest possible engine for ae86 would be a 2.5 litre

a 13b = 2.6
hmmm really weird nsw laws.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae864eva wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 22:35

I think i seen this car...It Blue right..fair condition i believe the car is engineer at Mr Enforcer in Chipping Norton...im really suprise how it pass engineer..since the largest possible engine for ae86 would be a 2.5 litre

a 13b = 2.6
hmmm really weird nsw laws.

there's always a loop hole somewhere, just a bitch to find it....Counting down to saturday Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably the 12a/13b trickery.
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car was not engineered at mr enforcer, though we have been there a few times to enquire about work for my supra though, not the 86.

Loop holes there are.... and yes, bitch to find.... but didn't really use a loop hole here... abit of out of the square thinking got us through....

lastly, it definately its no 12a/13b trickery.... engineered and registered with the s5 13b turbo....

tomorrow, i will be taking this car on a cruise with the supraforums guys.... come if you can guys....

tempe park, tempe at 8pm.... and because someone always asks, sydney.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't let Mr Enforcer work on my billy kart, let alone my car.

Nice project results R-jay, shame your selling it as soon as you get it on the road!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R-jay wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 00:02

lastly, it definately its no 12a/13b trickery.... engineered and registered with the s5 13b turbo....

so how does that work. the code of practive sets out the MAXIMUM engine size without going to an ICV.. that is based on the ORIGINAL weight of the vehicle.. not any future weight that it may attain.

and the chances of an ICV are not very good, since you have to meet ALL current ADR's..

so is it just a dodgy engineer (whose cert will not stand up in court)?
Cya, Stewart
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Thu, 24 February 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another 13bt ae86 is going to be registered soon Very Happy
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php ?p=110602#post110602

check out the pics and you will know why i'm upset

so here's the story... for the last 2 years, me and a mate have been working on a 13b turbo ae86 and on monday, the car was complete.... even got engineered and registered.... the week was spent tweaking things here and there and giving it a clean....

today, as i took a day off to work on it abit before taking it to the cruise tonight, i had lunch in fairfield with my mate....

afterwards, we headed to pick up my v160 to drop it off at a workshop doing some stuff to it.... anyhow, some of you may be familiar with the horsely drive railway overbridge at fairfield where maccas is....

so it's lunch time... and i turned right onto the horsely drive heading to villawood... and i noticed opposite traffic was all banked up right back to the bridge... so i go along on my way at a decent 65kmh when suddenly, this truck full turns in front of me... he was apparently turning right from the west bound side going into the tip top factory.... now if you know this bend in the road just before fairfield high school, you'd know it is quite a blind bend.... so anyhow, with no warning, there's this huge truck in front of me....

so i slam the brakes (upgraded vl turbo calipers with slotted and cross drilled ford rotors) and downshift to try and take off some speed.... but 15m isn't enough room is it now? so i merge right hoping he speeds up the driveway and i can pass behind him without incident, instead he slows down to go up the driveway..... so i brace myself, my mate pushes himself into his seat to brace himself and we hope to dear God we make it through ok....

when i open my eyes, my chest is hurting like hell (thank you momo steering wheel) and my legs are all aching and feel wobbly.....i check my friend is ok and he is, so we stumble out of the wreck to take a look at the damage... and boy was there damage....

so anyhow, im swearing and shit cause im all upset about having the car on the road for 4 days before it's gone.....

all these people from the tip top gatehouse come rushing to make sure we're ok... (how nice of them after nearly killing us).... and then the ambo's come in like 2 mins... the cops took nearly 10mins even though they're one street away.

The cops took our statement and came to the conclusion that it was the truckies fault (didnt make me feel any better because my car was still dead)... so anyhow, my mate is all messed up, so he went to hospital and i stayed back to make sure some towy didnt take the car away and i dont see it for days and when i do some habibs have stripped it.....

so anyhow, i reckon the universe just decided that a 13b turbo sprinter just doesn't seem right in the scheme of things.

Fuck the universe.... one day, another one will take it's place.... for now, ill wait for the payout battle to decide if they're gonna give me my full payout or just market value.....

at least now i can concentrate on my supra v8 turbo project.....
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok just for fun, here's what was done to the car before it got killed today.

Engine: series 5 rx7 13b turbo with a t3/t4 turbo "mostly" stock
Cooling: VR4 cooler mounted up front with s5 oil cooler hanging
below it
Exhaust: custom 2.5" straight through with cats and cheapy rotor muffler (was going to upgrade to nice 3")
gearbox: series 5 turbo gearbox with mx5 shifter connected to a custom fully balanced tailshaft to the stock diff (was going to upgrade to a ford 9" but not anymore i guess)
Ecu: tuned MTX8 with bosch coilpacks
Fuel: polished surge tank in the boot and bosch fuel pump and some shitty lifter pump.
Brakes: front ford 5 stud hub with crossdrilled and slotted rotors VL turbo calipers
Wheels: front s14 stock wheels, rear some drift 16" rims
Interior: low mounted monster tach and boost gauge. Retrimmed door trims and rear panels.
Body: full stock with wrx blue paint job.

Ok, for anyone who wants to do a rotor, here's the easiest way to mount it in the engine bay.... if using a 13 engine, replace the front timing cover with a 12a timing cover as it can be mounted off the front cover instead of off the side of the block.... a straight crossmember from one rail to the other is as easy as it gets... the engine then mounts onto that.

Transmission tunnels in the 86 are tiny, so it had to be cut out and replaced with a new bigger tunnel either taken from an rx7 or by using sheet metal fabbed to fit. Other than that, custom gb mount and custom tailshaft.... both of which costs less than $500. Exhaust is easy.... just get a shop to make up a straight through system with cats...ours costed less than $400

The first time doing anything will cost heaps... but now with all the knowledge, i reckon i can knock up another 13bturbo sprinter with less than $5k including engineering.

As for engineering, some said it wasn't legal... still on the line sortta thing.... anyhow, the sprinter was re-engineered to have a tare weight of 1040kg after all the chassis mods that were made to stiffen and strengthen it.... it's sortta in between a highly modified car and a custom built car.

Any qyestions? oh yeah, ill be going to the shop where the car is tomorrow to take some decent pics with a proper camera... my phone was all i had at the scene.
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck that sucks hard dude Sad.

it is my goal 2 have a 13Bt or 20Bt in my sprinter one day
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Man, that just plain sucks.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats some seriously fucked up shit..
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
went to get checked up at the medical centre.... they reckon i have severe bruising (luckily not internal) and a possible fractured rib or sternum....

if i do get compo, it might only cover what the car was worth... as for insurance, they'll probably try and pay only market value... if so, i'll see them in court and i'll make sure Tip Top get what they deserve for condoning (or at least not enforcing) dangerous driving.

As for the whole day, i don't think it's fully sunk in yet... when it does, i think i'll slash my wrists...... seriously... for 2 years all that hard work was worth 3 days of driving.... only to have it all taken away by a careless truckie.....
driftpig180sx
Regular

December 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck dude I feel for you damn pitty, it almost brings a tear to my eye seeing it looking like a coke can. On the bright side, your living with only minor injuries so count your lucky stars you are not hospitalised. Hope all goes well with the pay out.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Fri, 25 February 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I feel soooo sorry for you, it brings a tear to my eye. Hope everything works out
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sat, 26 February 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked damn dude that plain sucks ass, but glad you're ok Very Happy

Was really looking forward to seeing her in all her glory Sad
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sat, 26 February 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man that is seriously farked up, i cannot imagine how mental i would have gone if that was my car. glad to see your ok though, was you're mate hurt bad? i know truck drivers usually have a time to keep to and are sometimes in a hurry, hell i used to drive a truck and will be again soon, but they just cant pull out in front of traffic like that, especially semis, its just asking for trouble. Sad

good luck with your claim dude. Smile
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sat, 26 February 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate was no worse than me.... i have a messed up chest/rib/collar bone area.... you can even sortta make out "MOMO" on my chest, hehe... jks jks. my mate dislocated a toe... LOL now that was funny when the doc told him that, hehhee...

thinking about it, i don't think the old girl did too bad against a 15 odd ton truck fully laddened....

honestly, i don't think i'd be as upset if it was the supra that got written off because i'd actually be happy with market value payout... but the sprinter is a different story.

who knows, there's a chance i might be able to sell parts off the wreck to help other's in their projects..... i'm sure the 5 stud plus brake upgrade up front could be useful to someone... or even the fuel system.... gotta wait and see...

thanks everyone for your kind words....
F.C.U.K
Regular

December 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sat, 26 February 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look champ just look on d bright side........ u and ur friend got out of it safe and sound enough. but it does suck watching your pride and joy go down the drain after all those work u put in. hope your next project stays on the rd.

Aka!
-Talasas-
Regular

July 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sun, 27 February 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-removed by user-

[Updated on: Sun, 27 February 2005 08:20]

-Talasas-
Regular

July 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sun, 27 February 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tough story there man, really unfortunate. I hate to ay this though but if you go to court your fault or not I think the magistrate will believe whatever the Tip Top lawyaer will say since it doesn't look too good:

2 Enthusiasts in a highly modified "Sports Car" versus
2 Employees of a Huge company driving a Company truck.

It doesn't look good, you'd better hope they don't go evil and say you were speeding and recklessly driving....
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sun, 27 February 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imagine how fucked you would be if it wasnt engineered!

all said and done if you come around a blind corner at a speed that you where unable to stop in a worst case situation (that you happened to well run into) there is not much you can do im shure we are all guilty of it but shit happens get another and move what parts you can over.

R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sun, 27 February 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both your points noted....

regardless of what i was doing, the truckie was making a dangerous turn in a blind corner... and if it should go to court, i have no doubts i would win.... though i don't think tip top would want the bad publicity as it is a known fact they often nearly cause accidents on that very blind bend...

the fact that it was a modified car has nothing to do with anything... and as the cop on the scene also said, regardless of whether i was doing a million miles per hour, technically, it is still the truckie's fault... but for the record... i was doing 60-65 max...
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Sun, 27 February 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG that is fucked that is soooo bad wat has happened... i was reading your stories when i went to the supra forums one and my face just turned green!! sorry to hear mate, wat model supra u own btw ? Focus on the supra now !!
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Mon, 28 February 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it's totally whacked.... only just finish then it gets written off...

i have a mk4 being converted with a 1uzfe turbo setup mated to my v160 6spd box. This one will take awhile to finish also.

and so no-one else misunderstands... i was doing 60-65 around a bend (blind due to opposite traffic being banked up) when a truck pulls out in front of me... i had 15m to stop... which is as you all know not a great deal of space...
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Mon, 28 February 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark man bad luck!
i would have been so pissed i would have probably tried to kill the c&^t in the truck with a shard of metal or glass or something.

i hope they pay in FULL for what happened so u can get it back on the road.
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Mon, 28 February 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, it's written off... it aint gettin back on the road again...

i hope the supra is a stronger car, cause i'm thinking next i'll take on a b-double semi, hehe.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Tue, 01 March 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not hard to buy another spritner and put all the shit into the new shell but sorry to hear that same thing hapepend to me 4 weeks on the road same soughta story
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Tue, 01 March 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 17:51

not hard to buy another spritner and put all the shit into the new shell but sorry to hear that same thing hapepend to me 4 weeks on the road same soughta story

it's amazing how many high powered cars get written off in the first month of rego Wink
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Tue, 01 March 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I kept mine for almost a whole year.
and if this one gets killed, seppuku will be the only option as far as I'm concerned.
the other one I bought nearly complete and just re-did wiring and a few other things, 20 hours max spent on it.
this one has been built from the ground up, and I've spent more than 20 hours just on the friggin interior.
turbomuzz
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Tue, 01 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gday mate.. real sorry to hear about the accident but im EXTREEMLY(sp) interested in the in's and out's of gettin a 13bt in a '86. if you could pm me some intricate details about the whole project, then i would be immensley(sp) appreciative.

p.s. if you could do that i would take you for a spin in mine when its complete. (hopefully with a different outcome.)

cheers
-muz
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Finally legal 13b turbo ae86 Tue, 01 March 2005 10:21 Go to previous message
very true.. but i cant help people cuttin me off on a hiway doin 60 in a 100 zone.... Razz...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:regrind 2tg cams
Next Topic:n/a ca18
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 20:58:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069091320037842 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.